Is Windows Phone coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
But would the masses buy it without the apps they are used to on iOS and Android? More to the point, will MS support it enough in all territories, not just their usual five, and will they even market it?

Or will they end up killing it within a year or rebooting it in some way?

We all know the answer to these questions, even if we don't want to admit it.

yes lol

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone is probably a generic graphic or device used by marketing - I don't think I've heard of a device being outed in promotional imagery like this ever.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think MS have plans for any more mobile devices. Otherwise they wouldn't be supporting Android and, to a lesser extent, iOS so much with all their apps and services.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't think MS have plans for any more mobile devices. Otherwise they wouldn't be supporting Android and, to a lesser extent, iOS so much with all their apps and services.

"I believe" MS is supporting Android and iOS users to demonstrate what we WP users already know, how usefully and important MS built-in apps are and once (if) Android (and maybe iOS) are able to establish a unified communication standard to allow OEM's of all sorts of products to go "nuts" making our lives more "whatever" without having to worry about the incompatiblity of an OS will benefit the greater good and faster technology advancement.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It may even be that if MS does release a mobile device of any note that it runs Android. Whatever mobile device they launch that runs any kind of Windows will always have the stigma of all of the past MS Windows Phone failures attached to it. Therefore, it'll tank and MS will have tried, and failed, again, at a phone of their own.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
It may even be that if MS does release a mobile device of any note that it runs Android. Whatever mobile device they launch that runs any kind of Windows will always have the stigma of all of the past MS Windows Phone failures attached to it. Therefore, it'll tank and MS will have tried, and failed, again, at a phone of their own.

You may be to young to remember, but Apple had an arduous uphill battle to be where they are now, due to the success of a new twist to an old category (the phone). All I'm saying is that when all OSs realize that all devices should be able to interact SECURELY for future harmony in the marketplace, the better off all concern will be. The television business didn't succeed because every production company only broadcasted on it's own proprietary device...no! it succeeded due to the merit of the collective whole: content; manufacturing the brought that content to the consumer; unified standards that allowed cordination between manufacturing and the content to the consumer. I don't see how the IoT can succeed (long term) without ALL devices being able to communicate sercurely with each other.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
You may be to young to remember, but Apple had an arduous uphill battle to be where they are now, due to the success of a new twist to an old category (the phone). All I'm saying is that when all OSs realize that all devices should be able to interact SECURELY for future harmony in the marketplace, the better off all concern will be. The television business didn't succeed because every production company only broadcasted on it's own proprietary device...no! it succeeded due to the merit of the collective whole: content; manufacturing the brought that content to the consumer; unified standards that allowed cordination between manufacturing and the content to the consumer. I don't see how the IoT can succeed (long term) without ALL devices being able to communicate sercurely with each other.

I see your point. Maybe there is still hope for MS to have their 'iPhone moment' yet.

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
I have to say this with Windows Core OS. Windows Phone will be will be back.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have to say this with Windows Core OS. Windows Phone will be will be back.

But even if it is coming back, it still doesn't replace the sour taste most people have for Windows on mobile devices? The developers won't come back either, it's just the same thing, in different clothing, because MS never really learn from their mistakes.

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
But even if it is coming back, it still doesn't replace the sour taste most people have for Windows on mobile devices? The developers won't come back either, it's just the same thing, in different clothing, because MS never really learn from their mistakes.

yes there have learn for the mistakes. that is why there
Taking time Windows Core OS.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
yes there have learn for the mistakes. that is why there
Taking time Windows Core OS.

Core OS is not a mobile OS in the way we’re used to. Portable is a more accurate description and for PCs at that. The fact that Microsoft is trying to leverage telephony into the mix doesn’t make it a smartphone any more than putting a motor on a hang glider and calling it an airplane.

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Core OS is not a mobile OS in the way we’re used to. Portable is a more accurate description and for PCs at that. The fact that Microsoft is trying to leverage telephony into the mix doesn’t make it a smartphone any more than putting a motor on a hang glider and calling it an airplane.
Yes it's true lol

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Exactly this. It seems like MS is currently just throwing whatever they can at the wall to see what sticks.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I completely agree that developers won't come back, and if the developers don't come back, users definitely won't.

Just saw articles that sumsung have demonstrated a dual screen flip device, not unlike the andromeda device.

Basically, without a substantial first-to-market advantage, I can't see the andromeda device getting there now. Why become an early adopter of a niche product, when you can become an early adopter of a mainstream product, that applies for users and developers alike.

MS is more or less stuck with android an iOS, in my humble opinion.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Basically, Samsung (and a Chinese manufacturer, who preceded Samsung) have shown us all that foldable phones are possible. This is most likely the next evolution for phones. But, as with all things, Apple are the ones who will really drive foldable devices, if indeed they do plan to release one. Otherwise, it may just be seen as something of a gimmick, like the display first was on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Of course, whilst we all wait for whatever Apple plan to release, MS will have released Andromeda, failed, rebooted it, failed again and given up and left it to die - such is their usual tactics, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99