Andromeda Cancelled?!? Nooooo!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I was going to start this thread myself. This is what I told Mary Jo Foley

Microsoft's going to miss the boat yet again. They're in a position where they could be pioneers by taking advantage of all the Web technologies (with PWAs) while all the other platforms are caught in their non future proof app model. Won't be the first time MS sabotages itself...

To which she replied "timing is hard. it's bad to be late. it's also bad to be too early with something that isn't ready"

And I agree, I think they should wait so they don't go the Windows 8 way but not give up altogether. Given they don't have an OS out at the moment they have the advantage to put all their manpower on building Andromeda and several key PWA's before releasing it ready to be used.

Microsoft's in a great position right now... why are they, again, sinking their own ship!?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I was going to start this thread myself. This is what I told Mary Jo Foley

Microsoft's going to miss the boat yet again. They're in a position where they could be pioneers by taking advantage of all the Web technologies (with PWAs) while all the other platforms are caught in their non future proof app model. Won't be the first time MS sabotages itself...

To which she replied "timing is hard. it's bad to be late. it's also bad to be too early with something that isn't ready"

And I agree, I think they should wait so they don't go the Windows 8 way but not give up altogether. Given they don't have an OS out at the moment they have the advantage to put all their manpower on building Andromeda and several key PWA's before releasing it ready to be used.

Microsoft's in a great position right now... why are they, again, sinking their own ship!?

All good points, but still sucks. Everyone is pushing duel screens hard. MS are going to end up missing this boat too.

Man, wtf...even Panos has been posting hints about this thing arriving.

Frankly, I hope Mary Jo is way wrong

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
https://www.phonearena.com/news/surface-phone-on-hold-for-the-rest-of-the-year_id106258

Another article. Dammit, this was a huge buzzkill. Was looking forward to this device and now... What a waste. I mean, sure, it probably is too early in some ways to make the device viable but what now? Microsoft needs in on the mobile game again in some way asap IMO. This is a huge blow to consumer fans.

I'm starting to wonder if bundling *everything* under the Windows 10 OS is starting to harm Microsoft more than it helps them. By keeping OSes separate companies like Google and Apple are able to dedicate separate teams and resources to Chrome/Android or MacOS/iOS. This allows both OSes to share some features and communicate while remaining adaptable and nimble as time moves on.

I mean, yes, there are benefits to Microsoft's unified OS ideology for sure, but I'm starting to wonder if those benefits don't outweigh the costs in the long term with delaying/cancellation of products or services because they all have to exist as a chunk of windows 10 in some way.

Last edited:

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
https://www.phonearena.com/news/surface-phone-on-hold-for-the-rest-of-the-year_id106258

Another article. Dammit, this was a huge buzzkill. Was looking forward to this device and now... What a waste. I mean, sure, it probably is too early in some ways to make the device viable but what now? Microsoft needs in on the mobile game again in some way asap IMO. This is a huge blow to consumer fans.

I'm gutted TBH. This was the only windows device I was looking forward to.

I mean, all of the patents, the cryptic hints, the announcement of the Snapdragon 850 chip with specific duel screen support, the displays that LG would be supplying, the internal emails that talked about this device being actively developed. It was here dammit. It was as good as done.

Here's what I'm hoping...

That MS have "leaked" this story to kill the hype so that when it's announced onstage in October, it comes as a total shock and blows eveyone away.

I'm clinging to the idea that this is a marketing ploy.

We live in hope...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
"Additionally, the guys in Redmond do not see any demand for a device like the one that has been the subject of a number of patents"

I guess their plan of creating a new category of mobile computing is not panning out. This news is a bummer for sure, but it's a smart move for them at the moment. Hopefully, they figure out a lucrative consumer plan soon.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I mean if the market isn't there then it makes sense. But like Jcmg62 I'm pretty gutted about it. I've currently got an iPhone, iPad and an eight year old Windows 10 gaming PC. My dream setup long term would have been something like Andromeda and and a Windows 10 gaming laptop, ditching the rest and finally settling on one manufacturers hardware. That dream's basically dead now since I'll be choosing new hardware later in the year. Even is Andromeda comes out a year from now or later... yay, too late.

Real shame no matter what. Especially since, so far as we know, there is *nothing* in the pipeline to replace it. At best you can use a Windows launcher on Android.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
seems to be the same old story with MS. Samsung will release theirs next year and by that time MS would have missed the boat again. Most people if they want a device like this will go with an android based device, especially if Samsungs hits the market first, There is no second place when it comes to this.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if bundling *everything* under the Windows 10 OS is starting to harm Microsoft more than it helps them. By keeping OSes separate companies like Google and Apple are able to dedicate separate teams and resources to Chrome/Android or MacOS/iOS. This allows both OSes to share some features and communicate while remaining adaptable and nimble as time moves on.

I don't know about the logistics, but I always did have reservations about one OS for everything. To me, it would be like a truck driver trying to use some kind of hybrid vehicle for both hauling freight and as a personal vehicle. Technically possible? Yes. Practical? Probably not. It wouldn't do either job well.

We do see a bit of the advantage of one core OS with how W10M continues to get security updates, no doubt piggybacking somewhat from desktop. However, it is also being left behind in development, which indicates that it is not as simple as one OS.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
hopefully, they are going to wait to fully bake and maybe the Snapdragon 1000 chip...that would be well worth the wait for me (and a great camera)

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
We do see a bit of the advantage of one core OS with how W10M continues to get security updates, no doubt piggybacking somewhat from desktop. However, it is also being left behind in development, which indicates that it is not as simple as one OS.

Security is a nice one for sure. As are blanket updates for the basic things or apps like Edge etc. There are advantages. The problem is adding anything to the ecosystem that it doesn't already have. Every other product has to be adapted and updated to accept the new device in some way which is a huge hurdle to ever creating new platforms.

Hopefully this isn't a shot in the foot we see become more and more common for hardware.

hopefully, they are going to wait to fully bake and maybe the Snapdragon 1000 chip...that would be well worth the wait for me (and a great camera)

Ha, you have to wonder what's going to become of the 1000 series chip now

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't say I'm surprised mostly because LG is having production issues. Microsoft doesn't build anything and Life's Great was supposed to be their supplier for the LCDs. The SD850 chip currently being used on the new WoA laptops is not performing as well as had been expected.

Put all these things together and you have the makings of a colossal failure at launch. I'm very intrigued by this rig if it ever comes to light but my W10 Mobile devices have support for at least another year. I can wait. Besides, Samsung isn't releasing their "foldable" device at least until 2nd half of 2019 and nobody else is seriously in the mix. Chillax.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Expected as like it would have been.

Users need reliable hardware with excellent tightly integrated software into a device. Not some fancy folding thingy which is unproven.

I say build a proper slab phone first.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Expected as like it would have been.

Users need reliable hardware with excellent tightly integrated software into a device. Not some fancy folding thingy which is unproven.

I say build a proper slab phone first.

MS doesn’t get it or doesn’t care, one or the other.
They could easily have continued building and developing smartphones while attempting to get their act together with these new devices at some future date. They quit on their customers all the time.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
They could easily have continued building and developing smartphones while attempting to get their act together with these new devices at some future date. They quit on their customers all the time.

Exactly. There's no need to abandon WM while concurrently working on something supposedly new.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't fired up your Idol lately, you should. I've never seen Windows working this well. The promised bug fixes have so far been a welcome sight. Maybe in the long run this hiatus will be justified with a proper mobile/PC hybrid OS that will become a true 3rd player. Regardless of how any of us feels about their respective choice of OS, we need that 3rd option.

anon(10458357)

May 11, 2018
Visit site
I think canceling Andromeda will be the final straw for many folks. Canceling Andromeda would be horribly deflating to fans and developers alike.

I don't think it can hurt to drop a line satya's way... satyan@microsoft.com, and urge him to consider the morale factor alone. He may just answer.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I think canceling Andromeda will be the final straw for many folks. Canceling Andromeda would be horribly deflating to fans and developers alike.

I don't think it can hurt to drop a line satya's way... satyan@microsoft.com, and urge him to consider the morale factor alone. He may just answer.

I was listening to Dan and Zac's podcast last night and they actually hit on a clever idea...

If MS are worried about launching this device to a world that isn't ready for it, why not take a page from the Tesla playbook and run a pre-order programme, where those that want it have to stick down a hefty deposit.

That way, MS will know exactly what level of appetite exists for the device. Heck, they could then even offer some sort of personalisation...maybe a unique engraving, on your device. Something that personalises it could help to market it.

The worst case scenario in that instance is that MS only get a handful of deposits and can then justifiably say "hey, look, we tried, but no one wants this thing right now, so we're putting it back in the labs and will revisit it one day."

Personally, I think they'd get pre-orders for tens of thousands.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I can't say I'm surprised mostly because LG is having production issues. Microsoft doesn't build anything and Life's Great was supposed to be their supplier for the LCDs. The SD850 chip currently being used on the new WoA laptops is not performing as well as had been expected.

Put all these things together and you have the makings of a colossal failure at launch. I'm very intrigued by this rig if it ever comes to light but my W10 Mobile devices have support for at least another year. I can wait. Besides, Samsung isn't releasing their "foldable" device at least until 2nd half of 2019 and nobody else is seriously in the mix. Chillax.

Guess someone(s) will not be seeing that Christmas bonus this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786