No silverlight? i stick to my ipad

Status
Not open for further replies.

langemyr

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that it can not compete with iPad without Silverlight.
Netflix and viaplay is ok because there is an app for them.
What about cmore.no or canaldigital.no who are big sites in Norway for watching TV.
I still have to use my ipad for these sites, and I have to do that until they make an app for them.
I asked support for these sites and they have no plans for an app..
So RT is useless.
I count 12 things my iPad can do where RT comes short in my daily life because the lack of Silverlight.( ore an app)
If Microsoft want to sell this RT pads they can't expect us to wait years for them to finally make apps.
I think many agree with me.

Langemyr from Norway

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft isn't developing siverlight further from what I understand. Also I am pretty sure your iPad is using HTML5 not Silverlight. Your post reads like trollbait as the RT can do tons more than the iPad, like Office, Outlook, USB port for external HDD etc etc.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you hadn't heard, Silverlight is DEAD.

Where is Surface is a MASSIVE winner over the iPad is that it supports Flash, which gives you access to 99% of web video.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
... so i guess your ipad has Silverlight?
you dont even have a surface, but you are still talking crap?

oh wait... you only have one post, what can i expect from you?.

ipad doesnt even have flash, which is more used than Silverlight... silverlight was used for couple sites and some are or already went to html5 anyway. but wait, surface is useless because you need stupid sites with silverlight while others just need flash to 99,9% of other sites (that need either flash or silverlight)? but you dont complain about ipad not having flash? lol please.
your thread is the trollbait useless one, not the surface RT...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep the troll comments out of the discussion. Dispute all you want about Silverlight, but keep it civil.

[INFO]Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling.

[/INFO]

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Reading the OP, he's bringing up the fact that he's using apps to view content for websites that normally use Silverlight, citing that lack of Silverlight and/or apps is the reason why he doesn't move to Surface.

The argument is valid, if somewhat weak as websites are moving over to HTML5.

This is the OP's first post, so I take it with a pinch of salt.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I think there's room for discussion here though.

Although Silverlight is not the real issue here, it's the lack of native apps for a number of websites and services. To me though, this is not a deterrent. The fact of the matter is that the Surface line offers a great web-browsing experience, especially since you can plug in a mouse and effectively use it just like a laptop. Plus the fact that it supports web standards like HTML 5, WebGL, etc (plus flash) means that the lack of Silverlight means less and less as it gets phased out across the web in favor of more modern solutions.

In other words, if you love the hardware and you think that Microsoft is doing something worth supporting then don't get hung up on the lack of apps, much less Silverlight.

Lord Went

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
MS was stupid and greedy to drop silverlight. I hope the new CEO fixes this. And there are installation hassles.
the Wndows store store is not as powerful and has censorship, and didnt sell many RT tablets. However the ipad does not support silverlight either, only OSx does last i checked.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't see a reason to keep this thread open. Windows 8 tablets are widely available with more on the way, all offering Silverlight. Sounds like the OP is more interested in bashing the Surface than buying the right product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle