Andromeda Cancelled?!? Nooooo!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
We have no idea what the way forward is. You may be right or you may be wrong. It also just may be a niche for certain business uses.
As far as Android and iOS not having an answer, I would wait and see before making a claim like that. Heck, it might even be someone we haven’t heard of before.
I’ve had a long stressful week. All I know for sure is I’m going to relax this weekend as much as I can and rejuvenate myself. That’s a claim I can back up!
Tim Cook made it clear that iOS will never be integrated with MacOS. I'd provide the citation but I'm too damned tired myself. Android has been moving to a web-based system for some time now (ChromeOS) and in fact they started the development of PWAs. So no, neither of them have an answer for what Windows is brewing because it doesn't appear as if they care. The world is moving towards hybrids and fuel cell technology and Dodge keeps introducing 800hp V-8 Challengers. You always need that zig when everybody's zagging.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Tim Cook made it clear that iOS will never be integrated with MacOS. I'd provide the citation but I'm too damned tired myself. Android has been moving to a web-based system for some time now (ChromeOS) and in fact they started the development of PWAs. So no, neither of them have an answer for what Windows is brewing because it doesn't appear as if they care. The world is moving towards hybrids and fuel cell technology and Dodge keeps introducing 800hp V-8 Challengers. You always need that zig when everybody's zagging.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Apparently what Windows is brewing is no longer on tap, perhaps.

I had this discussion with another poster here almost a year ago that was convinced this supposed technological breakthrough was right around the corner. “Early 2018” was what I was told. I said maybe in 10 years before it becomes widespread and affordable. Again was told, with a large amount of unfounded excitement, that everything was in place for 2018. Would take the world by storm. Apple and Google are in trouble.

I’ll believe it when I see it, and it won’t be in 2018.

Now where’s my beer?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I had this discussion with another poster here almost a year ago that was convinced this supposed technological breakthrough was right around the corner. “Early 2018” was what I was told. I said maybe in 10 years before it becomes widespread and affordable. Again was told, with a large amount of unfounded excitement, that everything was in place for 2018. Would take the world by storm. Apple and Google are in trouble.

Now where’s my beer?

Oh I've never been one to put ETAs on tech products. I'm certainly not saying Google and Apple are in trouble because this product is not meant to compete in the traditional mobile sphere. What I am saying is that if executed properly, this contraption could have success only because Apple and Google aren't developing a pocketable PC with telephony capabilities.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Now where’s my beer?

Let them have their beer I suppose. Overly excited is ok, people fool themselves into whatever they want. I am not sure why anyone would debate over something "surface phone-like" that could happen anyway. Dreaming about it maybe, wishlist's if you will, but arguing over it seems like a stress ball.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If for some reason it is or could be slotted to be cancelled rather than delayed as it is. I wonder if they would look twice at the signatures for this at all?

Ehh probably not. It either gets a green light or not. This is Surface we are talking about now. However maybe one of their OEMs will beat them to the race track...?

Forget Andromeda, here in Thailand MS hasn't even launched the SurfaceBook (any version). It was meant to be February this year but, in classic MS fashion, it was announced but so far doesn't look like happening. Similar to Andromeda really, sadly.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I'd still technically consider the device cancelled... We have no idea what form factor or changes will take place as the project progresses.

Seems like MS is still really keen on trying to figure out what the next device category is so they're first to market with it but at the same time they're incredibly gun shy about making a mistake. Nothing ventured, nothing gained so I guess we'll see where things end up

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd still technically consider the device cancelled... We have no idea what form factor or changes will take place as the project progresses.

Seems like MS is still really keen on trying to figure out what the next device category is so they're first to market with it but at the same time they're incredibly gun shy about making a mistake. Nothing ventured, nothing gained so I guess we'll see where things end up

In some ways, it's good that MS put the brakes on this right now. Imagine if they'd just rushed it, released it and heralded it as the second coming...but MS would never do that, right?

I think more time in development to solve issues such as the potential app gap that always haunts all MS products, or how to deal with the consumer perception of it are areas that MS needs to focus on and they shouldn't be rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss