Hey guys need some quick advice here... I am in the middle of a course and I need access to Microsoft Office to open and edit .docx files. I've tried Open Office and while it sometimes works it currently won't open the files I need to get access to and I'm coming up to crunch time. As I'm a student you've got the obvious "I have no money" etc. but I've stumbled across the ability to edit word documents through Skydrive used the "Word Web App" which seemingly lets me open, edit and save files which is all I need to do. My Q is, are there any limitations to this method? Will it run out and just stop letting me access files etc. at some point? I need my solution to work until at least the end of June.
    05-07-2013 12:35 PM
    Yeah I believe the Word Web App is part of Skydrive so there shouldn't be any limitations. On another hand, have you checked with your school to see if they offer free software?
    Muessig likes this.
    05-07-2013 01:22 PM
    it should only be limited by the inherent technical limitations as a web app, and Microsoft not wanting to bother squeezing in the entire Word package into a web app.

you should be fine, if it wanted you to pay or something, it wouldve been made obvious.

also you might want to check in with IT, your school or something may have a program making some stuff more affordable/free set up
    05-07-2013 05:01 PM
    Yeah thanks guys ill check out any programmes they might have running. Good to know this could be a stop-gap solution.
    05-07-2013 05:22 PM
    As a student, you should have access to a cheaper version of Office along with most other major software packages. I'd recommend both the student version of 2013 and the Skydrive versions since you may not always be at a machine with 2013 installed, but 2013 natively saves to Skydrive so you can always access your work. You also get 3 free GB of storage in Skydrive (search for that promotion). Regarding the features in Office via Skydrive, the Office apps are full featured for most work. I do miss things like the ability to lock cells in Excel, but for quick document writing that you can do on any internet connected machine, you can't beat the flexibility, especially when it opens natively in Office on the desktop, and automatically syncs with your Windows Phone.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    05-28-2013 11:15 PM
    05-28-2013 11:34 PM