Is there a market for Andromeda now????

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This comment indicates that the poster I quoted thinks so:

But no, I don't have a problem with it. Why should a for-profit company keep something going that is not helping them, directly or indirectly?

Sometimes it would be nice to have more than a mobile duopoly.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it would be nice to have more than a mobile duopoly.

True, but that's not Microsoft's problem if consumers wish that there was a 3rd option. If it doesn't pay, there is no reason for them to do it.

Also, a duopoly isn't a big problem. At least it's not a monopoly like desktop.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
True, but that's not Microsoft's problem if consumers wish that there was a 3rd option. If it doesn't pay, there is no reason for them to do it.

Also, a duopoly isn't a big problem. At least it's not a monopoly like desktop.

You are right. The consumers have spoken and they don't want a Microsoft phone. That's why Andromeda, whatever form it appears in, may be dead on arrival.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
You are right. The consumers have spoken and they don't want a Microsoft phone. That's why Andromeda, whatever form it appears in, may be dead on arrival.

I think you are right, they don't want a Microsoft phone (their loss) which is why I think Andromeda is going to be a tablet first which also does phone things. I think the idea is that it will save you from having to carry your phone as well as a tablet.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
At least it's not a monopoly like desktop.

I'm curious as to how you see this as a bigger problem. I'm also curious if you actually have a problem with what you're trying to say with this...

I somewhat see your point, but again it's not Microsoft's problem that they knew how to build what end-users consumers and businesses needed and need is it?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I somewhat see your point, but again it's not Microsoft's problem that they knew how to build what end-users consumers and businesses needed and need is it?

Indeed it isn't! But at the same time, neither is it Apple's and Google's problem that they are providing what end users want in mobile. Yet Microsoft fans act like the duopoly in mobile is a huge problem, citing lack of competition. Well, at least Apple and Google are competing with each other!

Microsoft doesn't have much of any competition in desktop, at least not yet. And it's not difficult to argue that the (lack of) quality control in Windows 10 is demonstrating the problem with that. Yet Microsoft fans have no problem with this.

My point is that mentioning the problem with a duopoly in mobile but not seeing an issue with a monopoly in desktop indicates that Microsoft fans don't actually have a problem with the duopoly in mobile. If they actually did, they would have a bigger problem with the monopoly in desktop. They don't. They simply aren't pleased that Microsoft wasn't competent in mobile, and failed. They would have no problem with a duopoly, or even a monopoly, in mobile if Microsoft's mobile OS was one of the options.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Indeed it isn't! But at the same time, neither is it Apple's and Google's problem that they are providing what end users want in mobile. Yet Microsoft fans act like the duopoly in mobile is a huge problem, citing lack of competition. Well, at least Apple and Google are competing with each other!

Microsoft doesn't have much of any competition in desktop, at least not yet. And it's not difficult to argue that the (lack of) quality control in Windows 10 is demonstrating the problem with that. Yet Microsoft fans have no problem with this.

My point is that mentioning the problem with a duopoly in mobile but not seeing an issue with a monopoly in desktop indicates that Microsoft fans don't actually have a problem with the duopoly in mobile. If they actually did, they would have a bigger problem with the monopoly in desktop. They don't. They simply aren't pleased that Microsoft wasn't competent in mobile, and failed. They would have no problem with a duopoly, or even a monopoly, in mobile if Microsoft's mobile OS was one of the options.
Are you speaking for everyone?

Seems you have it figured out.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I think you are right, they don't want a Microsoft phone (their loss) which is why I think Andromeda is going to be a tablet first which also does phone things. I think the idea is that it will save you from having to carry your phone as well as a tablet.

I actually thought about dusting off my 640XL and firing it up. The whole UX of Windows Phone is far better than Android and I miss it.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

Seeing the quality of WP8 and WP7, at the time, MS is at its best when it has competition, and is on the back foot.

While they're in front, it appears they do just enough to justify their position, and stop customers from going somewhere else.

With said though, I do agree, I think most people don't really care about market share, it's just the end user experience that really counts, so that's why duopoly or the monopoly doesn't really matter for most people, they just want what they prefer.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
So having dithered now Samsung unveils the Galaxy Fold.

A revolutionary idea... from Samsung

In the meantime Microsoft is still wondering if there's a market for Andromeda.

Mr Gecko X

Jan 21, 2019
Visit site
If MS released a phone like the Samsung Fold, I would buy it to replace my laptop, tablet, and phone if I could dock it. I will have to wait and see how MS Office works on the Samsung Fold before I would consider buying it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
There will be first Gen foldable 'mobile devices' from many makers. Samsung and Huawei are in a heated market battle hence why they are pretty much the first two ANDROID makers that will be on the shelf with such a device. .. Let's see who's the first maker with a Windows 'mobile device' of this type. It's only a matter of time, but Microsoft has to get that shell/OS optimized and right for this to happen.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
watching an unboxing video for the Galaxy Fold and the guy is raving about how "This is the future!!!" "Will this get to the point where it can replace a laptop???"

https://youtu.be/VSqkL31w69k

Meanwhile MS dithers about Andromeda.
Haha. Lewis has been saying that phrase for the past several years depending on the type of tech he brought to his show. I'm not dismissing the idea here, but some think self driving cars were the future 15-30-45 years ago... Look where we are now. Only time will tell. Of course Sammy is willing to put a first Gen device out already whilst Microsoft continues to twiddle their Thumbs

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Can't MS work out a deal with Samsung, LG, etc. to buy the devices and install windows 10 lite (or whatever version) for resale in MS Stores? I'd pay more for a folding Windows device that makes calls. Seems to me Windows would handle a folding screen better than Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad