In my Outlook 2013(Desktop), why don't new emails arrive until I open the inbox?

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
outlook 2013(Desktop):new mails don't arrive until I open the inbox?

I am new to outlook 2013.I am using it on a windows 8 laptop.I have added two accounts in it(Outlook&Gmail).In the beginning both worked fine.I was getting notification for new mails as soon as they arrived in both the mails.Now my outlook account works fine.but Gmail doesn't notify me when a new mail arrives.Only when my Windows Mail app shows notification i realize that i got a new mail.and when I open the inbox it syncs and all the mails come rushing in.I played with all the settings a bit to get acquainted with all the options,but i didn't change anything blindly,i just changed text,fonts themes.but I am not sure if i had disabled/changed something important or not.the notification,alert is on in the mail option,in my system settings,notification for office 2013 is on,I didn't change any notification settings what so ever.I believe that the settings in the "options" are common for both the mail accounts.Then why only my outlook mail receives mails immediately while my gmail doesn't?is there any settings that I have to check?please help me find a solution.I need flawless notification for both the mails without any delay or issues that just i mentioned.thank you.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: outlook 2013(Desktop):new mails don't arrive until I open the inbox?

First thoughts - In the email account settings, what type are you using for GMail (POP/IMAP/SMTP etc)? Is Work Offline inadvertently selected?

To be honest, with Outlook, 90% of the time it's quicker to create a new profile than troubleshoot bizarre issues. In Control Panel, locate the Mail item. Look for the option to create a new profile and select the option to always prompt for a profile when starting (you can change it later). Re-create the accounts in that profile and see if the behaviour is the same. That'll help narrow down where the issue is.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

First thoughts - In the email account settings, what type are you using for GMail (POP/IMAP/SMTP etc)? Is Work Offline inadvertently selected?

Thank you.my Gmail type is IMAP/SMTP.I just removed the email account and added again voila it worked.Thank you so much.I was confused with settings,I thought i had messed with some settings and that's what caused it.because i changed "schedule an automatic send/receive every"=30mins to 1 min ,I thought it's because of that.Still i have to get the hang of the settings and be clear what does what.Thanks again for helping me out.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

I find it much easier to just have my Gmail forwarded to my outlook account. That way, when new gmail comes in, it is automatically forwarded to my outlook account which is a POP account. Works great and does not slow down Outlook.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

I'll kind of second that .. Choose an ecosystem and go All In.
If you're Google, go that way. If you're MS, do that.
As much as they say they'll play nice together the truth is you'll have issues
Set up forwarding etc and go with one provider.
Nowt worse than half assed mailbox/calendar sync.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Also, to explain
Pop/smtp is a decades-old "dumb" way of connecting. The client application looks at the server and downloads anyhrging it hasn't seen before.
With imap or other newer protocols the client app is able to know that messages have been read on other devices

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Forgive spelling. I am, and hope to continue to be, quite poised

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

I am fully immersed in MS ecosystem anyway but need to use Gmail for some reasons.of course thrusting google services into MS will be buggy.But the problem is it is not just the gmail,sometimes when I reconnect the internet my outlook mail also doesn't sync, shows some send/receive error.I don't really know what I am doing wrong.My windows Mail app works just fine but it crashes often,and that's the reason i switched to outlook 2013.but it seems much complicated or buggy or I might be doing something wrong.is there any option to automatically sync the mail whenever I connect to the internet?Now it doesn't do so.when I wake the computer from sleep and connect to the internet,I get mail notification from Windows mail app,but not from outlook 2013.It doesn't even sync automatically when net connection was established.As you said I removed the account completely and added again.And it worked well but after disconnecting the internet and connecting again after a while brought the same issue back for outlook mail as well(It keeps showing "Prepared to send/receive" but nothing happened).by the way when I added the account again,a new outlook data file(.ost) created in the outlook source folder in the C drive but the old data file is also there which is not deleted when i removed the account(Now in the outlook folder in C drive two data files are there(.ost) with same name). is it ok?should I delete the old one?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Each ost relates to a Profile. They do ni harm sitting there - if you delete one, the related Profile won't load.

The next thing I'd try is to toggle the cached Exchange mode in account settings.

You can also keep an eye on connectivity and test the settings by ctrl+right click the system tray icon (or shift+right click, I forget which and it's early and my hangover is just kicking in)

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
You can also keep an eye on connectivity and test the settings by ctrl+right click the system tray icon

I just checked the connectivity.earlier it showed My outlook was disconnected now it shows my gmail is disconnected.And this is the reason why i don't receive mails properly.I reconnected the connection,yes both the accounts were connected but then again after few mins my gmail is disconnected automatically.some times it shows 2gmail accounts one connected and one disconnected.is there any option to constantly keep the accounts connected when PC is connected to internet?I think by default it is set to reconnect automatically when computer is connected to internet.But it doesn't work sometime.are there any settings for connectivity somewhere?.Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In the account settings>advanced what is the server timeout?

This isn't Gmail, since I don't use it, but notice my server timeout setting.
timeout.PNG

Try a longer timeout setting.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
In the account settings>advanced what is the server timeout?

This isn't Gmail, since I don't use it, but notice my server timeout setting.
View attachment 96608

Try a longer timeout setting.

Yes I already have set the server time out longer(10mins). the problem is,when i stay in the gmail inbox it shows connected and gets the mail without any problem but if I go to outlook inbox, the gmail gets disconnected and no new mail comes in.my outlook works just fine always connected.this seems a tricky problem but I think there must be a simple solution for this..But for the past 2days i can't find one..I think outlook mail is not fully ready to handle other mails yet.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes I already have set the server time out longer(10mins). the problem is,when i stay in the gmail inbox it shows connected and gets the mail without any problem but if I go to outlook inbox, the gmail gets disconnected and no new mail comes in.my outlook works just fine always connected.this seems a tricky problem but I think there must be a simple solution for this..But for the past 2days i can't find one..I think outlook mail is not fully ready to handle other mails yet.

I don't use Gmail any longer, but I did when I originally got Outlook 2013. I also used Gmail with Outlook 2007 and 2010. I've never had issues with multiple email accounts in any version of Outlook. I'm currently using Outlook for 4 different email accounts.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
is there anyway to restore the default settings in outlook 2013?I want to start over again.I want to remove all the accounts and restore all the default settings then add all the accounts again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb