POLL: Like the Office for iPad Move?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Some of you guys feel Microsoft is supporting others better, because they released Office for iPad before a touch friendly version for Windows 8. In my opinion, I think this was a good move by Microsoft, as they'll get more users. Anyways, they technically don't get it for free, unlike Windows RT users.

So in the end, do you like it or not? Post a reply and take the poll, and let us know!

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I love how they offered Office for iPad, but made it worse than the W8.1 version :) not that the windows version is bad, just that I like that the iPad version is super limited, yet still offers what most people expect.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think this is very important for Microsoft. Lets not forget that Office makes more money than WINDOWS, let alone Windows Phone. Not making a genuine version of Office for iOS will only incentivize users to use Google Docs, or Apple's knockoff Office suite.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think this is very important for Microsoft. Lets not forget that Office makes more money than WINDOWS, let alone Windows Phone. Not making a genuine version of Office for iOS will only incentivize users to use Google Docs, or Apple's knockoff Office suite.

Took the words right out of my mouth. They're going where the money is, and that's in the hands of the people holding iPads. Like it or not, their platform is far more ubiquitous than WP or RT right now and at the end of the day loyalty only get's you so far. It's all about the dollars and cents and keeping the stockholders happy.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I love how they offered Office for iPad, but made it worse than the W8.1 version :) not that the windows version is bad, just that I like that the iPad version is super limited, yet still offers what most people expect.

You know, people keep saying how limited it's supposed to be, but Paul Thurrott's review doesn't make it sound like it's really that gimped at all.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
For now. But how long will it last before this move transitions over to tablets.

What I think people are missing with this news is that you still need to either subscribe to 365 or own a copy of Office to create docs in the first place. There's the rub. As long as you can create documents on the tablet version I don't think you'll every see it go free.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Doubt it. That would be a dumb move, as people use tablets like laptops now adays.

Sent from my Xbox One using WPCentral Forums

Lets hope so. Cause as long as Google Docs stay free that can potentially chomp into Office.

And let's be honest MS hasn't always made the best of decisions.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Lets hope so. Cause as long as Google Docs stay free that can potentially chomp into Office.

And let's be honest MS hasn't always made the best of decisions.

I doubt it. Google Docs is only free for individual use. They charge companies with a certain number of users on Google Docs.

Edit: It's actually $5/user/month, or $50/user/year

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
What I think people are missing with this news is that you still need to either subscribe to 365 or own a copy of Office to create docs in the first place. There's the rub. As long as you can create documents on the tablet version I don't think you'll every see it go free.

Only you no longer need 365 for Android Phones or iPhone. That alone can take a hit in WP since now there's a level playing field.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
That's just for editing documents, you still have to pay to create them.

"I just installed it and I do not have a 365 subscription. I put in my email address and password and am off to the races. I checked out a few things and all seems in order; opening, editing, creating a document from scratch."

"I installed and told me I had no Office 365 active account, then the Play Store told me it had an update, after updating, I was able to sign it. I saw all my onedrive documents and I can confirm you can make Excel and Word documents (not Powerpoint)"

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Yep. And how many of those do you think are exclusively on Google Docs? Not many. And that's where MS dominates and makes their green.

That's fine. MS should prevail in the corporate world. Problem is there are millions of potential individuals. We saw how far Blackberry got relying on business. Of course MS is and always has been about software. But how much room is being left making people want to move over to their devices?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Only you no longer need 365 for Android Phones or iPhone. That alone can take a hit in WP since now there's a level playing field.

I think there was an incredibly low number of users who purchased a Windows Phone for Office support alone.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
That's fine. MS should prevail in the corporate world. Problem is there are millions of potential individuals. We saw how far Blackberry got relying on business. Of course MS is and always has been about software. But how much room is being left making people want to move over to their devices?

I hate to say it, but as much as I love WP it's most likely going to always be a distant third in this market. Even Ballmer admitted that Microsoft waited too long and they've lost the mobile game already and need to focus on what's coming next. All you folks who are waiting for some triumphant surge are probably going to be disappointed. WP may pick up a respectable percentage over the next several years but I don't believe you'll ever see it dominate. You simply can't own every single market you compete in. Try to spin too many plates at once and one of them is bound to fall. Microsoft has to do what's best for Microsoft and right now that's getting as many as people as they can on board with their software and services regardless of platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers