ARM-powered Surface 4

samuele dassatti

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Do you think an ARM-powered 10" Surface is likely to be released next year or it will be replaced by Microsoft's new foldable device?

I hope it will be available in the first months of 2018, but since no one is talking about it, I'm starting to have doubts about it.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I pretty much asked the same thing a few days ago......"is windows on arm still a thing we can expect in the near future"....I got one response from someone who said he can't see the point of windows on arm.

So basically he can't see the point of a ultra thin, highly portable device with always connected capability and a battery life that'll last days. Ok then.

Here's the thing that has me wondering what the deal is: Microsoft announced Windows on Arm in late 2016. Since then we've seen one or two demonstrations and that's about it. According to several Microsoft focussed tech sites we were due to see Windows on Arm devices in stores and available to buy before the end of the year. Unless I've missed something in the news I haven't heard of a single device partner that's about to launch a new windows on arm device anytime soon.

I think it's been delayed. Whether that's because they want to tie it into the supposed launch of Andromeda in 2018 or whether manufacturing partners aren't building for it is anyone's guess.

All I know is that up until a couple of months ago there were dozens of articles online about Windows on Arm but since about September it's been crickets.

I've sent a question to the Ask Dan forum page asking if he has any updates. Will be interesting to see if he picks up the question and responds

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think we can expect Microsoft to release an ARM based device, however everything is possible at Microsoft - you never know when shareholders (Nadella) will see it as unprofitable.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much asked the same thing a few days ago......"is windows on arm still a thing we can expect in the near future"....I got one response from someone who said he can't see the point of windows on arm.

So basically he can't see the point of a ultra thin, highly portable device with always connected capability and a battery life that'll last days. Ok then.

Here's the thing that has me wondering what the deal is: Microsoft announced Windows on Arm in late 2016. Since then we've seen one or two demonstrations and that's about it. According to several Microsoft focussed tech sites we were due to see Windows on Arm devices in stores and available to buy before the end of the year. Unless I've missed something in the news I haven't heard of a single device partner that's about to launch a new windows on arm device anytime soon.

I think it's been delayed. Whether that's because they want to tie it into the supposed launch of Andromeda in 2018 or whether manufacturing partners aren't building for it is anyone's guess.

All I know is that up until a couple of months ago there were dozens of articles online about Windows on Arm but since about September it's been crickets.

I've sent a question to the Ask Dan forum page asking if he has any updates. Will be interesting to see if he picks up the question and responds

A while back, Intel was passive-aggressively threatening legal action over the emulation of x86 on ARM. I wonder if that's causing delays?

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/117948/intel-threatens-sue-qualcomm-windows-10

qqquiop23

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
There was a leak last week about a device HP will release in December. I'm possibly interested if the Intel SA 00086 vulnerabilities aren't addressed for the Surface Pro, although the Snapdragon 835 has had its own security problems.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There was a leak last week about a device HP will release in December. I'm possibly interested if the Intel SA 00086 vulnerabilities aren't addressed for the Surface Pro, although the Snapdragon 835 has had its own security problems.

It's generally given anything that is coded, can be reversed engineered through various means and equipment.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am not holding my breath to ever see Windows on ARM see the light of day. Like so many other things, it's just faded away and will never be spoken of again.

PsychoSuperman

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I think an ARM based Surface is a foregone conclusion, but what I would like to see is a SurfaceBook version....

If they made the screen ARM powered when detached, but it had the DGPU and an i7 in the performance base, it would be crazy.

Lightweight, long life tablet with LTE meets powerhouse graphics and processing power when docked. Don't know if a co-processor setup would work, but it would be nice.

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you think an ARM-powered 10" Surface is likely to be released next year or it will be replaced by Microsoft's new foldable device?

I hope it will be available in the first months of 2018, but since no one is talking about it, I'm starting to have doubts about it.

I think they'd be smart to bring out a SD 845 powered 10" surface 4 device. I think there is still a market for a sub-$500, premium-feeling device. It just needs to be marketed to death as not being a RT device (i.e. store apps only). That false info is still floating around out there, so if a consumer even gets a whiff of non-x86 CPU, it'd be DOA.

A 10inch device that can last days? Sign me up.

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I think they'd be smart to bring out a SD 845 powered 10" surface 4 device. I think there is still a market for a sub-$500, premium-feeling device. It just needs to be marketed to death as not being a RT device (i.e. store apps only). That false info is still floating around out there, so if a consumer even gets a whiff of non-x86 CPU, it'd be DOA.

A 10inch device that can last days? Sign me up.

You are assuming it won't be store only. It might only be compatible with Centennial apps.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

how about a 6" ARM powered surface that has LTE?

samuele dassatti

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
That would be pretty cool. As a OneNote user and a developer that has published a Windows Ink app, I would find myself using it all the times to jot down some notes when I need to. That said, Windows doesn't scale that well on smaller screens so I highly doubt we will see it in the near future (maybe when CShell will be available).

BTW, if you're interested in the Windows Ink app I mentioned, it is called Fluently.

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
And how about it can charge of a USB port and not need the supplied 12w charger to charge it. My wife tries charging in our Foed Explorers USB to charge her Surface 3, but it's not enough to charge it, it takes forever to charge.

1DaveN

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I absolutely love my Surface 3 - smaller and cheaper than the Pro, it's perfect for reading or watching content around the house, and I use it almost every day. I'd love to see them come out with an updated model, and ARM would be fine with me.

1DaveN

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Cowboy6201 - check out the Anker chargers that plug into the power port (cigarette lighter). They make ones with 12w per port.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
If it's ready for prime time why not. As long as it is a premium device that cost less than the Surface Pro I might buy it out right. Need a big tablet that can do everything I can do in a desktop. That is if ARM Windows can actually run win32 apps.

GreyFox7

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

The ARM powered Surface is something that will stand on it's own and doesn't need the foldable gimmick. I have been waiting for this since before the Surface 3 was released. I was very happy with the Surface 2 and a new device using a powerful ARM SoC with the enhancements of Windows 10 on ARM is just what the doctor ordered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss