One Note & Evernote

Jay_wpcentral

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Should I dump Evernote for Onenote.

My work makes extensive use of Word and Office. I even bought the office 365 subscription and love the Office hub at office.microsoft.com.

I also use evernote take notes, text only, pretty much all the time.

So, any opinions on this?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wish I was versed in them more to let you know an opinion, but I only use one note for simple lists. Hopefully you get some insightful tips from someone around these parts :)

Last edited:

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
OneNote is probably the most powerful digital journal on the market bar none. It can act as a printer to embed file formats it doesn't understand, embed video and audio and even search audio files for keywords.

I use it extensively for brainstorming for web development, take screen grabs of concepts, let clients doodle on the documents for their own ideas and even embed audio recordings of meetings. Having access to this on a phone is great, and probably even better on a tablet which is next on the radar.

So it really comes down to do you think you will grow into OneNote, which is to be honest free with Office whilst you have to pay for Evernote to even come close to the same functionality.

Jay_wpcentral

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
@csd

You have a point there. I am already paying for office 365 and I don't want to go premium with evernote which would be another tech bill.

I think I am going to migrate all my notes to One Note and abandon Evernote.

Thanks Irvin and cad. :)

Update - switched to one note. Its actually more feature rich than evernote. Awesome! Thanks again for the above advise.

Last edited:

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've tried using Evernote on and off for years. It was mostly driven by a desire to sync my notes across mobile devices (iOS, Android, webOS) and at work and home (pre-SkyDrive sync). I kept coming back to OneNote. Evernote compares about as well to OneNote as Wordpad does to MS Word. I'm sure there are some Evernote masters out there that would disagree and say that I just don't know how to use it right. The thing is, I started at zero for both apps, at about the same time. I had plenty of reason to learn Evernote and many obstacles to adopting OneNote. OneNote still blew Evernote away. The apps are in different classes. The best use I found for Evernote was to take notes on my phone so I could copy and organize them in OneNote, later.

Jay_wpcentral

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Word pad to MS Word, yep, that is how they compare. Can't believe I have had OneNote sitting on my phone and never used it.for non WP users, evernote makes sense.

For us, OneNote all the way!

Greg Halvorsen

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
IMHO - OneNote on WP is a HUGE disappointment primarily b/c it lacks the ability to tag notes AND takes FOREVER to Boot. The latter problem is my biggest concern as it simply takes way too long to open and save a quick note - something I require in my phones note functionality.

brunok

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Evernote beats OneNote in some aspects:
  • Capturing web pages. There are plug-ins for every major browser and retrieved articles are a lot cleaner than OneNote's plug-in (available only for IE).
  • Evernote sync's faster.
  • Evernote handles PDF's better. A whole PDF can be viewed inside Windows desktop client. In OneNote, you need to attach it or paste it as an image.
Overall, I prefer OneNote, but it could improve on those areas.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been very impressed with OneNote on my phone, but on a computer it wipes the foor with Evernote. I used OneNote on my x60t all through college and never even carried a paper notebook, its fantastic. By far the best (and least known) MS office product. If you use Outlook you will really enjoy task creation in OneNote, it works seamlessly with now add-ons.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
  • Capturing web pages. There are plug-ins for every major browser and retrieved articles are a lot cleaner than OneNote's plug-in (available only for IE).
  • Evernote sync's faster.
  • Evernote handles PDF's better. A whole PDF can be viewed inside Windows desktop client. In OneNote, you need to attach it or paste it as an image.
1- you don't need a plug-in OneNote runs a clipping client that snips with win+s
2- might be true, but just let onenote sync in the background and its not an issue
3- you have multiple options for PDFs in OneNote, you can print to OneNote or embed either all in one long note or new note pages for each pdf page. I don't understand what your complaint about this is.

dosto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think OneNote is far more feature rich than Evernote. Currently, though, I use Evernote more for simple, text notes, while I use OneNote for full-blown notebook/file-folder style projects. I like Evernote for it's ease of use and simplicity. I like OneNote for the tabs and sections, which greatly enhance the organization of my case files.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been ignoring OneNote for so long. You guys have convinced me to give it a try today.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
In my opinion EverNote is bloated and convoluted in how it displays and organizes information. I used it back-in-the-day pre-bloat and it was good. Because of the variety of devices I interact with (Android tablets, iOS phones, iOS tablets, WinRT tablet, WP8 phone, OSX, Win8) I need something that is easily cross-platform. Even if it doesn't use the same application on each platform, it is able to access the same data.

Now I have two streams.... my primary method is a simple DropBox folder with plain .txt files for short, easy to access, snippets of information. This data is accessible from anywhere and everywhere. It's easy to add to.

I've now started using OneNote (with SkyDrive storage) for more detailed info gathering and organization. It is available for free on all of those platforms (though the for-purchase Outline+ for iOS is far superior than Microsoft's own free OneNote app). There's also a desktop version of Outline+ for OSX. I haven't gotten to the point of feeling comfortable to purchase that yet.

monkeyvn87

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Word pad to MS Word, yep, that is how they compare. Can't believe I have had OneNote sitting on my phone and never used it.for non WP users, evernote makes sense.

For us, OneNote all the way!

Hi Bro, I know this topic is a little bit old. But I want to say that with OneNote (on WP), we cannnot create new Sections and Notebook, just only new Pages. If we want to create new Notebook or new sections (in a specific notebook), we have to do it on OneNote Online or OneNote Desktop, but on our phones.

Hope people can help me for voting this feature available soon in OneNote on WP.

OneNote should allow to create new Notebooks and Sections, not just Pages

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos