Samsung launching foldable device early 2019

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The Samsung is actually using a folding screen. No seam. Andromeda is dead. Microsoft won't bother launching it next to a real folding screen.

LOL!

Affordable graphene tech is at least a decade off. There's a major price bottle neck in manufacture. If they use a non-seamed screen, the device will cost 5-10k and no one will buy it. When graphene becomes affordable to produce, it will impact much more than just folding screens, it'll transform technology in general - everything from battery tech, to manufacturing. Things like for example supercapacitor batteries, nanomanufacturing. The day we get even close to that it will be major tech news, and seamless screens will probably be the smallest noise on that day. And you'll hear about it long before then in science news.

That is absolutely 100 percent not happening. Don't know where you heard it, but they are flat out wrong. If you could be more than 100 percent wrong, they'd be that. Tell whomever said that to do some research and stop dreaming.

Samsung produced a flexible display over five years ago. The prototype cost around 10k USD to produce and had a screen the size of a few postage stamps. The cost of graphene manufacture hasn't changed since then. Fantasizing about the future, is a universe apart from the realities of technological development.

This kind of dreaming makes a warditorial look like cynicism. Get a grip.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I should also note, to those who have been not following the graphene flexible screen story:

It's a Microsoft and Samsung co-owned patent, developed back in the balmer days. Should the world discover a means of making flexible, seamless screens affordable, not only will both Samsung and Microsoft have access to the technology for the OLED graphene screens, but it's highly probably they'll work together.

They have a good working relationship, they are both angsty towards google, both "underdogs" in the tech world, windows works better on a bigger screen already (and by the time this happens, it'll be fairly tuned), and they co-developed the screen together. I'd bet money when this comes around, one of the first devices Samsung released will run some variety of windows (maybe one chrome or something else as well though)

But again, that's awhile off.

The day graphene becomes easy to manufacture, will usher in an age of new technology that will make the silicon chip blush. It'll come at us thick and fast. "Computer paper" (ie they can actually in the lab make CPUs, circuits and batteries in graphene), ultra high capacity batteries (technically superconductors not batteries) that can fast charge in a minute, and drive trucks and super heavy machinery. Filtration systems for cleaning up the environment, and desalinating ocean water at no energy cost (bringing hydrogen fuel closer and solving the water crisis). Nanomanufacturing, and even printing basic objects like foods, eventually even complex objects like cars and houses eventually. The science is so broad on graphene possibilities, that it makes something like the polymer or silicon chip seem limited.

That day is not next year. It's not for awhile. When the day comes, you won't hear about it because Samsung released a smartphone. It'll be an explosion of technological excitement. When we get there, graphene will be a pillar of a new technological age.

This is what Samsung and microsoft, as people who know this technology, are preparing for. They are not releasing seemless folding devices in 2019. No way, no how. But they know it's coming, and they want to be first off the boat - so they are both developing the best currently available imitation, early "betas", in the form of folding screens that minimise visually, the seam.

NOT btw, because of already shrinking markets in smartphone sales, or some petty OS user war. But because each company wants to be part of the NEXT wave of consumer uptake, they want to be dominant in the future, and this is part of that _long term_ investment.

Investing in folding screen environments and hardware right now, is like investing in the earlier iterations of VR, or AR. It's not supposed to change the world. It's suppose to hone their game for when the battle is properly here.

Last edited:

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it a little premature to talk about who will their product out first? We don't know if Microsoft will ever even relase Andromeda.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Isn't it a little premature to talk about who will their product out first? We don't know if Microsoft will ever even relase Andromeda.

IDK, to me it appears pretty likely at some point MSFT and Samsung will want to foray into this area of dual screens. They do after all hold a valuable patented technology they invested in in flexible screen tech, have R&D invested in these dual screen proto-designs, and it's pretty much guaranteed to be a tech (flexible screens) with a place in the future.

The only real issue to me, is the exact form and timing that initial release takes. But I'd be surprised if MSFT doesn't release andromeda. Getting windows onto progressively smaller screens, and different input styles is kind of key to the primary business strategy of windows 10. Even if that includes setbacks and misfires.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
In the end no matter what Samsung offers in hardware, it's Android. It's a phone. The promise of Andromeda is that it's not just a phone. Think Surface Go that folds and makes calls.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Unless a foldable device runs Windows with x86 capacity in continuum mode, there is no point. I don't see a desktop use for Android.

My thoughts exactly, I am not waiting for another worthless android or ios device. I am waiting for a full blown windows device in a mobile package. PERIOD. lol

I don't even really care about if it is fold-able...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium