Andromeda / Surface Phone will come with Android OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
To be frank, Android smartphone population is around 84% whereas Apple may be approx. 14% on tops. Apple is a luxury item but android smartphone is a essential one in this modern world.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If it runs full windows 10, then it can have Chrome installed. That means it will have access to Android apps. No need to build an Android/windows device. That could hold people over until PWA's finally land.

I think someone will just port bluestacks onto ARM, or similar, and people will be able to run android apps under emulation like they can on the desktop. But yeah I don't think google wants to go on with android, otherwise it wouldn't be pushing PWA.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I think someone will just port bluestacks onto ARM, or similar, and people will be able to run android apps under emulation like they can on the desktop. But yeah I don't think google wants to go on with android, otherwise it wouldn't be pushing PWA.

Google are trying to consolidate things. At the start when they came in late, and didn't have market share, that's where all this open source hype and things to get the neckbeards/early adopters on board played a role. Not the case now, and that's probably where the work on moving to Chrome OS is coming from.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Google are trying to consolidate things. At the start when they came in late, and didn't have market share, that's where all this open source hype and things to get the neckbeards/early adopters on board played a role. Not the case now, and that's probably where the work on moving to Chrome OS is coming from.

ChromeOS genuinely presents itself as a potential hybrid OS. With android app and Linux app capability, touch screen and all the rest, I think it can play alongside windows in that.

But you are right, they wouldn't have had a shot at that without establishing themselves with android. They definately seem to be moving into a long game mode now.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I think the long-awaited Surface Phone is closer than ever. For a long time, the Surface Phone has generated more rumors than any other device without having lost the expectation. And lately those rumors have increased, including a hint by Panos Panay.

But, what will ensure the success of it?

Who will want to buy a Surface mobile device (that won't be cheap) without access to the modern apps? Who will buy it to replace a desktop pc? Who will buy it to carry two mobile devices (Andromeda Windows 10 and an Android or iPhone? I think no one would buy it, even long time MS supporters like me and many others. You may think that Microsoft will rely on PWA to close the gap between the Microsoft Store and Google and Apple apps stores. But that's not going to happen, at least in the near future, even with the big support from Google. In my opinion, even the Surface and Surface Pro lines will not survive if Microsoft don't do something quick.

And I would think that Microsoft knows that and they will not invest hundreds of millions on a product line that is destined to be DOA. So, I think that Microsoft is working on a surprise for everyone.

In recent months, I have noticed a closer integration with its services and Windows 10 with Android apps, the development of new applications, even for non-MS services, and the Android support on Windows 10 (I can't wait to try "Your Phone" currently under development and still non functional in Windows 10 build 17677). All these make me think that Microsoft is developing (or should develop) the Andromeda device with Android OS and will be heavily loaded with their apps and services, which makes a lot of sense to me, and that would ensure that the device is widely accepted and would guarantee its success. Even their OEM partners would follow them with new devices, because it will be a mature and productive system as well as entertainment.

I have been a strong supporter, follower and defender of Windows Mobile/Phone for long time (since my 2007
AT&T Tilt until my Lumia 950) and just a few months ago I jumped out of the sinking ship to buy a Samsung S8+ and now I realize all I was missing before and all that I am missing now, and that makes me desire a combination of both worlds.

I have my Samsung phone loaded with MS apps. I just installed Next on my Samsung (and I love it) and makes me feel closer to the Windows Mobile experience in regards to the notifications (Android notifications sucks). I was able to restore my WhatsApp backup from WM to Android (thanks to Nicola's WinWazzapMigrator), and also I transferred all my SMS to Android. I am still missing on Android the Anand Prakash's Converge app.

I am missing a lot my Lumia 950 and I can say that Windows Mobile is a lot superior to Android but it lacks the apps we want and need now. It is a shame that Microsoft did not listen to Ballmer when he proposed to allow Android apps to run natively on Windows Mobile 10, but now is maybe too late for that formula.

I will consider to buy an Andromeda device with Android OS and heavily loaded with all MS apps and with a like-WM experience.

My Andromeda flavor:
- Launcher10 as a launcher
- Outlook instead of the Android Contacts, Calendar and Mail.
- Next instead of Android Notifications.
- Edge instead of Chrome.
- I would be using Google Assistant until MS improves Cortana.
- Bing instead of Google Search and Google Maps.
- Google Play store.

Which other apps or modifications would you love on an Andromeda with Android? What do you think about it?

I will see a long life to Andromeda if MS uses android. What do you think? Does it makes sense to you?

I don’t think andromeda is the surface phone we’re all waiting for, but rather more of a surface mini.

I think that a real surface phone depends heavily on how well Andromeda does.

The App Store situation really needs to be addressed for truely mobile windows devices to succeed. Otherwise it will just be a smaller and smaller windows PC with a lacklustre touch experience

TheRealBatman

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I am sure someone said this. Buy the Axom M and install those apps. At this point I might do that waiting for Andromeda. Maybe if I can not get a new 950xl cheap. I mean what new feature is it missing other than mobile games I dont play.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
android is not the issue, app support is, I bet we will get more and more high profile developers undermining google's store, like epic's fortnite, they will grow tired of google's(or anyone's) power and eventually it will be a wild west of software again, at that point microsoft will have a chance

besides that, hololens done right will inevitably displace any other form of computing client for the vast majority of people, AR-VR is the end all of computing form factors, screens of any size, shape or form will be irrelevant, accessories like kb-mouse will remain though

klk?

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I am not being deliberatly awkward here when I ask: For the target market of a device like this what apps are missing? Banking and services apps are the only real issue here, SnapChat is not the issue, nor are the 1000's of soundboards and low end productivity suites. I am not sure as to why you believe people would need to carry a second device with the Andromeda.

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Android tablets are terrible unproductive devices. The andromeda, if Microsoft can nail the OS, offers a great way to bridge the gap between the phone and tablet, I currently carry an SP2017 and a Galaxy everyday, I see this device as an opportunity to leave both at home most days.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. It will undoubtedly have challenges. Just dreaming up my kind of android device. A lot of things start with dreams and ideas, despite the limitations in reality, today. Would be nice of andriod if they would be willing to spice up the UI to integrate windows mobile functionality in future builds. I'll keep dreaming.

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. It will undoubtedly have challenges. Just dreaming up my kind of android device. A lot of things start with dreams and ideas, despite the limitations in reality, today. Would be nice of andriod if they would be willing to spice up the UI to integrate windows mobile functionality in future builds. I'll keep dreaming.

I stopped dreaming long time ago!
I just use my Lumia 1020 and wife Lumia 640! We are happy for now!

No needed Ferrari when MAX speed is 25MPH

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately MS has no desire to make their own phones any longer. If they did, they wouldn't spend all their time making their apps run on iOS or Android. So chances are, the Surface phone, or Andromeda won't happen anytime soon, sadly.

Nathan Sokalski

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
All I can say is that when it is released, I will be one of the first to get it! I think that if Microsoft would simply admit that they will be making it and create an SDK for developers, many of them would be willing to put out Windows versions of their apps, since many of them write their apps with the same code now that Visual Studio can be used to write apps for Android, ios, and Windows. And, just for anybody who hasn't heard about it, see the following Change.org page to help keep Andromeda going:
https://www.change.org/p/all-the-pe...the-demand-for-the-surface-phone-or-andromeda

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
To the original topic, Please!!! Please!!! NO Android. I'm using a 950XL cuz I hate android and Google even more. My life is mostly Google free other than an occasional YouTube video.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It won't be running Android. It'll run Windows, but perhaps a customised version, specifically for the hardware (because it folds). Who knows? Nobody. We are all just guessing, until MS officially says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo