Surface 2 Excitement Party!!!

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All

Well I'm super excited for this new generation of Surface!!!

The SURFACE 2 looks great, more power, better screen, just looks good and has that sexiness to it!

So let begin this EXCITEMENT PARTY!

So let begin the discussion what the most best part of the surface 2?!

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm also very excited. They made quite a few substantial improvements. One of the improvements I want to see, is the refined kick stand and if it makes it more 'lapable'. :D

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If the 256 one was cheaper and if it had a high-res screen I'd be excited. Dedicated switchable graphics card would put me at super excited. Still, I want one.

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I got the Surface RT the day it came out last year from the Microsoft store. When I brought it home, I loved everything about it except for 3 things. I found that I didn't care for the Touch Cover (functionality wise, but as a cover for my screen, it was perfect) and would've liked to have a Type Cover instead. I found that the volume from the speakers was too low. And finally, my main complaint was what most people complained about that had any complaints with it: it was just too slow. I kept the tablet all the way up until the extended date to which you could return it for money back in full (total of about 3 months, I believe) and I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and just wait for optimizations, wait for Microsoft to optimize the tablet for the battery saving core of the Tegra 3 and all that jazz. In the end, I felt that it was obvious that the totality of the picture was always gonna be there for the RT. Maybe it would get there in the next release, but as a product then, it just wasn't cutting it. It was simply hampered by unfortunate spec choices, so I went back to the iPad (this time using my money to get a 4).

Well that maybe seems very much to have been fulfilled. Based on the info currently present about the hardware, plus with RT 8.1 out now and an obviously better supported ecosystem behind it than what was there at launch last year, I can't wait until the device comes out. I'm personally not going to preorder, but I will wait until it comes out and then visit the Microsoft Store nearest me to try it out, sell my iPad to them, and then get it. The changes to Xbox music seem to make that a lot more usable than the mess it was before and I'll finally be able to get to manipulate my Xbox Cloud Collection (which for whatever reason you can't do from Windows Phones, but that's another topic for another day). They gave it the same screen and resolution as the Pro. The updated processor, just from videos that I've seen alone, seem to make the thing fly. The refinements that've made to design impress me, although I'm not sure how I'll take to the fact that it only comes in silver as opposed to the black of the RT, but in the end that's a bit of a minor detail. I love the wider screen for media playback (a.k.a. Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube) and the office integration adds value to it that I just haven't been able to quite get from my iPad. I'm super excited.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This is what got me excited...

- 2x bus speed for WiFi and memory
- 3x faster (from Surface RT)
- 72 cores GPU
- 1080p
- 3-pc magnesium (i hope i don't corrode this one!)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm excited for this new Surface. It'll just improve the experience that I already have with my Surface RT.

I don't think that it's going to attract huge sales, I don't think that throwing tons of new accessories at it will also generate huge sales. I'm not even sure if Surface 2 sales will exceed Surface RT sales.

But, I understand what Windows RT delivers and I'm happy to use the tablet for what it is, even if 100% of the tech blogs/websites predict it'll be a flop.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I normally would be excited about this but my enthusiasm is reserved more for the Xbox One. Plus I am happy with my current Surface RT.

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The RT OS is excellent but the speed of the Tegra 3 leaves a lot to be desired. I am going to wait until the Surface 2 is released, try it in a shop and hope the the Tegra 4 can speed up the machine.

I am excited by the fact that the Surface 2 is lighter and thinner than the RT, has better screen resolution and has 200GB of cloud storage for free.

Hopefully, Microsoft will introduce a trade in scheme but I don't see it happening.

Nevica

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The RT OS is excellent but the speed of the Tegra 3 leaves a lot to be desired. I am going to wait until the Surface 2 is released, try it in a shop and hope the the Tegra 4 can speed up the machine.

I am excited by the fact that the Surface 2 is lighter and thinner than the RT, has better screen resolution and has 200GB of cloud storage for free.

Hopefully, Microsoft will introduce a trade in scheme but I don't see it happening.

Nevica

The Surface 2 loads apps and WebPages almost as fast as the Surface pro 2, just a hair behind

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the Surface RT the day it came out last year from the Microsoft store. When I brought it home, I loved everything about it except for 3 things. I found that I didn't care for the Touch Cover (functionality wise, but as a cover for my screen, it was perfect) and would've liked to have a Type Cover instead. I found that the volume from the speakers was too low. And finally, my main complaint was what most people complained about that had any complaints with it: it was just too slow. I kept the tablet all the way up until the extended date to which you could return it for money back in full (total of about 3 months, I believe) and I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and just wait for optimizations, wait for Microsoft to optimize the tablet for the battery saving core of the Tegra 3 and all that jazz. In the end, I felt that it was obvious that the totality of the picture was always gonna be there for the RT. Maybe it would get there in the next release, but as a product then, it just wasn't cutting it. It was simply hampered by unfortunate spec choices, so I went back to the iPad (this time using my money to get a 4).

Well that maybe seems very much to have been fulfilled. Based on the info currently present about the hardware, plus with RT 8.1 out now and an obviously better supported ecosystem behind it than what was there at launch last year, I can't wait until the device comes out. I'm personally not going to preorder, but I will wait until it comes out and then visit the Microsoft Store nearest me to try it out, sell my iPad to them, and then get it. The changes to Xbox music seem to make that a lot more usable than the mess it was before and I'll finally be able to get to manipulate my Xbox Cloud Collection (which for whatever reason you can't do from Windows Phones, but that's another topic for another day). They gave it the same screen and resolution as the Pro. The updated processor, just from videos that I've seen alone, seem to make the thing fly. The refinements that've made to design impress me, although I'm not sure how I'll take to the fact that it only comes in silver as opposed to the black of the RT, but in the end that's a bit of a minor detail. I love the wider screen for media playback (a.k.a. Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube) and the office integration adds value to it that I just haven't been able to quite get from my iPad. I'm super excited.

I can tell you right now that the Surface 2 is runs circles around the RT the tegra 4 loads apps and websites almost as fast as the Surface 2. You will be very happy with what you see, I hope you get one and show it around for people to see how great it truly is :)

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If the 256 one was cheaper and if it had a high-res screen I'd be excited. Dedicated switchable graphics card would put me at super excited. Still, I want one.

You don't consider a 1080p screen on a 11" device to be high end? Especially with the clear type display..

Last edited:

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
For me the fact that it performs better than the first (a major sore spot with a device I otherwise loved) and adds a full HD display and improves lap-usability makes this a must buy for me. It is the true realization of the Surface vision in my eyes

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting extremely excited now just want to see some comparison, benchmarks and a review or two however without all that it looks like an excellent successor!

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I really doubt we're going to see the same kind of problems at once. All the improvements that have been made to Windows RT will be carried over and it sounds like the hardware is being better utilized at launch this time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs