A friend of mine sent me this story

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/...-silicon/#mn_p

Basically Apple is moving their OS into their own in-house chip and they say they're gonna transition it all into one ecosystem within two years. Like what MS is doing.

Two questions:
    Who do you think will do it better?
    How worried should MS be?

I'm excited to see what the future holds for Windows on ARM, but I also don't want them to be the ones coming in last.

What do you guys think?
    08-12-2020 09:20 PM
    I didn't know MSFT was planning to transition into the ARM ecosystem.

Anyway, for Apple the switch to another architecture is much simpler because most of their users don't care so much about backwards compatibility. Apple users often simply use the software they get from Apple with the device. And that software will simply come as ARM versions and the users won't even notice a difference.

MS-DOS, Windows, OS/2, and Windows NT users always cared about backwards compatibility. You run Windows because you want to run application X. The Mac user runs application X because it runs on the Mac. That's a huge difference.

The future of Windows on ARM is already the past. The MSFT offerings are great, but there is not much energy behind them and MSFT make it incredibly difficult to buy those things. Here in Switzerland only the Surface Pro X is available and only with Swiss-German keyboard. All the other WoA devices from Samsung, HP etc. are not even available here. In contrast to that Apple sell all Mac products here in an Apple Store and online and in partner stores, you get to pick your keyboard and they have everything in stock. It's much simpler for Apple to change architectures because it's much simpler for Apple customers to be customers.

MSFT moves slowly, markets products as if not wanting to sell them, and waiting for OEMs to market new MSFT software which they don't do.
    08-13-2020 02:56 PM

MSFT moves slowly, markets products as if not wanting to sell them, and waiting for OEMs to market new MSFT software which they don't do.
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

The only exception to this I would say is the Xbox Team, they have made massive leaps and bounds from the Orginal Xbox One Launch. Can they do better, absolutely as there is always room for improvement. However, when compared to the rest of Microsoft they're light years ahead.

Personally, I feel it's the bean counters that are stifling marketing spend in the pursuit of fast stock growth through means of high net profits. But this only short term, a company cannot grow without spending on marketing.

It's due to these damned bean counters that all of Microsoft's physical stores have closed. Now, they have to produce results because that was a drastic decisions and could severily back fire without a digital platform.

Mixer was that digital platform but Microsoft didn't put enough resources into it.

As a result of we have the pending Tiktok deal, a classic Microsoft knee jerk reaction imo.
    08-14-2020 01:15 PM
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

The only exception to this I would say is the Xbox Team, they have made massive leaps and bounds from the Orginal Xbox One Launch. Can they do better, absolutely as there is always room for improvement. However, when compared to the rest of Microsoft they're light years ahead.

Personally, I feel it's the bean counters that are stifling marketing spend in the pursuit of fast stock growth through means of high net profits. But this only short term, a company cannot grow without spending on marketing.

It's due to these damned bean counters that all of Microsoft's physical stores have closed. Now, they have to produce results because that was a drastic decisions and could severily back fire without a digital platform.

Mixer was that digital platform but Microsoft didn't put enough resources into it.

As a result of we have the pending Tiktok deal, a classic Microsoft knee jerk reaction imo.
    You do realize that Microsoft does not really view itself as an enduser consumer company. Nadella was hired to move Microsoft away from massive loss making consumer ventures and move the company to high margin and high profit enterprise areas. Movement to be a leading cloud/SaaS company. Yes, the company does do a few consumer ventures, but most are designed and built to support Nadella's main vision. For example the Surface Duo runs Android to all MS to tap into a much bigger market. Nadella wants Android and iOS to better support all of MS's enterprise services. Nadella could care less about a Windows phone that might get 3% market share. He wants to have MS services widely available and used by 100% of the mobile market.

Nadella is prudent. He is the MAIN MS Bean Counter. He has to be, he is the CEO. We can see this in some of the limitations in the Surface DUO. With a little investment the device could be running the 865+ chip and a decent camera. The device could support 5G and enough memory to do real multitasking , but right now you see reluctance from MS to even classify this device as a phone.
    08-16-2020 01:34 PM
    You do realize that Microsoft does not really view itself as an enduser consumer company.

The TicTok Deal turns this notion on it's head and shoots it outside the heliosphere lol.
    Andrew Brehm likes this.
    08-19-2020 05:02 PM