Difference Between Office 2013 and Office 365

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
What are the differences ?

A guy said to me that if i buy Office 2013 is mine forever while Office 365 is a paid subscription but it has the advantage of having 20gb of Cloud Storage, Web Apps and alot of others things i dont even know about.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Office 365 is a service you pay $99/yr or $9.99/mo and you get what you said plus the use of office for up to 5 computers. It should work so long as you pay. Office 2013 is a single pc license starting at $130 (I think) but it will work so long as the activation severs are on.

pattyandchips

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Office 365 comes with 20GB skydrive and 60 Minutes Skype. Its true that it will only work for as long as your subscription but you do get the ability to swap which computers its licensed on and free upgrades. It also supports 5 PC's where as a standard licenses only allows for 1 installation.

Microsoft Office 2013 is deliberately priced higher than previous editions to encourage people to adopt 365. However if you only need 1 2013 license and will not bother upgrading to 2017 it will probably workout better value.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'll pitch in my discovery last night - if you are a university student, staff, or faculty, you can pay $80 and get Office University for FOUR YEARS with the Skype and SkyDrive bumps, but can only install on two PCs.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll pitch in my discovery last night - if you are a university student, staff, or faculty, you can pay $80 and get Office University for FOUR YEARS with the Skype and SkyDrive bumps, but can only install on two PCs.

Im student. those offers are avaiable in Portugal ? Im buying a Windows 8 Laptop next summer, does it come with Office 2013 ?

Icbuono5

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I just checked office.com and office 365 university (student edition) is $80 for four years up to 2 computers. With that subscription you get Office, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, & Access. You also get 20 GB additional storage on Skydrive and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

This is a way better deal THAN Office Home & Student 2013 for $140 for only 1 PC and you only get Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If I subscribe to Office 365, am I forced to save everything on SkyDrive? I don't want to sync my files to any cloud service. I have a NAS solution at home that I can access from anywhere in the world, whenever I want to. I don't need SkyDrive.

If I can save locally to my PC, or to my NAS, without syncing to SkyDrive, then I would think that Office 365 is the better solution, because of the flexibility, more pieces of software, upgrades, etc. etc.

But I don't want to be forced to upload stuff to "the cloud"...

Icbuono5

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Are you forced to do anything one way in any of Microsoft's products?

I highly doubt that it would force you to save only to SkyDrive. SkyDrive is only there for people who want to edit things on the go and have/transfer files to multiple computers easily. Think about it...

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I just checked office.com and office 365 university (student edition) is $80 for four years up to 2 computers. With that subscription you get Office, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, & Access. You also get 20 GB additional storage on Skydrive and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

This is a way better deal THAN Office Home & Student 2013 for $140 for only 1 PC and you only get Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

There are student discounts for almost every software made...

That being said, I wonder what people need to buy a new version of office for, and worst still, what are the enticements of a subscription based suite ?

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Here's my question. Me and my wife have different live accounts. Will we be able to use office 365 for her 2 and my one with the different accounts?

Icbuono5

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
There are student discounts for almost every software made...

That being said, I wonder what people need to buy a new version of office for, and worst still, what are the enticements of a subscription based suite ?

People need to buy a new version of office for any reason...this is like asking why do people buy new versions of anything? Here are a few reasons: newer version is substantially better; has more features; people who buy new computers; etc.

And for " and worst still, what are the enticements of a subscription based suite ?" , I think I wrote all of the enticements of the subscription based office in my last post...but I did forget about free updates.

Icbuono5

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Here's my question. Me and my wife have different live accounts. Will we be able to use office 365 for her 2 and my one with the different accounts?

TThe regular office 365 I believe allows up to 5 different computers. If you are running windows 8 and you have two accounts setup on it and install office on it I believe it will only account against 1 used and not 2. So you and your wife should be fine don't quote me though. If you go to www.office.com online support people instantly pop up asking if you need any help so you could just ask them to make sure.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So if you want to use it with multiple accounts, here's what you do. You sign in to Office.com with the account that you purchased it on in order to get it activated. Then, when you're opening the program for the first time (and it asks you if you want to sign into an account), that's when you would log in to the second Skydrive.

Keep in mind that only the account that purchased Office will get the 20GB though.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Im student. those offers are avaiable in Portugal ? Im buying a Windows 8 Laptop next summer, does it come with Office 2013 ?
Typically verification processes for university programs require a .edu email address. If you have one of those, you may be in luck. However, always worth reading the terms to see if it's limited in region. There's another deal for a student discount on windows 8 starting tomorrow, but it's rolling out in waves to different regions and Portugal is set for the 21 Feb. (http://m.windowscentral.com/students-save-cash-when-upgrading-windows-8-pro)

If the Office 365 University follows the same schedule, you may be able to get the $80 deal for 4 years on the 21st.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep the home premium will work for 5 different live id's as long as the main live account signs in and downloads it to each PC and the sign out and into the account that PC uses.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So if you want to use it with multiple accounts, here's what you do. You sign in to Office.com with the account that you purchased it on in order to get it activated. Then, when you're opening the program for the first time (and it asks you if you want to sign into an account), that's when you would log in to the second Skydrive.

Keep in mind that only the account that purchased Office will get the 20GB though.

Yep the home premium will work for 5 different live id's as long as the main live account signs in and downloads it to each PC and the sign out and into the account that PC uses.

Exactly the answer I was looking for. I have 3 laptops at home, all different users. But that the free 20GB access only for main user is kind of a bummer.

Last edited:

stylishmobile

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The base applications are same .Office 365 is the next attempt to to MS to make more money.The difference is in whether you choose to use Office 365 services.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Yes it will, but only one account will get the office 365, but you can still save to your skydrive account on your wife's account. Also hotmail will work with outlook 2013.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The best thing about Office 365 with Outlook 13, is that you get EAS support for your outlook.com account. The worst part, it isn't supported on Outlook 2011 for the MAC :'(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss