Office mobile vs. desktop office?

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I just got a surface pro 3 to replace my Sony Ultrabook.
I currently have office 2013.
I plan on purchasing office 2016 when released for my surface pro 3.
Question is there a difference using mobile Office to desktop office in regards with touch interface, I'm looking for the latter use case.
I'm aware that office for mobile requires an office 365 subscription for 10.1 devices and higher. Though I prefer a straight buy out of office 2016 as opposed to a yearly subscription model.
Though very curious what are the differences.
Thanks ahead.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I can remember when MS first came out with the subscription of Office idea and was dead against it, but I have to admit I have changed my views on this.

Especially if you have any kind of family (And what is a family), each member of the family that uses one of the five subscriptions gets 1tb of OneDrive storage and this really makes the use of cloud sing as you can effectively put everything in the cloud (And this is the way we are heading).

I actually use two of our five 365 subscriptions with one install on my desktop and the other on my Surface Pro 3, then my wife, one of my daughters and my lad each have an install, works out at about ?18 per install per year, and with the OneDrive and other perks like never being out of date, the full install of Office and more it's become a no brainer for me.

I have the Office mobile version on my HP Stream 7, and of course I have it on my 1520, it works for what it is but it isn't full software, but for a quick edit or starting off a document while you are out and not at your desktop, it does the job.

I don't know what you use keyboard wise on your Surface, I popped into our local Maplin and bought a wireless keyboard and mouse set for ?15 and tend to use that rather than touch if I am doing officy stuff and not at my desktop.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
You can "Rent" 365 for one, it isn't as cost effective as for five people but it's probably still as good as buying Office every couple of years.

You get full Office so Access, Excell, Word, Powerpoint (7 apps I think) they stay up to date and you then get the massive amount of OneDrive.

I think the single machine install is ?5.99 per month compared to the 5 device install at ?7.99 per month.

I have no idea how much full Office is now, but let me guess at (OK just looked it up and it's more than I thought) at ?389 for the Pro version which is what you get with 365.

You sure you haven't got any very good friends you could call "Family" :smile:

Last edited:

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
So I a ran a test run of every variation possible, an decided to share back to this thread.
Office 2013, since I own it.
Office 365, provided by Microsoft for one month trial. In other words it's basically office 2013, but in a subscription/rental model....which I never knew. But does receive the free upgrade to office 2016.
Office 2016 preview. Basically 2013 but improved, still a desktop version, where it lacks in being touch centric, but a more powerful tool.
Office mobile, which requires office 365 subscription in my case of a surface pro 3. Perfect for the touch centric user and basic creation (which is me).
Though do I wanna pay for a yearly service for a tool i rarely use, naw. I'll just office online for those small creations and use office mobile for viewing.
Though I'll still have an interest in OneNote 2016, if that will require a purchase. Still need to look into that.
So far thats my round up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss