How do I subscribe for Office 365 in WP 8.1

Paul Kortman

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
On my laptop I have an O365 subscription. When I try to subscribe to O365 on my L1520 I use the login data of my Microsoft account, but they are not accepted. What do I have to do?

Paul Kortman

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Also what type of Windows Phone? Are you trying to get edit where you have read only at present?

Remember, Windows 8 / 8.1 is NOT = TO Windows Phone 8 / 8.1... So... Office 365 for your PC is going to be NOT = TO Office on your Windows Phone...

Maybe you need this App: Office 365 Admin | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Thank you for the clarification of the difference between Windows and Windows Phone. I just entered the World of WP 8.1 after two years of Belle (Refresh) and before that other variaties of Symbian on various Nokia devices. Although the synchronisation between Symbian and Office was rather OK, I expected that with Windows Phone it would all run smoothly with the Office 365 applications.
When I tap on the O365 tile the menu option 'location' opens. In the list you can choose Office 365. An user id and password is asked. I presume I have to give my Microsoft account data, but these are not accepted. What data should I give and what do I het when I enter this 'Office 365'?

I think I use the standard O365 for which I pay $ 10 a month.

Last edited:

SB5

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the clarification of the difference between Windows and Windows Phone. I just entered the World of WP 8.1 after two years of Belle (Refresh) and before that other variaties of Symbian on various Nokia devices. Although the synchronisation between Symbian and Office was rather OK, I expected that with Windows Phone it would all run smoothly with the Office 365 applications.
When I tap on the O365 tile the menu option 'location' opens. In the list you can choose Office 365. An user id and password is asked. I presume I have to give my Microsoft account data, but these are not accepted. What data should I give and what do I het when I enter this 'Office 365'?

I think I use the standard O365 for which I pay $ 10 a month.

What I see on the app is that this log in is to access company servers and sync documents and information from it. Is that what you are trying to do?

If not then you can always just save files to OneDrive and access those from the menu item "OneDrive" in the Office app on your phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Office 365 account only applies if you have a separate account that is not your personal Microsoft Account.

I have a yearly subscription to Office 365 Home, and my account for Office 365 is my Microsoft Account, so I just use my Microsoft Account and do not bother with the Office 365 settings on my Windows Phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Still not sure exactly which device you have.... Some (entry level) devices have read only Office, others come with edit capability. I started with a Lumia 521 and it was read only Office, when I moved up to Lumia 925 I had edit.

Like SB5, I use OneDrive for syncing documents between device and PC. I have Office 2010 on my PC as a permanent install. Recently, MSFT installed a plug-in on the PC side so that I have a OneDrive folder for a Save As location option inside Office. Can't quite remember how I got that hooked up. Probably by signing into OneDrive via PC and going through settings there?

As Laura said - the real key to leveraging your various devices is your Microsoft Account. Keep them the same across PC and devices for maximum benefit and effect.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Actually I've been looking at this and having just got my first Windows phone, I am a little puzzled too. I want to edit my desktop Excel files on my N930 and although I can open them I don't seem to be able to edit. I'm using Office Pro (2010) and was wondering if I upgraded to O365, would it resolve the issue? I'm not keen on the monthly subscription idea, especially as it's more expensive in the UK (?10, around $16+ a month) but will pay it if it resolves the editing issue.

It seems really odd that I can edit my Excel files on an android phone using a free compatible app but not on a Windows 8.1 phone?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No... Don't change the Office on your computer if you don't want to... That won't help your phone (so far as I know).

I have Office Pro 2010 as well. That is not the issue.

I am surprised, though, when I look at the stats for 930 that it says Document Viewer. I thought you got Viewer/Editor with every Windows Phone of that level. Certainly my 925 has Editor and the 930 is the successor of that model.

Bt then I look at Nokia's site and they say yes you can edit on 930 with Office Mobile: Nokia Lumia 930 - Microsoft Office Mobile - User Guide - Nokia - UK

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
No... Don't change the Office on your computer if you don't want to... That won't help your phone (so far as I know).

I have Office Pro 2010 as well. That is not the issue.

I am surprised, though, when I look at the stats for 930 that it says Document Viewer. I thought you got Viewer/Editor with every Windows Phone of that level. Certainly my 925 has Editor and the 930 is the successor of that model.

Bt then I look at Nokia's site and they say yes you can edit on 930 with Office Mobile: Nokia Lumia 930 - Microsoft Office Mobile - User Guide - Nokia - UK

Thanks, just that it seemed pointless to pay more for something that doesn't do any more than my current version does. And I'm not a big fan of monthly subscriptions.

I get the "Can't edit workbook" message that others have reported. There must be a reason why some can edit their docs and others can't but I haven't had the chance to read up any more on it yet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Uh Yup... You have view / edit for Word, Excel, PowerPoint.. Also One Note on the 1520.

OneDrive is meant to tie all your devices together for sharing with yourself and others.

Did you find the OneDrive folder on your PC yet?

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
just open the office app on your phone and navigate to skydrive then open the file you want to edit. when you pay for office 365 it just lets you edit files using online office apps as well as other devices. I'm guessing there is a setting you have to change in your 2010 excel to allow that file to be edited. I create and edit excel files all the time and I'm using office 2007 and office 365. you just open it with the phones office app and go to the skydrive part to find your file.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
just open the office app on your phone and navigate to skydrive then open the file you want to edit. when you pay for office 365 it just lets you edit files using online office apps as well as other devices. I'm guessing there is a setting you have to change in your 2010 excel to allow that file to be edited. I create and edit excel files all the time and I'm using office 2007 and office 365. you just open it with the phones office app and go to the skydrive part to find your file.

All of what you describe is exactly what I do. My guess is the same, that there is some setting there in 2010 that needs changing but I'm damned if I can find it. 'Permissions' says that "Anyone can open, copy and change any part of this workbook".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb