Outlook 2016 preview for pc SLOW

DaveSC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
It takes 3 full seconds to switch between emails in outlook for me. I installed the preview about a week ago and every single email that I have clicked sits at a blank screen for a few seconds before it displays. It is fairly consistent in the amount of time that it takes.

When I click new email or reply I have to wait roughly 5-10 seconds before the window is displayed.

-=Environment Details=-
Ram: 32 GB
Accounts: 2 x Exchange accounts (exchange 2010 for both)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Note your title... PREVIEW....

This means, not perfect. So expect issues. If it causes you headaches go back to whatever version you were using before. Or try re-installing.

DaveSC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Note your title... PREVIEW....

This means, not perfect. So expect issues. If it causes you headaches go back to whatever version you were using before. Or try re-installing.

yeah... ummmm Thanks for pointing out some obvious **** that didn't need to be pointed out? I wasn't complaining, simply reporting an issue in case someone else had a similar experience but you have a great day.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's been my experience that Outlook has been kind of slow, even the current version. My work account locks up all the time connected to 365. But the web client and win 10 email client are always fast.

Do you have a large inbox or many rules setup?

DaveSC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
N_LaRUE, You really turned this into something it's not..

Other people in this subforum might be having the same problem/might not realize that it shouldn't do this. Searches on google for this issue would direct users to this topic. Someone here might actually come up with a potential fix for the issue. What is the point of this subforum if not to talk about office?

Yes I have already provided Microsoft with feedback.

Why am I justifying this to you? Are you the Forum police? Oh noes...

DaveSC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
It's been my experience that Outlook has been kind of slow, even the current version. My work account locks up all the time connected to 365. But the web client and win 10 email client are always fast.

Do you have a large inbox or many rules setup?

Yeah, I am also running the Exchange Anywhere registry modification in order to connect to exchange 2010 offsite. But if I remember correctly I had the same issue before I enabled the offsite account. I tried connecting to another account that only has a few hundred emails under a new profile and had much the same experience.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Other people in this subforum might be having the same problem/might not realize that it shouldn't do this. Searches on google for this issue would direct users to this topic. Someone here might actually come up with a potential fix for the issue. What is the point of this subforum if not to talk about office?

I'll explain myself this way, even though you won't appreciate it.

1) This site is mostly phone centric even though they changed the name and have sub forums for PC and xBox
2) A lot of users tend to come on here to do nothing but complain about the latest preview (what they often call update)
3) You won't come across many other IT people who may be able to help with your issue here. There are some but not many.
4) With your issue you're better off going to a professional centric place

That's why I said what I said.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I am also running the Exchange Anywhere registry modification in order to connect to exchange 2010 offsite. But if I remember correctly I had the same issue before I enabled the offsite account. I tried connecting to another account that only has a few hundred emails under a new profile and had much the same experience.

I can only say I feel your pain. I've about given up on using the desktop version of outlook. Using the 365 Outlook online is a great experience though. I've been thinking it's because I have a large inbox with rules. I can't even edit my rules to remove them anymore as the dialog never comes back up.

You can try playing around with the offline cached mode. I forget what's it's called exactly.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Your server does not have a proxy? Shouldn't need any registry edits lol
EDIT: Currently not a fan of Outlook 2016 and Mobile previews. Will have to wait until they're up to par. Have had too many issues with multiple accounts.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think Outlook suffers from some of the same problems IE has. It does too much and too much legacy support. I'm finding the Win10 clients a bit more reliable and speedy but they lack many features.

Glenn Short

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
The slowness is due to an add-on in outlook 2016
I just kept disabling one at a time until I found the one that cause the problem - then was fast
So many there - I disabled some of the new ones Outlook 2016 added, and one from Nuance - and that did it for me
Might be easier to delete all you don't use, then add back as needed.
Of course you should close Outlook 2016 after disabling the add-on and then reopen to see the result.

It is obvious that a lot of the third parties have to update their program add-ons. Adobe does for sure. Got around that one by using the advise found on the net. regedit and search for GreatestSuppVer and change to 16 (have to select decimal, you will see, otherwise the hexadecimal will appear as a letter). Search only found the adobe program.. so was fine. There were several that needed changes - I think was 8.

MauiTechGuru

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I found it was the AVG add-on that caused the slowness, disabled that and I was back in the drivers seat. I can live without AVG filter in Outlook for now as I have a hosted Exchange security filter before anything reached Outlook.

Ally Superman

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Just came to the exact same conclusion, came back to let the forum know and then saw your post :grin:
Defo AVG Add in causing the problem for me.

ripefruit

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

You are 100% right DaveSC: it's windows, it's a forum, the only point out of place is N_LaRUE who feels he needs to explain himself .

I've tried turning add-ons off, disabling functions all to no avail, so any more advice would be fabulous (unless someone thinks this isn't right place to ask?).

jdbsmith

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Since this most was from July of 2015 I hope the you've found a solution by now. For me it was an AVG add-in that needed to be disabled before proper and timely mail preview was possible. To access the add-ins in outlook, File > Options > Add-ins then click GO at the bottom to the right of Manage COM Add-ins. Remove the check mark from AVG Addin for MS Outlook.

Deccypher

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
For large Pst files edit your registery regedit

find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\PST

The following 2 new DWORD values must be created or set;
WarnLargeFileSize
Don’t set this higher than 4090445042 (decimal) or f3cf3cf2 (hexadecimal)
MaxLargeFileSize
Don’t set this higher than 4294967295 (decimal) or ffffffff (hexadecimal)

increasing these will override the default suggested limit and youll see good improvment

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6