06-11-2017 10:27 AM
38 12
tools
    05-30-2017 08:21 AM
    Hmm that's interesting. I'm curious about this.
    Josiah23, kaktus1389 and ven07 like this.
    05-30-2017 08:24 AM
    I mentioned this in the positive WP thread. His last podcast was tilted something to the effect of, Good news for WP fans. Still a year away but I can easily stay on my 735 for another yr and wait it out.

Twitter: @PhotographyET
    ven07 and libra89 like this.
    05-30-2017 08:51 AM
    It's almost becoming cyclical.
    Muessig, ven07, jmshub and 1 others like this.
    05-30-2017 12:53 PM
    It's almost becoming cyclical.
    capture.png

Bahaha
    libra89, ven07, nate0 and 2 others like this.
    05-30-2017 01:18 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	182 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	135953

Bahaha
    Except I see that he's trying to validate WC's optimism, which has a place I admit, but it's missing the part where MS was actually neglecting it all too.
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    05-30-2017 04:29 PM
    Except I see that he's trying to validate WC's optimism, which has a place I admit, but it's missing the part where MS was actually neglecting it all too.
    To be fair, this was his next tweet:

capture.png
    05-30-2017 05:53 PM
    They better offer a trade in program :)
    05-30-2017 09:40 PM
    I think it could be interesting. If Microsoft really is planning another reboot, how will they handle us hardcore Windows Mobile fans? How will they address the negative PR and pessimistic media? Will Microsoft finally learn how to properly communicate with their consumers?
    Or will they write this off as another "enterprise only" venture and leave it at that?

Also, where will I be with my Lumia 950's?

There's still a lot of questions here, and not a lot of answers. But at the same time, we already knew Microsoft was testing prototypes and inevitably software for those prototypes. We'll just have to see what happens.
    05-30-2017 09:45 PM
    Its Andromeda. Its a detachable clamshell with two screens.
    nate0 likes this.
    05-30-2017 11:18 PM
    05-30-2017 11:41 PM
    If this really was the plan, to ditch win10m, I don't see why they'd be working on new features with HP. Doesn't make economic sense. win10m, is also listed in code referring to composable shell, along side Andromeda in recent builds.

Doesn't compute. Why would they develop these things intending to drop the platform?
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    05-31-2017 12:03 AM
    To be fair, this was his next tweet:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	174 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	135954
    Okay he got me! Either way, I'm still intrigued!
    libra89 likes this.
    05-31-2017 12:28 AM
    If this really was the plan, to ditch win10m, I don't see why they'd be working on new features with HP. Doesn't make economic sense. win10m, is also listed in code referring to composable shell, along side Andromeda in recent builds.

Doesn't compute. Why would they develop these things intending to drop the platform?
    Windows 10 Mobile is built right now for enterpise/corporate IMO. I think it will be a branch in itself. Yes that article speculates though and it is really in the air until the "fat lady sings".
    Player Piano, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    05-31-2017 12:41 AM
    I think it could be interesting. If Microsoft really is planning another reboot, how will they handle us hardcore Windows Mobile fans? How will they address the negative PR and pessimistic media? Will Microsoft finally learn how to properly communicate with their consumers?
    Or will they write this off as another "enterprise only" venture and leave it at that?

Also, where will I be with my Lumia 950's?

There's still a lot of questions here, and not a lot of answers. But at the same time, we already knew Microsoft was testing prototypes and inevitably software for those prototypes. We'll just have to see what happens.
    I second your comment!
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    05-31-2017 12:51 AM
    Windows 10 Mobile is built right now for enterpise/corporate IMO. I think it will be a branch in itself. Yes that article speculates though and it is really in the air until the "fat lady sings".
    Well could be they intend to keep win10m as enterprise focused. I think it will stay as a branch of some sort though. In fact I suspect they have features for it already they are holding back, such as the continuum improvements, nitelite - that are already baked, they are just waiting for something (perhaps the one core work, or maybe a new phone to demo it on).

There's a lot of speculation in both articles. I'm not really sure we can call this new hardware and accompanying platform a "mobile refresh", it may not even technically be called a phone, its going to be a catergory, apart from slabs either way. Just like the hybrid didn't replace tablets or laptops, but carved out something new, that's probably what this will do - create a new market segment, that lives at an intersection of other things.
    nate0 likes this.
    05-31-2017 01:08 AM
    It is hard to say. I bet though that it is got the consumer in mind, the user of Windows (XX). But if like you say it is carving out a niche, then it will not be geared at all the Nokia fans or Lumia may not even be in the picture as we suspect. I hope we see it come Fall.
    05-31-2017 01:28 AM
    So I read both of those articles. Interesting to say the least.

But I do have one question. As this is now iteration three or four for windows phone/mobile? I've lost count.

If other efforts have produced little to no interest and now MS is more or less 'forgotten' in the mobile space, my question is what can they do to even get people interested in what they bring out?

It doesn't matter if they have the best hardware or the best OS experience or anything else. At the end of the day people want to know what they can do with the device and how they can connect with their friends and family on other platforms. And, yes, apps. I'm sorry, but that's reality.

Unless they get developers and others on board we're in the same place as before.

Worst still is if they do intend to make Windows 10 mobile 'enterprise' and have CSHELL for mobile all that's going to do is confuse people. Which again, is nothing new for MS, they're experts at that.

I love new and exciting tech. It's the thing that drew me to Windows Phone 8. However, I'm at a loss what MS can do now to entice people over to use their devices. Not many people are that interested in a 'desktop' experience on mobile. So why use a Windows device? What's the advantage? What it's got that the consumer wants or needs or can't have elsewhere? These are the questions that MS needs to answer with whatever they do.

I'll keep watching as I'm curious but I don't personally see what will change people's minds.
    libra89, jmshub, aximtreo and 2 others like this.
    05-31-2017 06:23 AM
    Hopefully the Editors will write an "In-depth" article about this soon. Dan Rubino said they had info on Mobile like 4 weeks ago and that they were going to write about it "in the following weeks". Come one man, why are you torturing us
    05-31-2017 09:37 AM
    I can use my 1520 for one more year... I hope
    nate0 likes this.
    05-31-2017 11:41 AM
    Brad just released another podcast, very short, while he is on vacation. He wanted to because he got more confirmation that MS is working on a phone. He also stated that it will be released sooner than he first thought and that the software for it might even be released in July. Wow. He also said he doesn't believe it will be a slab style phone but didn't know what it might be. Keep in mind, Brad has been a "WP phone is dead" cheerleader for the last year or so. This is good news.

Sent from mTalk
    Player Piano, nate0 and aximtreo like this.
    06-02-2017 07:59 AM
    Thought this really should be posted here, just so people understand this phone will be quite different from existing phones. Andromeda has two sets of gyros and a hinge angle value - its nothing like a slab:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/up...ml#post3670664
    nate0 likes this.
    06-03-2017 04:27 AM

It's not unheard of in the Enterprise sector. Windows Mobile 6.5 was officially killed off just this year when they dropped support for Symbol/Motorola devices. We all thought WinMo was dead 7 years ago but that was only for us lowly consumers. A similar case is that with BlackBerry OS10. There are many corporate and government customers out there still using the platform. This week BBM was updated to support video calling between OS10 and Android devices. But here's the kicker, the update does nothing for non-Enterprise (us) users. We may not know it but there may be a gaggle of corporate users with Elite x3s out there and Microsoft can't just drop them on a whim. They kept WinMo fully-featured all these years so keeping W10M going for a few more isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    xandros9, Keith White Jr and nate0 like this.
    06-03-2017 11:27 AM
    It's not unheard of in the Enterprise sector. Windows Mobile 6.5 was officially killed off just this year when they dropped support for Symbol/Motorola devices. We all thought WinMo was dead 7 years ago but that was only for us lowly consumers. A similar case is that with BlackBerry OS10. There are many corporate and government customers out there still using the platform. This week BBM was updated to support video calling between OS10 and Android devices. But here's the kicker, the update does nothing for non-Enterprise (us) users. We may not know it but there may be a gaggle of corporate users with Elite x3s out there and Microsoft can't just drop them on a whim. They kept WinMo fully-featured all these years so keeping W10M going for a few more isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    It keeps things ticking.
    06-03-2017 07:32 PM
    Consumers will still be getting the productivity features here. And we'll also be getting timeline, Cortana skills etc. I suspect we'll also get the continuum updates, nitelight, FDS, composable shell.

Perhaps that is all for the benefit of enterprise users, but there is an installed userbase of 2.5% in the US, a fair bit higher than OS10 for BB, and not all enterprise users. It would seem smart to cultivate those users good will for what is to come.

I also don't see why they'd end win10m with nothing to replace it. Andromeda isn't for slab phones, hardware wise, its to phones, what hybrids are to tablets. It's actually specific to detachable dual screens, from what I can tell, the OS SKU that pairs with the new device. IMO MSFT will want to keep win10m for awhile yet (they'll probably use it as a basis for a new slab, single screen OS released late 2018, after the new fork and WoA and tablets/laptops has had time to boost the app situation)

Hey, maybe I am wrong, but I see MSFTs plans for mobile a little differently from many fans. I see as something that unfolds, piece by piece in a particular order of priority, rather than all at once. More of a series of phases.

If Andromeda really comes soon, then it will not suddenly displace the entire slab phone market, anymore than the surface and hybrids displaced the tablet market overnight. More like a growing wedge within the market.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 06-03-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    nate0 likes this.
    06-03-2017 07:57 PM
38 12