POLL: Like the Office for iPad Move?

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I think there was an incredibly low number of users who purchased a Windows Phone for Office support alone.

And this will not help matters pushing forward. I like WP. I choose it over anything. I'm hoping 8.1 really brings it more in the forefront.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
"I just installed it and I do not have a 365 subscription. I put in my email address and password and am off to the races. I checked out a few things and all seems in order; opening, editing, creating a document from scratch."

"I installed and told me I had no Office 365 active account, then the Play Store told me it had an update, after updating, I was able to sign it. I saw all my onedrive documents and I can confirm you can make Excel and Word documents (not Powerpoint)"

Hm. I'll have to jump on my Galaxy Mega and check that out, but from the product description it read like you could only edit documents.

Edit: Huh, well looks like I can't. Play Store says "Your device is not compatible with this version". Wonder how many other Android phones are in that boat??

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I stand corrected. There it is, right at the end of the product description:

"Sign in with a free Microsoft account to create, edit and save documents for home use. A qualifying Office 365 subscription is required to create, edit and save documents for business use. Qualifying plans include: Office 365 Small Business Premium, Office 365 Midsize Business, Office 365 Enterprise E3 and E4 (Enterprise and Government), Office 365 Education A3 and A4, and Office 365 ProPlus."

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
And this will not help matters pushing forward. I like WP. I choose it over anything. I'm hoping 8.1 really brings it more in the forefront.

I agree with you there. WP is my preference as well. Unless something radical would happen, my next phone will be a Windows Phone without question. But, especially with the decidedly mediocre experience of Office on the phone, I don't think Office support can be the single feature that would make someone choose a WP device over Android or iphone.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd say its a good move. MS makes good money off of this method or at least gain some goodwill. Hook them up on MS services (like the Nokia X approach) and eventually see what happens... Besides, on my university everybody uses those damn iPads, now they can utilize their Office 365 license. I hope they stop pestering me with making their damn notes all the time on my Surface 2 during meetings. Very smart move for the corporate industry I'd say!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It's not really a big deal, you still need an Office 365 subscription to create and edit documents. Something that Surface doesn't require.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I think Microsoft flubbed it. IMO they should've offered a flat-out purchase option in addition to the Office 365 subscription option. I'd gladly pay $10 per app for every iPad in our house. But I'm not going to rent software. Just not going to do it.

I also think that it cut the legs out from the Surface RT/2. Not only is the Surface RT/2 not the only tablet with MS Office, but it is the only one without a touch interface version.

Edit:
Ok. That didn't take long. I found a 1 yr subscription for $65 and figured what-the-heck and will try it out.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft flubbed it. IMO they should've offered a flat-out purchase option in addition to the Office 365 subscription option. I'd gladly pay $10 per app for every iPad in our house. But I'm not going to rent software. Just not going to do it.

I also think that it cut the legs out from the Surface RT/2. Not only is the Surface RT/2 not the only tablet with MS Office, but it is the only one without a touch interface version.

Surface RT/2 don't have a touch interface version yet, Office Gemini is due soon and the doesn't need an Office 365 subscription to create and edit documents.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And this Google+ post pretty much tells the story of why it may not matter so much that they're giving it away on Android - many of them just don't care. Fanboys will be fanboys.

Attachments

• 1396003167633.jpg
    1396003167633.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 3

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Two days ago I ordered my new iPad, one day later Office was released. As I have a Office 365 subscription, of course I like it!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
And this Google+ post pretty much tells the story of why it may not matter so much that they're giving it away on Android - many of them just don't care. Fanboys will be fanboys.

That comment is far from true. Those making this comment are probably not the type that use anything beyond facebook and twitter anyway. Beyond that, the "root and sideload" class always gravitate to "free". It is the main reason why they are on android in the first place.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
That comment is far from true. Those making this comment are probably not the type that use anything beyond facebook and twitter anyway. Beyond that, the "root and sideload" class always gravitate to "free". It is the main reason why they are on android in the first place.

I think that's not quite true. A sizeable portion of people that tend to spend a good deal of time on G+ are tech blogger types, IT professionals, developers, etc. Most are not your typical Facebook airheads and soccer moms. These guys are pretty much the base of your hard core Android/Google fans and not just a bunch of teenage girls.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think that's not quite true. A sizeable portion of people that tend to spend a good deal of time on G+ are tech blogger types, IT professionals, developers, etc. Most are not your typical Facebook airheads and soccer moms. These guys are pretty much the base of your hard core Android/Google fans and not just a bunch of teenage girls.
LOL @ Soccer moms. Like they are some real class of folk. Anyway, whatever your opinion of the root and sideload class and who makes up this faction, the fact remains, free stuff drives visitors. Android feeds those visits because there is so much of what is popular available free almost everywhere.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I haven't really looked into the new Office for iPad, but I do know it is much more limited in functionality in comparison to even Office 2013 RT.

As for being touch friendly, Office 2013 does have a touch mode. How does Office for iPad compare to Office 2013 in touch mode in regards to being touch friendly?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos