Andromeda ideas... Not a question, rather a suggestion..

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes
No.

I want a device that can replace my personal phone. I already carry two phones with me (work, personal) and I would/could not carry a third device just for the novelty of 2 screens. It must replace one of the two I already have.

Super duper camera is not a must, but a decent camera is. It should be at least as good as my Lumia 950.

Eric Hamilton

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
1. Yes.
2. No. Although I just read today that phone calls won't be something that this device will even be able to do. It will have LTE connectivity, but that will be for web and email connectivity, and not for phone calls. From the article I read today: "As for the phone capabilities, there are contradictory reports in this regard, but there’s a big chance it won’t be a phone. Not in the conventional way, that’s for sure, so you won’t be able to walk around with this device next to your ear and talk to your friends. LTE will be offered, but only for Internet access on the go." So, we will see. This was from the web site Softpedia news.

Trix256

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
1. Hell yeah - Why carry around more than one device. I know I only carry around my phone
2. Hell yeah - If you want this to be competitive then it must have a good camera. Again I only carry around my phone, and we take more photos nowadays than we ever have before. The camera is one of the best features of the Lumia series and that's why I've still got mine. If you don't think a camera is important to people then take a look at any social platform/app and think again.

Last edited:

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
1. Yes, no excuses not to have one. It has to have one. Able to use a pocketable device has to have cellular functions that able to make calls and send SMS. Andromeda is still technically a smartphone. A smartphone nowadays is not just a mobile phone with computer functions anymore, it is other way around. Its is the modern equivalent of pocket PCs.

2. Yes, why not and because it is a flagship product that is expensive, really expensive. Having a device that can do-it-all which includes able to take great photos is something expected nowadays. Maybe it won't be a same quality as Lumia 950/XL PureView devices, but still needs to be more than average if possible. The problem here is physics since we expect Andromeda device to be really slim, and would be challenging to fit a bigger camera module with a good sensor on it. Number 2 can be not the greatest camera is acceptable, but it still has to be good to be still more than usable.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
1. Yes, still need to make calls every now and then.
2. No. Would be nice if it did, but if it's as good as the L950 and a lot faster, then I'll be happy. Dedicated camera button would be really nice too, but can't see it working on it.

MS can say that the andromeda device isn't a smartphone until they're blue in the face, but it's trying to replace one, it needs to do most smartphone functions as well. Telephony is still quite common, and just works too conveniently to be replaced by most other things. Camera is an intrinsic component of mobile devices. Things like instagram have made amateur photography so much more pleasurable, and broadly speaking, a lot of people like taking nice photos. Apple and google don't skimp on their cameras, neither should MS.

vrans99

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
1) Absolutely! Won't carry two portable devices.
2) Yes. I believe it should come with an impressive camera with three lenses for AR and 3D.
3) Android APPS. Won't carry two portable devices.

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Definitely needs telephony, and 200% needs a good camera, at least 950xl quality. Even if you take one photo a year, let it be good, and then there is MS Lens etc. Can't wait!!!!!

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
1. Telephony is a must. If you can't make calls and text, then I won't carry it around. I'll just carry a smartphone. And if I'm not going to carry it around, then I don't see the point in buying it.

2. I would like a camera at least as good as the Lumia 950. I'm confused though about where the lens and camera display goes. Will Andromeda have to be unfolded to take pictures? Because I can't figure how you can fold it and expose the camera lens and camera display at the same time. Maybe the lens is small and fits in the bevel and can be on the same side as the display; like a front facing camera. Then I guess you could take pictures folded. Unless Andromeda has three displays? Ok. I don't know what I'm talking about.

3. I wanted to add that Andromeda needs GPS, Bluetooth, and headphone jack. Of course since I'm saying it needs to have telephony, then it needs microphone and speaker (which should be a given). I would like it to support at least 512 GB SD card. There should be peripheral support right out the gate with version 1.0. That is, there should be a desktop docking device that will support connectivity to two monitors, mouse, and keyboard. I would be really happy if a lapdock device is available. Win32 support for x64 is also very important. But if Andromeda has Win32 support, I only want all the overhead of Win32 to be running in the background when I allow it to. For example, if running on battery, I would like to have the option to suspend Win32 scheduled tasks.

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
1. Yes. It has to be the real smart phone to kill the smartphones of today.

2. Yes. It has to be able to replace the device in your pocket and do a lot more.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
1. Telephony is a must. If you can't make calls and text, then I won't carry it around. I'll just carry a smartphone. And if I'm not going to carry it around, then I don't see the point in buying it.

2. I would like a camera at least as good as the Lumia 950. I'm confused though about where the lens and camera display goes. Will Andromeda have to be unfolded to take pictures? Because I can't figure how you can fold it and expose the camera lens and camera display at the same time. Maybe the lens is small and fits in the bevel and can be on the same side as the display; like a front facing camera. Then I guess you could take pictures folded. Unless Andromeda has three displays? Ok. I don't know what I'm talking about.

3. I wanted to add that Andromeda needs GPS, Bluetooth, and headphone jack. Of course since I'm saying it needs to have telephony, then it needs microphone and speaker (which should be a given). I would like it to support at least 512 GB SD card. There should be peripheral support right out the gate with version 1.0. That is, there should be a desktop docking device that will support connectivity to two monitors, mouse, and keyboard. I would be really happy if a lapdock device is available. Win32 support for x64 is also very important. But if Andromeda has Win32 support, I only want all the overhead of Win32 to be running in the background when I allow it to. For example, if running on battery, I would like to have the option to suspend Win32 scheduled tasks.

There's an interesting set of questions - does snapdragon support m.2 ssd?

Also for dual screen display, does the usb standard on snapdragon have enough bandwidth? Single screen I'm sure it could handle..but dual screen?

Because ARM is very new to actual computers, I wonder what snapdragons limits are in these terms?

Because I'm sure you could just use a generic usb-c laptop dock, and at the price point it would absolutely make sense to include the option for SSD (depending on how thin they try and make it/space design). I guess EMMC 5.1 is pretty fast though these days, so it would not be the end of the world if they just used EMMC, but the docking question is at least kind of an interesting one - if one hada device like this, given it can be a phone, a tablet (and with a portable keyboard and a stand a sort of laptop kinda) it would be very tempting to use it as an on the go PC and if you did you could have

-external SSD hard drive
-two monitors
-network connection

all running off the USB bus, and I'm not sure if snapdragon has that kind of bandwidth....

Does anyone know what the maximum theoretical bandwidth of the latest snapdragon's USB runs at?

Urbautz

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
1. YES
We are not far enough to do everything via Skype / Teams / Slack / WA

2. A bit
It needs a camera with enough quality to take photos of whiteboards for office lens. So it doesn't need to be top notch, level of current Mid-Ranged Androids is enough for my needs.
Still, Lumia 820 camera level would be great, which is still only equaled by iPhone X and beaten by new Huawai P20.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
rodneyej, great pair of questions. I think I agree with what most are saying here, but I have my own twist on these:

1. Yes - must be able to make and receive calls. However, via a bluetooth headset or as a speakerphone would be fine for me -- I don't need to be able to hold this thing to my head. Otherwise, I'll finally break down and buy an Android flagship, and I won't buy both Andromeda and an Android phone.

2. The camera would need to be about as good as what I'm currently used to in my smartphone -- now a Lumia Icon. That is, I don't want to feel like I'm DOWNGRADING my camera, but as long as it's not worse than what I'm using, I'd be OK with it. I avoided the HP Elite X3 almost exclusively because the camera was rated as significantly worse than what I have now. I don't need slow-motion or advanced lens functions, but I want to be able to take sharp pictures in day and low-light settings with good color reproduction.

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
1. Limited. VoLTE only is OK. My carrier is rolling out VoLTE this year. No need for legacy radio types / bands that do nothing but cause another drain on the battery.

2. Meh. Don't care. I assume if it's not as good as the Huawei cameras, their virtual PC solution may have more appeal to some.

GeorgeOnArm

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Andromeda running on Snap850 comes with hardware accelerated AI for camera image/video processing. If 950xl well known for great image quality, image a 950XL camera with 850 AI accelerated image processing options and results.

Definitely, we need at least 950 XL camera with Snap850 to deliver better image quality beyond what the current users of 950XL have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos