$300 Windows 10 Surface Pro lookalike makes its crowdfunding debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I keep going back and forth on this. I truly cannot decide to pull the trigger OR to just move on. Time is running out to get the IndieGoGo pricing. Thoughtful advice would be appreciated.

I'm traveling overseas to Portugal this fall. Is it worth getting the SurBook? Should I just take my laptop and save the $400 (SurBook 128GB w/ keyboard & stylus) to spend in Lisboa?

Currently I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3543 that was purchased just about 2 months before W10 hit, so it was built for Windows 8.1 (but it is up to date with W10 v1703 15063.413).
  • Intel Core i3-5005U (3M L3 Cache, 2.00 GHz, dual-core)
  • Intel HD Graphics 5500
  • 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz
  • 15.6" display, 1366 x 768 pixels, touch screen
  • 1TB SATA 5400RPM hard drive
  • Built-in DVD+/-RW
  • HDMI 1.4a, (2x) USB A 2.0, (1x) USB A 3.0, SD card
  • 10/100 Mbps Ethernet network, Dell Wireless-N 1705 @ 2.4GHz + Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi Display support
  • 4-cell 40 WHr battery (removable)
And this is fine for what I use my computer for: web browsing, personal data management and organization, storage, documents, light photo/video editing, streaming video to TV...

If I got the SurBook, I don't foresee a storage issue. I can get a quality Samsung UHS-III 128GB SDXC card for about $45 and I have a 500GB SATA 5400RPM hard drive in a USB 3.0 external shell.

Perceived Disadvantages:
  • Slower clock speed on the Apollo Lake SoC (yet it is just a bit faster in turbo mode)
  • Loss of screen real estate
  • Loss of internal storage requiring workarounds
  • Loss of GPU power (? I'm a bit fuzzy on this ?)
  • Loss of Optical Drive (which I never use much anymore, but I do have archived materials and x86 programs in that format)
  • Loss of HDMI port (although I do prefer my ScreenBeam mini 2 Continuum Edition for ease vs wired setup)
  • Sealed battery
Perceived Advantages:
  • Major weight savings and portability advantages
  • 50% more RAM
  • Higher ppi and actual pen support should get me inking more
  • USB C added and double the number of USB A 3.0 ports
  • Without knowing the direct mAh to WHr conversion it would still appear on paper that the SurBook should yield longer battery run time
  • Gain 5GHz WiFi capability

It's really a tough decision, so as I said any thoughtful advice is greatly appreciated. I have about 2 weeks left to decide and lock in the $100 savings.

Thanks in advance.

Well the portability and dedicated tablet form would probably be great for travelling. The device will probably handle light video and photo editing fine.

The other hand is that travelling burns through cash like a fire, and your existing laptop would be okay, if a bit bulky.

At this stage I'd say the main unknown with this will be how good the keyboard/trackpad is. At the price point, and with the brand and attention, you've got to assume they'll put in some effort. I'm not saying it's questionable by any means, but its something premium devices often get better. Could be absolutely great, and at 300 bucks, you'd kind of assume that its decent, but its a slight unknown until release/review.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
At this stage I'd say the main unknown with this will be how good the keyboard/trackpad is.

Great point. So I did some research on Amazon. Keyboards they have made get mixed reviews and are actually hard to dig up. The keyboard for the Hi 8 seems serviceable enough... Except they add a weird gesture to minimize open windows that is apparently easily spoofed by normal hand gestures. Can be disabled with a script.

I'd disable the trackpad at startup though. Can't stand them. I'd use the pen for a mouse or an actual mouse. If the keyboard was mush, I have a nice BT keyboard that suits me.

Mostly I'm looking at it from a RAM, display, pen perspective. I've been shopping it around and can't find anything offering similar value for the money.

Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it. LOL

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Great point. So I did some research on Amazon. Keyboards they have made get mixed reviews and are actually hard to dig up. The keyboard for the Hi 8 seems serviceable enough... Except they add a weird gesture to minimize open windows that is apparently easily spoofed by normal hand gestures. Can be disabled with a script.

I'd disable the trackpad at startup though. Can't stand them. I'd use the pen for a mouse or an actual mouse. If the keyboard was mush, I have a nice BT keyboard that suits me.

Mostly I'm looking at it from a RAM, display, pen perspective. I've been shopping it around and can't find anything offering similar value for the money.

Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it. LOL

Trackpads are kind of annoying anyway. There's always a nice slimline mouse too.

There may well be third party keyboards for it as well. Quite often the magnetic connectors have some cross compatibility.

IDK, I think the Hi10 keyboard was pretty good, but the Hi13, had that weird gesture scenario. I think though at the price, they should do it right.

Value wise its gold. Few people doing Apollo lakes in china, especially with 6gb of ram and the surface book screen. That market offers unparalleled value for money, and every now and then, the product has no real compromises. The Hi10 was an example of that.

IDK, I trust three tablet makers in china - chuwi, teclast, and xiaomi. Generally what they do is good, and even when its not perfect, its still good. Whilst the keyboard on the Hi13 isn't perfect, its still amazing for what it is.

Helps that the Hi13 sort of gave them a practice round for this, as far as the pen, screen, keyboard goes.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks @Drael646464

I think that helps a lot hearing about your Chuwi keyboard experiences. I also like that the pen is 1024 levels of pressure instead of just the 256 they have been running. Like I said, I want a real inking experience.

Guess I'm gonna do this thing.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm in. Pledged the $399 this afternoon. It really does look to be a good value and I have zero doubts that they will deliver this product to market.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Getting closer to the free Tempered Glass Screen Protector for all pre-orders. They need $600k and they are at $590k with 13 days left...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077