Is Intel's Compute Card the next mobile device that Microsoft was talking about?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Intel's compute card will be a game changer. It will provide mobility like never before. Is this the ultimate mobile device that Microsoft hinted about few days back? If it is, then it will be really interesting to see the software side of it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I really don't think it is. As interesting as the Compute Card is, it's nothing more than a continuation of recent trends. It's another compute stick that's trying to chase the "modular" fad everyone has been hoping for the last few years. Yes, it might be a big thing, but it's not "the next big thing." I'm sure, if thermal management and price points are correct, that the Compute Card will be a truly useful and innovative device. It reduces the cost and risk of moving your entire PC around. However, it's not what Microsoft is looking for. Ten years from now, not everyone is going to be carrying one of these instead of a smartphone.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Consider this. Today if you want to upgrade your laptop, you have to replace the whole unit. That may include a4k display and JBL speakers. That makes no sense. With compute card, all you need to do is to replace the old card with a newer card just like your replace hard disk.

Similarly, for OEMs, it's cost effective as they do not have to care about cooling issues and assembling motherboards and all those things.

I think, it's an abstraction of a new kind. Plus it provides you mobility. You don't need to carry your laptop. Just carry this card with inbuilt storage. Say good bye to those larger laptop bags!

It may replace help mobiles. The difference between this card and other pc sticks is that connectivity on it is not limited to HDMI port and its much more portable.

I really don't think it is. As interesting as the Compute Card is, it's nothing more than a continuation of recent trends. It's another compute stick that's trying to chase the "modular" fad everyone has been hoping for the last few years. Yes, it might be a big thing, but it's not "the next big thing." I'm sure, if thermal management and price points are correct, that the Compute Card will be a truly useful and innovative device. It reduces the cost and risk of moving your entire PC around. However, it's not what Microsoft is looking for. Ten years from now, not everyone is going to be carrying one of these instead of a smartphone.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Consider this. Today if you want to upgrade your laptop, you have to replace the whole unit. That may include a4k display and JBL speakers. That makes no sense. With compute card, all you need to do is to replace the old card with a newer card just like your replace hard disk.

Similarly, for OEMs, it's cost effective as they do not have to care about cooling issues and assembling motherboards and all those things.

I think, it's an abstraction of a new kind. Plus it provides you mobility. You don't need to carry your laptop. Just carry this card with inbuilt storage. Say good bye to those larger laptop bags!

It may replace help mobiles. The difference between this card and other pc sticks is that connectivity on it is not limited to HDMI port and its much more portable.

I understand your point, but I don't think it's a viable future. Not with the way people handle their devices and information. That universe sounds promising, but I think it's far more simpler and actually more cost effective to simply carry one computer or a phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon