So no Surface Phone yet, make your own...why do I get that old HTC HD2 hack feeling?

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
greywolf, whats your views on Windows rt vs Windows phone
I never used Windows rt but from YouTube videos what I see is that Windows rt had all the features that Windows phone lacked.
snap multitasking,usb peripherals support,ability to connect external monitor,xbox controller support etc.at that time I think it was even better then ios,android tablets.lack of developer interest, lack of cheaper mini tablets and arrival of baytrail powerd tablets doomed Windows rt.
Always wondered why lumia 1520 is not as versatile as lumia 2520 or surface rt 2.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
greywolf, whats your views on Windows rt vs Windows phone
I never used Windows rt but from YouTube videos what I see is that Windows rt had all the features that Windows phone lacked.
snap multitasking,usb peripherals support,ability to connect external monitor,xbox controller support etc.at that time I think it was even better then ios,android tablets.lack of developer interest, lack of cheaper mini tablets and arrival of baytrail powerd tablets doomed Windows rt.
Always wondered why lumia 1520 is not as versatile as lumia 2520 or surface rt 2.

Windows RT was good !!! I played around with the original Surface RT and loved it!!! If you added some phone UI items and shrunk it down it would perfect!

So there is hope yet for the 1520 if they get the hack right.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Windows RT was good !!! I played around with the original Surface RT and loved it!!! If you added some phone UI items and shrunk it down it would perfect!

So there is hope yet for the 1520 if they get the hack right.
I don't own pc or laptop,although I will buy one in near future. I am someone who's computing started with phone's so my in depth knowledge regarding desktop os is really weak.
I want to know how Microsoft can adapt full windows on phones. When I read on internet regarding pc problems like driver failures,forceful os updates,viruses etc. How future mobile device running on Windows will tackle it?
Will it be as simple as android or ios mobile operating systems that just works?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows RT ( and to some part Windows on Arm ) may look just like it's bigger brother, however they are built on different chips. So a virus for Windows PC for the most part will not work on Phone Windows RT and Windows on Arm. Much in the same way a Windows Virus can not attack an Apple Mac.

Now Windows on Arm will come from the shop with Windows 10 S, which means you will not be able to install any extra software on the device unless it comes from the Windows Store. So much like a Windows Phone, Android, and Apple iPhone you need a store to add.
Where this changes with Windows on Arm is you will have an option to turn your Windows 10 on Arm to Windows 10 Pro.
So then you can add what ever software you want, like an older version of Photoshop. However this could also mean because of the emulation in the software maybe a virus could run...I don't know that for sure.
However for at least a few years as Windows on Arm takes off hackers will ignore Windows Arm Laptop/Tablets as it would be too much work to make a virus and give little reward in return.

This is a very simple explanation but a full Windows on phone chips will be very very secure for a few years at least.

Now drivers on Windows on Arm will be different then on PC. On PC building a driver is much harder as a PC can come with any number of hardware bits, or a user can change the hardware and issues can pop up.

Windows on Arm, the hardware is set by Microsoft/Qualcom so the drivers are like a phone solid and just work, unless a bit of bad code gets out from Microsoft. However this does not happen as much as a PC user one day tries to change a video card and when he does a driver issue pops up and does not allow the PC to work.

From my own personal use of computers this has not happened to me since the days of Windows 98/ME. However I have also not built my own PC since then. I usually buy fully built as I am old and tired and I don't have the energy to trouble shoot issues. :)

I would not say your weak in terms of knowledge !!!!!! You started with a phone and are learning, you will then get a Laptop or PC or Mac or what ever and you will learn more. You are starting some where, many I know will not even learn how to send an email, they have a Smart phone to make phone calls only..........

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to assume the RT was a port over from the 2520. Except for screen size and camera a 1:1 match between 2520 and 1520. IIRC, the camera on the 2520 matches camera hardware on the 720?

Heck, the AT&T variant of 2520 even has a radio stack similar to RM-940 and RM-938. Just add telephony.

Shouldn't be too hard for someone with the tech skills to fix any camera/phone issues that the RT ROM might present.

As for RT, I still have a 2520 and it runs like a top. In fact, it got 2 updates this past week so patches and fixes are solid. The last Feature Set way back that transformed the UI to a Win 10 style is very nice.

IMHO, someone will make RT on 1520 viable as a daily driver soon.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to assume the RT was a port over from the 2520. Except for screen size and camera a 1:1 match between 2520 and 1520. IIRC, the camera on the 2520 matches camera hardware on the 720?

Heck, the AT&T variant of 2520 even has a radio stack similar to RM-940 and RM-938. Just add telephony.

Shouldn't be too hard for someone with the tech skills to fix any camera/phone issues that the RT ROM might present.

As for RT, I still have a 2520 and it runs like a top. In fact, it got 2 updates this past week so patches and fixes are solid. The last Feature Set way back that transformed the UI to a Win 10 style is very nice.

IMHO, someone will make RT on 1520 viable as a daily driver soon.

The 1520 is a nice testbed since they've dropped below $100 in the used phone market. But imagine what could be with newer CPUs and more RAM from say an x3? If memory serves the 1520 is a 2GB memory phone on a SD800.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...If memory serves the 1520 is a 2GB memory phone on a SD800.

Yep. And so is the 2520. Mine never lags running RT. It's always been smooth. I think RT is a good fit for the 1520.

The 2.2 GHz Quad Core Krait of the Snapdragon 800 surpassed the Nvidia Tegra SoC on Surface and Surface 2. RT can run on less CPU than the 1520 and I don't think it ever ran on more than 2GB RAM. So far as I can tell all devices ever made for RT had 2GB RAM... Except that I can't find the amount of RAM listed for the Dell XPS 10 running RT. And none of the other devices (there were like 7?) came close to the SD800.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Welp I didn't even know hacking was this far ahead lol. I did a quick search yesterday on xda and didn't come up with anything interesting. I really want to follow the developments with wpi 2.3. Windows mobile is floating in the water, but these projects could be fun for my weekends :p

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, that was a thinly veiled jab at you know who.

Ahhhh no worry, just had me confuzzed :)

My brain is rather side tracked about this, seeing as this may be the 3rd hack of this nature I get to watch from the start.

The Casio BE 300 ( Windows CE ) a PDA that had it's top menu replaced with the Shell and explorer from another CE device. That went on to run Pocket PC apps as it could flip between CE Desktop and Pocket PC UI. Once Windows Media Player got hacked onto it Casio killed it, as they had the much more expensive Casio E125 to sell.

The HTC HD2 was fun to watch Microsoft get caught out, saying new hardware was needed for Windows Phone 7 so Windows Mobile 6.5.3 was the second place prize......oops then Windows Phone 7 and then Android popped on the screens of HD2 users :)

If I have any advice at all, is wait until someone Official states a Stable ROM is available. Don't muck about with Rom flipping until the word Stable is attached. Avoid the Brick !!!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhh no worry, just had me confuzzed :)

My brain is rather side tracked about this, seeing as this may be the 3rd hack of this nature I get to watch from the start.

The Casio BE 300 ( Windows CE ) a PDA that had it's top menu replaced with the Shell and explorer from another CE device. That went on to run Pocket PC apps as it could flip between CE Desktop and Pocket PC UI. Once Windows Media Player got hacked onto it Casio killed it, as they had the much more expensive Casio E125 to sell.

The HTC HD2 was fun to watch Microsoft get caught out, saying new hardware was needed for Windows Phone 7 so Windows Mobile 6.5.3 was the second place prize......oops then Windows Phone 7 and then Android popped on the screens of HD2 users :)

If I have any advice at all, is wait until someone Official states a Stable ROM is available. Don't muck about with Rom flipping until the word Stable is attached. Avoid the Brick !!!!!
Somewhere in the depths of my external hard drive is an Energy ROM for the HD2. I believe it was the 29022 build which has the updated certs to be able to use Exchange. That was an amazing experience with WinMo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss