Do your want Nadella to be removed from Microsoft?

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
1. Betting so hard on cloud business can be a mistake. Amidst privacy concerns, I don't se cloud computing in it's present form surviving for long.
2. AI in it's current form is nothing but a toy. No one even understands what it is. Yet Mirror uber Nadella is betting so hard on AI. There is nothing wrong except it ain't help nobody.
3. Foldable tablets will not revive Microsoft. It looks kind of a lame concept.
4. Forcing people to leave everyone a change of plans occurs is not a sign of a healthy and democratic organisation. If Anything, it showcases Nadella's dictatorial talents.

I think he should leave.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to say this charitably, but I think your entire list is another way of saying:

1. I loved Windows Phone but it was killed. I'm not happy with Microsoft right now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, I do not feel he should leave. He is doing an excellent job in revamping Microsoft so that it is competitive in today's market, especially given the competition with AWS.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
He's making tons of money for shareholders.... Why should he leave? /s

... !

This.

It doesn't matter about what happened with Windows Phone/Mobile/Mobile 10. Nadella has managed to successfully steer MS in the right direction which is the companies bottom line. The shareholders are happy, profit is soaring and MS may soon be the first company valued at 1 trillion dollars so they won't want to change that.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
The MS engineers I work with are very happy with Nadella. This is a different world than in 2001 with the horrid Wintendo XP. Back then Amazon was a book seller. Nadella steered the company back on track and is doing well. As for cloud - the way things are now, you can't escape it. Yes, there are privacy concerns - both Nadella and Bezos are taking these seriously.

I love that I can take a 25m record data set, upload it to AWS or Azure, run a ton of processes on it using their servers - not mine - and then spin down when I'm done. Massive mainframe power of in my data center interrupting LoB applications or processes.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've said this before many times but it seems it bears repeating. Microsoft is a SOFTWARE and services company. They ventured into hardware and only the Surface line survived. They're not rebooting, they're just going back to their roots which is, and always has been, their bread and butter. Profit? They could probably break even on Android licensing fees alone.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

PushMe96

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
1. Lol the Cloud isn't going anywhere. This is the future of computing, and as the form changes, mutates, evolves, the best positioned companies such as Amazon and Microsoft will have the advantage in being able to lead that transformation.

2. AI is definitely not a toy. I am an AI practitioner, meaning that I tend to recognise the applications of AI whenever I see them, and I can confidently tell you that it's already everywhere. AI is becoming mainstream, and to call it a toy does not pay you any compliments. Your not seeing sentient assistants or robots everywhere doesn't mean AI is a toy. The applications of AI in search, computer vision, robotics, medicine, among other fields are well and alive today, making a big impact on the world. Perhaps you should look a little well at the field before calling AI a "toy"

3. Microsoft is not dead. As I type this, it is the third most valuable publicly traded company in the world, so it's disingenious to insinuate that Microsoft needs reviving. The foldable device is intended to launch a new device category, just as the surface devices did, not to single-handedly propel Microsoft to world domination.

4. Lol. The Microsoft that Satya took over was one with a toxic culture, which stifled innovation and was haemorraging talent, which is why the Ballmer years were so bad. Terry Myerson was never particularly beloved at Microsoft, and barely had many successes, being a vestige of the old Microsoft, the toxic Microsoft. I've noticed that some people are reading some babble from some guy who works at Google (as if he'd say good things about Microsoft's future), and believing that "Windows is dead". Windows is not dead, but is rather evolving. The rollout of Windows Core OS and compatibility with the ARM architecture is part of the evolution of Windows, which is a long process, not something that occurs at the snap of a finger.
Satya Nadella has a vision for Microsoft, which has been rolled out over the course of the past few years. This reorganization is to position Microsoft for the future, hence the consolidation into the new Experiences and Devices group. Windows is evolving into an experience, one that spans multiple devices across multiple form factors. That is not death, but the natural evolution of Windows, and Terry Myerson's departure is just a part of that (and I can say that Microsoft employees are not sad to see him go).

I get that the Windows Phone debacle broke a lot of trust in Microsoft, but it shouldn't warrant the parroting of ridiculous, unfounded narratives. Call me a ******, but Satya Nadella is one of the best things to happen to Microsoft this decade, and the future is definitely bright, whether you see it or not. Nadella's vision is coming to life, and it's promising for Microsoft.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Well stated @PushMe96 - I've written a lot of things about how bad Microsoft was in the '90s and early 2000s. It took awhile for them to move beyond the desktop. (I still remember the terrible Win95 losing bad on a like-pc comparison against OS/2 Warp. Yet OS/2 was so hamstrung by its ties to the OS/360 and AS/400 world that it never was to succeed.)

Nay the world moves on towards Linux or Android or Chrome but Nadella has positioned Microsoft to at least compete with Office360, Power BI, SQL Server, and Skype for Business - all of which can run on any OS.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
AI is definitely the future. Unfortunately AI in it's present form is not exactly AI. The solution for AI can come from anywhere, classroom, research group, companies. But that will take time and may not come necessarily from within Microsoft. Someone else might do it, patent it and distribute it and all Nadella can do is to watch the show.

Hence, the logical move should be to keep a tight hold on current businesses and then dedicate a part of resources towards developing these new technologies like AI.

I think Microsoft underwent a similar transformation in 1996 when they restructured their entire business around internet. But internet in 1996 was way more mature than AI in 2018. It's too early to restructure organisation based on AI.

As far as cloud goes, SAAS, PAAS & IAAS are now becoming obsolete. I have a fair idea of what the next big thing in cloud computing could be but I will not share it here. But my point is Microsoft is not innovating in this field as well. There is scope for more.

The role of CEO is not to try each and every new technology that hits the market and then leave it if it doesn't works out. The role of CEO is to choose one technology that he/she believes can be the next big thing and go full on at it. That's what Apple is doing. Do not think that Apple is sleeping. Do not make that mistake. They have still some fire left to hit the tech world like a storm.

Microsoft under Nadella is all over the place. That's why I think he should go.

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Where do you think Microsoft should be focusing their attention? If not on AI and cloud infrastructure, where?

You say keep a tight told on current businesses...which is Cloud and Windows? Desktop computing is falling away as a whole for many people. I don't see Windows going away, but it's rapidly shrinking into a product mostly for enterprise.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Where do you think Microsoft should be focusing their attention? If not on AI and cloud infrastructure, where?

You say keep a tight told on current businesses...which is Cloud and Windows? Desktop computing is falling away as a whole for many people. I don't see Windows going away, but it's rapidly shrinking into a product mostly for enterprise.

OS...that is where Microsoft should focus on.

Integrate AI deep within OS. AI is not just deep learning. It's much more than that. It's us. We need to understand it first. We need to understand ourselves first.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
OS...that is where Microsoft should focus on.

Integrate AI deep within OS. AI is not just deep learning. It's much more than that. It's us. We need to understand it first. We need to understand ourselves first.

Microsoft's OS market is shrinking fast. People are using Windows less and less as "personal computing" is getting dominated by smartphones and tablets. Even if Microsoft did something revolutionary by integrating AI into Windows, it wouldn't be enough...people don't want to use desktop PCs, and increasingly aren't even interested in typical laptops.

You begin by saying that Microsoft's board should remove Mr. Nadella as CEO, but you don't explain how his direction is a bad business decision for Microsoft, or how someone else's leadership would do any better.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You begin by saying that Microsoft's board should remove Mr. Nadella as CEO, but you don't explain how his direction is a bad business decision for Microsoft, or how someone else's leadership would do any better.

This forum was focused on Windows Phone, which has been deprecated. Windows Phone is what we care(d) about. Therefore, dropping it is generally seen as a bad business decision.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This forum was focused on Windows Phone, which has been deprecated. Windows Phone is what we care(d) about. Therefore, dropping it is generally seen as a bad business decision.

They see it as a bad business decision because it ain't their money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney