Description of Surface Mobile leaked by MS china social account

Ray Shum

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot_2017-06-06-00-27-25-1367332622.jpg
At midnight of 6th June GMT+8, MS China's social account in Bilibili (a video site) posted an odd video called Prototype No.1706 description & media auto-posting test P10 [delete in 18h]

The cover image showed Microsoft Surface Mobile, while the description of the video wrote This is more than a mobile device. Based on Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ platform, it ensures the balance between performance and battery life, and can greatly empower your productivity. Introducing ONTO-TABLET Projection Continuum, which enables you to work with desktop programmes for more than an hour. The kickstand can be opened to 185°. With one press on the special-built Surface Pen, you can easily launch OneNote and start your writing. Introducing Surface Peking and Surface Slavonia, the mobile device that can be your workstation. Learn more at http://Surface.com/

The video itself is simply an old showcase of Windows 10 Hero wallpaper, and was deleted in one or two hours. There is no futher information and the existances of so-called Surface Peking and Surface Slavonia are still remain to be proven.

Related articles of CN tech media:
IT home - 微软科技B站疑曝光Surface Phone:支架铰链、投影式Continuum、Surface Pen
NetEase Mobile - 微软科技B站疑曝光Surface Phone:有手写笔

Last edited:

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
there was also an api posted that pointed to a hinged device. Interesting stuff indeed.

Seems that platform at this point is called Andromeda and that directly referred to it as surface phone=andromedaDBm4S5NUMAAL12t.jpg

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
there was also an api posted that pointed to a hinged device. Interesting stuff indeed.

Seems that platform at this point is called Andromeda and that directly referred to it as surface phone=andromedaView attachment 136140

No see these are different.

"Andromeda":

Is a detachable hinge clamshell device like that featured in microsoft's aspiration videos. As you can see from the two separate gyros and hinge value in the code above. It has its own OS variant.

It will look vaguely like this (from the aspiration videos):

View attachment 135864

Surface Peking and Slovania (this):

Is a phone with "table projection" - that is it can project a continuum screen onto your work space for an hour, no screen required - and it has a hinge, active stylus that operates like the surface pro. There's two variants.

Table projection is this type of thing (you can touch trigger the table like a tablet via infrared sensors - this is a sony device, obviously not a phone though):

sony-xperia-projector-5.jpg

Essentially your surface phone will be able to play giant tablet, in continuum mode, on a table, for an hour. And the two devices themselves will look vaguely like this:

Microsoft-Surface-Phone-concept-2016-Bartlomiej-4.jpg

So this isn't ONE Microsoft phone,

It's not TWO Microsoft phones,

Its THREE goddamn catergory defining Microsoft phones.

MS said mobile wasn't a priority and we believed them lol. All the while they are working on three catergory breaking phones! What a trick :p

We didn't even know if we'd get ONE. "Satya:...oh we'll probably make phones again one day" *whilst ACTIVELY working on THREE phones. He should play poker!

Last edited:

monster5

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
i don't think that Microsoft will release a new windows mobile they lost all the market share that they got in the last years and people (me :p) will not trust Microsoft and buy from them phones any more

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I think this has a grain of truth, not a large one, but one nonetheless. With Windows 10 Mobile on Feature 2 branch permanently and Microsoft rebooting the phone OS again (apparently) this does make a lot of sense.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think this has a grain of truth, not a large one, but one nonetheless. With Windows 10 Mobile on Feature 2 branch permanently and Microsoft rebooting the phone OS again (apparently) this does make a lot of sense.

Theres like a grain of facts in what you said. There is no current plan to move win10m from feature2 (although it will be getting features there, so not to panic).

The second part though is just something windows bloggers and various fans have made up. No official MSFT source has said anything about a "reboot".

L0rdG1gabyt3

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I would sooooo love for this to be true! Unfortunately, I doubt this device will help with the app experience. My wife and daughter have moved on from WM10 onto an iPhone7 and Android device respectively, and I get a bit jealous when I see apps like FB load quickly (and on the first time), perform properly, and be feature current. Unless FB sees a future here, its going to stay terrible.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I would sooooo love for this to be true! Unfortunately, I doubt this device will help with the app experience. My wife and daughter have moved on from WM10 onto an iPhone7 and Android device respectively, and I get a bit jealous when I see apps like FB load quickly (and on the first time), perform properly, and be feature current. Unless FB sees a future here, its going to stay terrible.

There's a couple of webwrapper apps on win10m that run faster than the official app, like slimsocial.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Theres like a grain of facts in what you said. There is no current plan to move win10m from feature2 (although it will be getting features there, so not to panic).

The second part though is just something windows bloggers and various fans have made up. No official MSFT source has said anything about a "reboot".

If Thurrott reports it, then it is most certainly true:
https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/117153/microsofts-looking-reboot-mobile-new-software-hardware

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

"Two independent sources inside of Microsoft have told me that there is a new hardware device being tested internally and that there is also a separate branch of Windows Mobile for this device."

You see thurott interprets this as "reboot". But if you think about what he's actually been told, that its a "branch", its obvious its not a reboot. A branch, isn't a reboot. A branch is a fork in the road, it means that there is another "branch" ie win10m. Two OS SKUs, one for the new device, and one for the current devices.

Pretty logical if you consider it.

It seems IMO to be talking about Andromeda.

Andromeda, because its a new form factor, with as far as I can tell, dual detachable screens, requires its own OS. Obviously win10m wasn't designed for that sort of application.

Check here, in my thread, which discusses code found, and aspirational videos, that came about well before all this recent talk of new phone hardware.

And keep in mind the COO of surface division and the CEO of MSFT words about "will not look like phones do today". When MSFT releases a phone, it will not look like phones today. That is, it won't just have a hinge and a keyboard slapped on, it won't just have different software, but it will be a radical departure from slab smartphones.

They were both teasing a current project - Andromeda.

Anyway, here's the thread I made:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/u...phones/459251-andromeda-what.html#post3670664

Here's one of the parts of code that was found:

https://mobile.twitter.com/h0x0d/status/865492892734730241

Here's the code showing Andromeda is an sku of windows, like win10m is:

https://mobile.twitter.com/h0x0d/sta...92892734730241

*God dang it, one of thems been taken down, see next post

And here's a screen cap of the detachable clamshell dual screen design, from microsofts much earlier aspirational video:

View attachment 135864

As you can see, this stuff, which (sorry to repeat this) is actually part of the windows code, is a lot more concrete than whispers from his insiders (although they entirely match, which does make me wonder if the similar whispers about "one last Lumia this year to tide us over until the new thing" might also be true). And it shows what is obvious linguistically, "a branch" is not a reboot, it's a deviation from, it's a new device catergory with matching OS.

People have been saying reboot for so long now, all this surface phone, windows on arm on a phone, ultramobile blah, blah, I don't think a lot of these bloggers can see the wood for the trees any more. Almost everything they hear no matter what it is, they see "reboot". They are "reboot mad".

The writing is right there on the wall of the current windows code - this is a new SKU (ie branch of the OS), based on win10m, with a "hinge value" and TWO SEPERATE sets of gyros. It's not a reboot, its a new type of product, like the surface was.

And despite there being hard proof in the windows code, none of these bloggers remotely see this coming. They are being dropped clues all over the place, and they still haven't got it. Reboot this, cshell that. The CEO made it completely clear what their intention was. The COO echoed his words. They literally showed us what it might look like in a video, and now these leakers are telling us "new branch based on win10m", but...still they imagine some slab phone with a new OS being the next step......

That said, blog writers are not serious journalists. They are click farms. They make money with sensationalist titles, and their only intergerity or accuracy requirements are hardware/software reviews, and tech events. The rest of the time, they have full license to ramble whatever speculative whatever they like - and are encouraged to, if people click the link, buy into the speculation, and spread it to their friends.

It's a bit like the "converting to apple" articles on the main page here. You know they only do that because like an article on feminism, the feminists click to support, the anti-feminists click to hate, and nobody wins but the advertising revenue and google rankings.

I'm not saying I know exactly what this "Andromeda" device is, or what it will be called. But if there's a new branch of windows, with a matching mobile device- well that's in the code already, was spotted awhile back, its this, which is absolutely not a reboot, it's not even nessasarily a replacement. Its a totally new, separate, thing, with a different type of useage, like hybrid tablets were, when they released the first surface.

Amusing side note: Virtually all windows bloggers seem to think Andromeda is something to do with cshell, because someone said it once, and Chinese whispers. So far as I know, no blogger has reported on these code discoveries that actually make it pretty clear what Andromeda is, and what the "new device with a new os' is. The site we are on, has referred to it as an aspect of cshell, and I imagine thurott probably has to. Blogs aren't nessasarily authorities. Heck, news channels aren't. Not saying I am, I get plenty wrong, but with this one, actually all the pieces of evidence are clearer than they usually are with these things.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I just realized, that quite suspiciously, the link showing that Andromeda has a hinge value, and two separate gyros is gone.

The one about the SKU part is still there. I'm willing to be Microsoft shut that down. It was still there about two weeks ago (ask nate W, Pm him, he found that tweet before I did)

No wonder though, they probably have NDA's up the wazoo' and don't want this leaked too early.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium