When will we see a new surface pro??

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It might be a while since the Surface Pro with LTE just came out. Also the 2017 one isn't so old, that might be worth a look.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Surface Pro - February 2013
Surface Pro 2 - October 2013
Surface Pro 3 - June 2014
Surface Pro 4 - October 2015
Surface Pro (2017) - June 2017

Interpret that as you see fit.

dbam987

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know? I want to buy a new one but I don’t an older model.

Definitely wait until the next version is released. The switch to quad core (Coffee Lake) will be a boost for sure. Probably by late summer they will be available, before the back to school sales begin.

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

I would expect an update this year, but not a rebuild. If expect to see a better screen, some new processor options and maybe a USBC port but that's a out it.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see an ARM based Surface without the Pro badge to replace the aging Surface 3.

In short if you are buying Top-end you are probably okay to buy now, if you are going in at the bottom maybe wait for the processor updates.

LIEBER

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I switched from Surface Pro 4 to Surface Book 2 a couple of months ago. My main gripe with the SP4 was *battery life*. I'm sure the SP 2017 is better than the SP4, but I wanted as much as possible... I actually liked the size of the SP4 better than that of the SB2, and the keyboard of the SP4 was ok (although that of the SB2 is better).

What would I wish to go for a Surface Pro next time?
* Same width/length as the SP4.
* Thinner bezel = larger screen -- say 13" instead of 12.3".
* Slightly thicker and heavier is ok -- give me similar battery life as that of the SB2.
* For my use, I don't need a fancy graphics processor, but of course, I don't mind an improvement from that of SP4.
* Fast internal SSD (like on the 1TB SB2, or faster).
* Probably Thunderbolt.
* I'd prefer SD card reader (for camera cards).
* LTE or 5G would be nice -- provided that it is possible to get unlimited data plans which don't cost an arm and a leg.
--
I'm a little puzzled by the performance of the SB2. I have run a MATLAB benchmark test on the SB2, and it is barely faster than the Surface Pro 3. Maybe because it ran on battery (throttling), maybe because the clock frequency is slower, maybe because the benchmark didn't utilize multiple cores (did it? don't know...).

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Why? They just recently came out with the model w/LTE. Why do you feel you need to wait? I had the SP3 and absolutely loved it...until I broke the screen. I bought my wife the SP4, and it just wasn't that big of an improvement over the SP3 that I felt I needed to upgrade. I didn't even feel the 2017 SP was enough of an improvement over the SP3 to upgrade, but breaking it drove me to buying a new one (even though the 2017 model was already many months old). I certainly don't need the LTE model. But the LTE model IS the newest one. I'd suggest you just go ahead and buy it if you're currently in the market. I've always felt it's silly to wait until the Next Big Thing. If you have a need NOW, buy what satisfies what you need it for NOW.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
My wife has an SP4 and I now have the 2017 SP (not the LTE). Battery life is no different, other than based on how you use it. I streamed video on both and they died within minutes of each other (which surprised me, given how much older my wife's device was). They both out lasted my SP3, though (I broke the screen, so it doesn't respond to tough, but I have the type cover, so it still functions) by over 2 hours.

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site

with all the new devices they will be coming out this year answer is no. Just with the surface mobile 3 devices.
1 tablet phone
2 surface note
3. Surface watch

And we are not even talking about about the other devices like the studio surface Studio 2 the surface Hub 2 and possibly a surface TV .

vitaminjuk

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
I'd hope for a modest update with 8th gen and USB-C (wonder if they'll keep Surface Connect for backwards compat, or have a reverse-dongle for old docks to connect to new devices?), lifting the minimum RAM up to 8gb, and my leftfield idea, making the case colour an option so people can have e.g. all-cobalt machines, the Laptop looks so much better for it, and it's a shame the Pro makes you have silver when all the accessories come in all the colours.

I hope they can do it with quicker cadence than the usual 18 months, there must be a lot of tech enthusiasts who turned down the 2017 for the lack of USB-C, I think it was a fairly big mis-step for that refresh.
They had what looked like a bit of a firesale on i5 2017 models just now and I was sorely tempted though, but I only get a new laptop every 5 years or so and I don't want to get the last model not to embrace USB-C, so I'm waiting again...

Henrik Becker

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
I switched from Surface Pro 4 to Surface Book 2 a couple of months ago. My main gripe with the SP4 was *battery life*. I'm sure the SP 2017 is better than the SP4, but I wanted as much as possible... I actually liked the size of the SP4 better than that of the SB2, and the keyboard of the SP4 was ok (although that of the SB2 is better).

What would I wish to go for a Surface Pro next time?
* Same width/length as the SP4.
* Thinner bezel = larger screen -- say 13" instead of 12.3".
* Slightly thicker and heavier is ok -- give me similar battery life as that of the SB2.
* For my use, I don't need a fancy graphics processor, but of course, I don't mind an improvement from that of SP4.
* Fast internal SSD (like on the 1TB SB2, or faster).
* Probably Thunderbolt.
* I'd prefer SD card reader (for camera cards).
* LTE or 5G would be nice -- provided that it is possible to get unlimited data plans which don't cost an arm and a leg.
--
I'm a little puzzled by the performance of the SB2. I have run a MATLAB benchmark test on the SB2, and it is barely faster than the Surface Pro 3. Maybe because it ran on battery (throttling), maybe because the clock frequency is slower, maybe because the benchmark didn't utilize multiple cores (did it? don't know...).

Since I can't find a SP without lightbleed here in the Netherlands, I'm considering opting for the SB2 as well, instead. Which model did you get? It feels kind of weird to get an i5/8GB/256SSD on what's potentially a beast of a machine.

If MS announces a new SP I'd be all over that, though.

JellyBeanGurl

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
Hi, new to Windows products. How often does the surface refresh? Every year?
I'm still using a Macbook pro from 2012. Looks the same as every MBP out there except for the touch bar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos