Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
04-20-2019 06:13 PM
57 123
tools
    Except that the patent sketches from Microsoft show individual panels brought together with an ingenious hinge design. Granted, the Andromeda Unicorn is/was supposed to be a pocket PC that can take phone calls while the others are just Android phones with silly putty screens. I believe Motorola is on the right path with the RAZR clamshell approach. My theory would be to put an external display for those times when you need to check a notification or take a call without having to open the phone. It would reduce the overall number of times you flex that screen.

Of course, Microsoft could just share (for a fee, naturally) that hinge tech since they’re never going to release the damned thing anyway.

I don’t want a hinge, a bend or anything else on my pocket device. I bought a Key2 LE to have a PKB again which suits me just fine. I’m still not convinced any of this foldable/bendable/TooBulkyForMyPocket crap will ever be mainstream. It’s fun to talk about though.
    04-18-2019 06:25 PM

I don’t want a hinge, a bend or anything else on my pocket device. I bought a Key2 LE to have a PKB again which suits me just fine. I’m still not convinced any of this foldable/bendable/TooBulkyForMyPocket crap will ever be mainstream. It’s fun to talk about though.
    Never had a flip phone? Only a Palm Treo was bulkier.
    04-18-2019 07:35 PM
    Never had a flip phone? Only a Palm Treo was bulkier.
    I had a Razr at one point. I believe it was fairly thin but I never warmed up to it.
    I was a candy bar fan myself.
    04-18-2019 07:36 PM
    Except that the patent sketches from Microsoft show individual panels brought together with an ingenious hinge design. Granted, the Andromeda Unicorn is/was supposed to be a pocket PC that can take phone calls while the others are just Android phones with silly putty screens. I believe Motorola is on the right path with the RAZR clamshell approach. My theory would be to put an external display for those times when you need to check a notification or take a call without having to open the phone. It would reduce the overall number of times you flex that screen.

Of course, Microsoft could just share (for a fee, naturally) that hinge tech since they’re never going to release the damned thing anyway.
    Hopefully MS are watching what is happening with Samsung and that spurs them to actually release Andromeda as a way of doing it properly, similar to what Apple does.
    Laura Knotek and BajanSaint69 like this.
    04-19-2019 06:41 PM

I am totally fine with a durable handheld Windows Mobile device with dual screens that are hinged and completely separate from each other. I use dual screens every day unless I am only on my laptop. I would take advantage of both screens. On top of that you would not have this elastic pealing screen fold design that costs a fortune to engineer and improve.

In fact it would just be a step up from that 8in tablet you have with a bi-fold flip cover. Just that the cover would be the second screen.
    Last edited by nate0; 04-20-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    04-20-2019 05:44 PM
    I am totally fine with a durable handheld Windows Mobile device with dual screens that are hinged and completely separate from each other. I use dual screens every day unless I am only on my laptop. I would take advantage of both screens. On top of that you would not have this elastic pealing screen fold design that costs a fortune to engineer and improve.
    I’m sure there are others like you, I’m just not sure how many. What are people willing to pay? How will you carry it? All interesting questions.
    nate0 likes this.
    04-20-2019 06:01 PM
    I’m sure there are others like you, I’m just not sure how many. What are people willing to pay? How will you carry it? All interesting questions.
    Ya, honestly I would not use it everywhere. I am not convinced on buying a tablet anything yet. The last real tablet we bought was the original Surface and we bought it used. Any other tablet has either sat unused or been sold off to buy something we really need. Tablets are and still are a great idea, but just not for everyone. Same reason a foldable device is actually a great idea, but not for everyone, esepecially in this phase of development. AND especially running Android. Unless you are a Samsung fan, or just into it. I mean we all saw the reviews on Googles last tablet, so how much better and productive can Samsungs really be? I guess that is left to be determined. But a true productivity device that can also easily go anywhere, sounds like a winner. To me of course. Of course Microsoft is so far behind in the times as far as what people want (selfies, dual/triple/quad camera lenses, quad DACs, etc) that their device would only be good at that (productivity)... I have a hunch not many in the up and now would not even think much about it. At least not yet.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-20-2019 06:13 PM
57 123