Brad Sams: Microsoft Looking to Reboot Mobile with New Software and Hardware

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I mentioned this in the positive WP thread. His last podcast was tilted something to the effect of, Good news for WP fans. Still a year away but I can easily stay on my 735 for another yr and wait it out.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think it could be interesting. If Microsoft really is planning another reboot, how will they handle us hardcore Windows Mobile fans? How will they address the negative PR and pessimistic media? Will Microsoft finally learn how to properly communicate with their consumers?
Or will they write this off as another "enterprise only" venture and leave it at that?

Also, where will I be with my Lumia 950's?

There's still a lot of questions here, and not a lot of answers. But at the same time, we already knew Microsoft was testing prototypes and inevitably software for those prototypes. We'll just have to see what happens.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If this really was the plan, to ditch win10m, I don't see why they'd be working on new features with HP. Doesn't make economic sense. win10m, is also listed in code referring to composable shell, along side Andromeda in recent builds.

Doesn't compute. Why would they develop these things intending to drop the platform?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If this really was the plan, to ditch win10m, I don't see why they'd be working on new features with HP. Doesn't make economic sense. win10m, is also listed in code referring to composable shell, along side Andromeda in recent builds.

Doesn't compute. Why would they develop these things intending to drop the platform?

Windows 10 Mobile is built right now for enterpise/corporate IMO. I think it will be a branch in itself. Yes that article speculates though and it is really in the air until the "fat lady sings".

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think it could be interesting. If Microsoft really is planning another reboot, how will they handle us hardcore Windows Mobile fans? How will they address the negative PR and pessimistic media? Will Microsoft finally learn how to properly communicate with their consumers?
Or will they write this off as another "enterprise only" venture and leave it at that?

Also, where will I be with my Lumia 950's?

There's still a lot of questions here, and not a lot of answers. But at the same time, we already knew Microsoft was testing prototypes and inevitably software for those prototypes. We'll just have to see what happens.

I second your comment!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile is built right now for enterpise/corporate IMO. I think it will be a branch in itself. Yes that article speculates though and it is really in the air until the "fat lady sings".

Well could be they intend to keep win10m as enterprise focused. I think it will stay as a branch of some sort though. In fact I suspect they have features for it already they are holding back, such as the continuum improvements, nitelite - that are already baked, they are just waiting for something (perhaps the one core work, or maybe a new phone to demo it on).

There's a lot of speculation in both articles. I'm not really sure we can call this new hardware and accompanying platform a "mobile refresh", it may not even technically be called a phone, its going to be a catergory, apart from slabs either way. Just like the hybrid didn't replace tablets or laptops, but carved out something new, that's probably what this will do - create a new market segment, that lives at an intersection of other things.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It is hard to say. I bet though that it is got the consumer in mind, the user of Windows (XX). But if like you say it is carving out a niche, then it will not be geared at all the Nokia fans or Lumia may not even be in the picture as we suspect. I hope we see it come Fall.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So I read both of those articles. Interesting to say the least.

But I do have one question. As this is now iteration three or four for windows phone/mobile? I've lost count.

If other efforts have produced little to no interest and now MS is more or less 'forgotten' in the mobile space, my question is what can they do to even get people interested in what they bring out?

It doesn't matter if they have the best hardware or the best OS experience or anything else. At the end of the day people want to know what they can do with the device and how they can connect with their friends and family on other platforms. And, yes, apps. I'm sorry, but that's reality.

Unless they get developers and others on board we're in the same place as before.

Worst still is if they do intend to make Windows 10 mobile 'enterprise' and have CSHELL for mobile all that's going to do is confuse people. Which again, is nothing new for MS, they're experts at that.

I love new and exciting tech. It's the thing that drew me to Windows Phone 8. However, I'm at a loss what MS can do now to entice people over to use their devices. Not many people are that interested in a 'desktop' experience on mobile. So why use a Windows device? What's the advantage? What it's got that the consumer wants or needs or can't have elsewhere? These are the questions that MS needs to answer with whatever they do.

I'll keep watching as I'm curious but I don't personally see what will change people's minds.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully the Editors will write an "In-depth" article about this soon. Dan Rubino said they had info on Mobile like 4 weeks ago and that they were going to write about it "in the following weeks". Come one man, why are you torturing us :cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa