5 Surface devices this October

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
"Earlier, Microsoft was reported to be working on a foldable Surface device that could run Android apps. The device, which is codenamed “Centaurus,” is a foldable device that sports two 9-inch displays. This device is powered by a 10nm “Lakefield” Intel processor (the company’s answer to Qualcomm’s SoCs), and will run a version of Windows 10 called Windows Core OS."
that chipset does not make sense for that device so I think surface book 3 is going to get a 10nm “Lakefield” chip
, they probably refer to a Lakefield y proc. Lakefield is supposed to give better standby batterylife times and an y proc for long batterylife. Would make sense, though a Qualcomm soc would make sense too (perhaps better for Android compatibility?).

While the Surface Book probably gets a u proc again (balance in power and battery life), hopefully from Icelake since comet lake is practically just a rebrand (/hardly any performance gains). And perhaps a Nvidia 1650/1660ti and/or a AMD Navi gpu? (a new 7nm/10nm 25-35 Watt AMD apu would be cool too I think :) , probably still too early though)

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
LoL ������ no one have a clue what's coming ������

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-core-os/#shunno-comments
, indeed :) . Interesting discussion about the action center though, there is not so much space to cramp notifications in. I hope they will not remove the buttons though, since those and the brightness slider I use by far the most and the notifications hardly.
Perhaps notifications would be more useful if they are smaller (smaller font, max 2 lines), with (app) icon to the left, so more notifications can fit in that relatively small space. We will see I guess.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
wasn't this stuff long covered by WC way back... the patents and what not. Forbes is just regurgitating no?

Not trying to discredit, maybe need to temper expectations a bit

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
wasn't this stuff long covered by WC way back... the patents and what not. Forbes is just regurgitating no?

I really don't expect anything phone sized running windows core OS for awhile. Unless they do some huge launch with multiple coreOS devices and run at it hard, but I still think stepwise towards smaller and smaller makes more sense.

A) It builds development from a point of strength in the market (laptops and tablets)
B) It gives PWA time to naturally flourish
C) It gives time for other OEMS to pick up each form factore.

The next obvious step is something more like a notepad, a smaller folding tablet with a pen. Maybe with telephony, or at least running ARM with LTE. There's the incoming snapdragon with would be perfect, and the form factor would still be big enough, with the pen, to use win32s, whilst finding a strong niche market with creatives, journalists, meetings, doctors, psychiatrists etc.

A phone is all good and well, but it needs an ecosystem that's competitive. Releasing that prior to the aforementioned larger devices is like a bridge without supports. I'm a fan of MS, I believe andromeda or whatever, a phone sized thingo will happen, I just don't think it's time yet.

Actually if both folding tablets and a public release of hololens were in market, doing well, PWA was bigger, timing would be perfect (could build in some AR to boot).

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site

I don't know what's gonna happen this October but all the sign seems to point to a foldable smartphone in a regular smart phone and watch foldable tablet.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what's gonna happen this October but all the sign seems to point to a foldable smartphone in a regular smart phone and watch foldable tablet.

hope so, I'm ready to try one! If not a microsoft one, maybe will have to settle with trying the huawei mate x as it just looks nice! Really prefer not to use android though. Already have a work iphone but still would like a personal device.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Lol I actually laughed all the way through this lol ������

https://www.windowscentral.com/all-surface-hardware-were-expecting-see-announced-year
, ty I missed that one. I guess MS would do well do to make a Surface Go 2 first before releasing any dual screen devices. Perhaps one with an underclocked ryzen chip to make the Go more as a gaming handheld device too while being interesting for companies for less Spectre like vulnerabilities (the newest Ryzen is pretty efficient but the 7nm Ryzen mobile chips would be perfect but than a Go 2 would have to be delayed quite a few months too :sweaty:).

KJW23

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
, ty I missed that one. I guess MS would do well do to make a Surface Go 2 first before releasing any dual screen devices. Perhaps one with an underclocked ryzen chip to make the Go more as a gaming handheld device too while being interesting for companies for less Spectre like vulnerabilities (the newest Ryzen is pretty efficient but the 7nm Ryzen mobile chips would be perfect but than a Go 2 would have to be delayed quite a few months too :sweaty:).

There are devices that be announced October 2nd

surface go 2
surface tablet
surface phone
surface fordable phone
surface watch

accessories
ear buds
surface pans

software
windows light I'm calling it a Andromeda OS lol

not gonna be there
surface laptop
surface book 3
surface pro

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
There are devices that be announced October 2nd

surface go 2
surface tablet
surface phone
surface fordable phone
surface watch

accessories
ear buds
surface pans

software
windows light I'm calling it a Andromeda OS lol

not gonna be there
surface laptop
surface book 3
surface pro
, you mean that are possibly to be announced right or is it already definitive?
And 'surface pans' lol, now with Cortana integration. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05