Amazon Immediately Steals Surface 2 Thunder

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I think Amazon's announcement today shows just how steep of a hill Microsoft has to climb in winning people over to the Surface. The Kindle Fire seems to have finally caught up to the rest of the world, at least spec wise, and fairly or unfairly, Amazon is going to get way more press from their announcement than Microsoft received with theirs. Add to that the cheaper price and I think the Surface 2 may have a tough go going into the holiday season.

P.S. I'm really only comparing the Surface 2 here, not Surface Pro 2 (or whatever it's officially called). It's really its own thing.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't see anything overly impressive about a 8.9" device with 16GB of storage for $379 with a variation of android as the OS. I can get so much more for $70 more on Surface 2.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't see anything overly impressive about a 8.9" device with 16GB of storage for $379 with a variation of android as the OS. I can get so much more for $70 more on Surface 2.

My standard response for all competing products now is "Can it play Halo?"

Not interested until someone says yes.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
These products are for two different types of users. Productivity Vs. Consumption.
I would actually argue that this is trying to hit the same market as the iPad. Surface is not one or the other, but a bit of both. It is light, portable, has good battery life, etc, so it is a capable consumption device, but it then also doubles up as a light productivity solution, which really is all most people need. So it is an iPad competitor that wants to end up being the only machine most people need, and also a bit of a Trojan horse for Microsoft's services as well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Does Surface 2 have an Amazon Prime app?

I could see a lot of people who subscribe to Amazon Prime wanting a device where they can stream their Amazon Prime content.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Could this be why we didn't hear about the 8" Surface? Waiting to see where the Amazon price point lands and then price accordingly. I realize a mini-Surface won't be as cheap as a Kindle Fire because it is subsidized but maybe they wanted to try and be competitive.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

I could see a lot of people who subscribe to Amazon Prime wanting a device where they can stream their Amazon Prime content.

There is no app at present. But you can watch Amazon Prime instant video on a Surface if you've done the Flash for ARM update. So they can see their movies and still get more with Surface.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I can play Amazon Prime videos in IE 11 (metro). I assume it should work on a Surface 2 as well?

I used to have a Kindle Fire HD. It was a piece of junk because without access to Google Play, many apps were nowhere to be found and often times in the Amazon store they were outdated. Plus there were no docks available for it and while it could sit in a case with a stand, it was landscape only and many apps would only display in portrait orientation. I finally got fed up with it and sold it on eBay.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is no app at present. But you can watch Amazon Prime instant video on a Surface if you've done the Flash for ARM update. So they can see their movies and still get more with Surface.
How about Amazon Cloud Music Player? Will that work on Surface?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I can play Amazon Prime videos in IE 11 (metro). I assume it should work on a Surface 2 as well?

I used to have a Kindle Fire HD. It was a piece of junk because without access to Google Play, many apps were nowhere to be found and often times in the Amazon store they were outdated. Plus there were no docks available for it and while it could sit in a case with a stand, it was landscape only and many apps would only display in portrait orientation. I finally got fed up with it and sold it on eBay.
I still have my Kindle Fire HD. After rooting it and installing Google Play, I find it to be a high quality Android tablet. Screen quality and performance are far better than my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and on par if not better than the Nexus 7 (1st gen). But I realize that not everyone can do that.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe you also can download Prime videos for offline viewing now.

Unless something has changed, that ability is extremely limited. I have also found the Amazon Unbox app for
Windows 8 to be barely functional. Throw in the fact that it only works for purchased videos, not rentals, and that makes it even less useful.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Me too, but Microsoft is still going to have a hard time convincing people they need this over the many other tablets out there, especially with the negative image Windows 8 has

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99