Anyone want to comment?

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I was just wondering if any of the "Nadella is the worst CEO ever" crowd would like to comment on the news today that Microsoft has passed Alphabet in market cap.

Anyone.....??????

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering if any of the "Nadella is the worst CEO ever" crowd would like to comment on the news today that Microsoft has passed Alphabet in market cap.

Anyone.....??????

Well good for them, but the growth has been singularly based on Cloud, can they keep up this without any consumer/mobile play/killing of promising product lines,, is the question.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Aaaaaand Microsoft is #4 again. Google is ahead by $6 billion. (at the moment anyway...)

I had mentioned in another thread that Microsoft and Google have switched multiple times in the last few months. I’m not sure why the media jumped all over this one.
I'm inclined to agree on why the media is reporting this now. What made this time so special?

It's not surprising that there is flipping of places often. It depends on who is announcing what and if the market reacts to it or not.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
The "Nadella is the worst CEO ever" think he is the worst CEO because they believe he doesn't care about the consumers at all. True, MS shares are doing really really well, and they are doing good with cloud business, however, cloud was doing good under Ballmer too so you don't really have to be a genius to make something that already works work. There's no Windows Phone or any other kind of Windows SKU for phones being developed, Band 3 hasn't seen the light of the day, Kinect is still dead and we could go on and on with consumer-based devices and/or software that are no longer around. MS employees say they feel better now that they're not under Ballmer, although I still find it ridiculous that they are pushing 2 updates per year with nearly no serious new features or half-baked implementations (fluent design was not added to all shell components at once).

Just trying to make you understand how Nadella "haters" may think.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
IDK it kind of makes sense. Google search isn't really growing, there's been some growth in other search engines. But nothing else google does is really monetized. I think not only have they reached saturation with google search, but I think there's been some real growth in other players, noteably bing over the last decade or so (and some smaller ones like duckduckgo).

And of course the smartphone market is also slowing down. Should apple ever release as I suspect they will, their own search engine, that would amount to automatic profit losses to google.

MSFT has had some growth in a number of areas. It's gaming software continues to do well, xbox has had some growth, office has had some growth and of course server and cloud services are going very well and it's device segment continues to do well. There's been a downtick in profits from windows OS, as clearly there are some win7 holdouts, but overall everything is looking ship-shape and there's room for new profit avenues to come in (HoloLens and other projects).

Basically, MSFT seems more likely to continue to increase its profits, google looks a bit stagnant, possibly even vulnerable. And stocks are all about speculation.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The "Nadella is the worst CEO ever" think he is the worst CEO because they believe he doesn't care about the consumers at all. True, MS shares are doing really really well, and they are doing good with cloud business, however, cloud was doing good under Ballmer too so you don't really have to be a genius to make something that already works work. There's no Windows Phone or any other kind of Windows SKU for phones being developed, Band 3 hasn't seen the light of the day, Kinect is still dead and we could go on and on with consumer-based devices and/or software that are no longer around. MS employees say they feel better now that they're not under Ballmer, although I still find it ridiculous that they are pushing 2 updates per year with nearly no serious new features or half-baked implementations (fluent design was not added to all shell components at once).

I'm actually quite fond of small incremental changes. I think consumers are slow to adapt. They often protest when too much changes at once.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm actually quite fond of small incremental changes. I think consumers are slow to adapt. They often protest when too much changes at once.
I can say I do not exactly have the best opinion on Nadella, but I did not complain when I got my old PC with Windows 8.1 and everything was different. I was a bit lost because I could install apps from the store as well as from normal .exe files and didn't know exactly what was going on, but I welcomed the redesign of the os. It is true, however, that there are quite a few people that will not adapt to the change but I am adapting to underwhelming updates by not playing the "loyal customer" game anymore.

DontBeEvil10

May 31, 2017
Visit site

of course... he deserve to get fired ASAP

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Cloud is the trend of computing industry whether Satya is in charge or not. Office365 and Xbox are doing well whether Satya is in charge or not. He certainly is not the worst CEO, but the MS Cloud business success has overshadowed his disastrous failure in the consumer space. He has killed the 'Mobile First' strategy as he has advocated. MS is led by Wall Street now.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Nadella gets more credit than he deserves as he has killed off every consumer facing product except Xbox, the problem with this is that those people in Enterprise are also consumers so what do you think cancelling consumer facing product lines says to them, doesn't really bolster confidence that they will keep Enterprise products around for very long.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I've been quite clear often enough. I don't like the man. He angers me. I totally get that he's been a benefit to the stockholders. But, as a consumer, I don't really care. I don't own stock. I buy their products and services. Which are becoming fewer and less inviting. BECAUSE of Nadella. As a consumer, my perception of him is that he strives to do things that give us the finger. Over and over. He has killed, altered or otherwise deprecated a LOT of things I fell in love with. Zune/Groove, Windows phones, Windows 8 (Metro, integration, Hubs), Cortana, Xbox, Kinect. I could go on. What has remained has consistently been much LESS capable than what I grew to love and depend on. So, yes, I despise the man. And every employee to who believes in his vision.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Nadella should be fired for lack of vision. He has simply followed the wall street "corporate raider" technique of short term thinking and actions to successfully raise stock prices. The corporate raiders layoff as many people as possible, cut investments in future looking but not immediately profitable projects. They ignore and waste the intellectual wealth and acumen that is embedded in the projects they kill.

In my opinion, my guess, computers will continue to
"do more" and "get smaller" (mobile),
- will increase in connectivity between more and more people (hopefully)
- will continue to expand usage (data and phones),
and yes, increase in connectivity to the cloud.
I think all will be key. I believe this is the prime example of Nadella only looking at part of the whole. I think we need to make use of the wasted intellectual property and to "invest" in steps leading to the future.

We need new leadership with future thinking, not a corporate raider. We don't need a phony smile and a "glad hander" who is full of himself.

I think there are Microsoft supporters who will continue to support what they like and would stand up to be counted (by continuing to use the Mobile products) if only Microsoft had a Mobile future vision.

Just my thoughts.
Best Wishes

Last edited:

davebwi

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Nadella Quit everything difficult..Microsoft losing consumers, Will lose Business too.

Last edited:

anon(10458357)

May 11, 2018
Visit site
I think the ONLY reason Wall Street loves Nadella so much is because everyone HATED Windows 8 so much. And because of Windows 8 they hated Ballmer. But that is the only reason they hated Ballmer. In every other way he was a superior leader... Surface anyone?

Heck, I love everything Windows and even I HATED Windows 8! But I think Windows 10 would have happened WITH OR WITHOUT Nadella. It had to happen. That was a hideous OS on PC! Great on the phone... but hideous on the PC!

So as a competent leader... NO. NOT BEING BALLMER does not make you a good leader.

A good leader would have stuck with at least the Lumia 950 while he worked tirelessly on the new Andromeda replacement device. Killing consumer is unforgiveable.

I know he thinks he's God's personal gift to mankind. He speaks like he's some kind of visionary, poet laureate. Ushering in a brave new world. But he's really just a cheap imitation of an intellectual.

But give us a Surface Phone, Nadella. Return some life to MS in Consumer. And all will be forgiven. As long as it's not 2020 by the time you finally ******** get around to it!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise