Buy Surface 2 or a new Windows Phone 8.1?

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the 1st gen Surface RT and really like it, however, the improvements on the Surface 2 are tempting. I also have a Nokia Lumia 920 and also like it a lot. I have limited money, so I need help with this decision:
  • Buy Surface 2 (RT) and keep Nokia 920
  • Buy a new WP 8.1 (will probably release in early 2014) and wait for Surface 3

What would you do and why?

P.S. - Obviously, we don't know what WP 8.1 will bring, but I expect it to be pretty amazing.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It's not like you 920 isn't going to get updated to Windows Phone 8.1

So the real question is which device do you feel that you'd benefit most by updating? Because in either case all you're getting is a hardware update as both would have software that will be available for your existing devices.

That said, as an owner of a Lumia 1020 (and a half-broken 920) as well as a Surface RT, I can definitely say that the Surface 2 is more appealing, simply because it corrects the things that I disliked about the original. My Windows Phone on the other hand really works perfectly fine and I'll still get the full benefit of Windows Phone 8.1 whenever that comes.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, basically my Lumia 920 had slowly been falling to pieces from being dropped a number of times. The call microphone wasn't working properly, the magnetometer was broken, the battery had come loose and was rattling around inside the phone... and then one day the screen decided to break, while it was sitting in my pocket no less. I contemplated replacing it as a replair at this point would hardly have been worth it, but I decided I might as well just drop the extra cash on a 1020, which I really wanted anyway.

The Lumia 920 is still a great phone with a great camera though. And internally it's essentially the same as a 1020, so you definitely shouldn't get down on yourself for 'only' having a 920.

Now my 920 has gone to my younger brother and he loves it despite it being mostly broken. It still works for Skype, browsing the web and playing a few games and that's all he cares about.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not like you 920 isn't going to get updated to Windows Phone 8.1

So the real question is which device do you feel that you'd benefit most by updating? Because in either case all you're getting is a hardware update as both would have software that will be available for your existing devices.

That said, as an owner of a Lumia 1020 (and a half-broken 920) as well as a Surface RT, I can definitely say that the Surface 2 is more appealing, simply because it corrects the things that I disliked about the original. My Windows Phone on the other hand really works perfectly fine and I'll still get the full benefit of Windows Phone 8.1 whenever that comes.

Very well elaborated answer. Thanks! In all honesty, I don't NEED to upgrade either my Surface RT nor 920, I just can because I have a little spare money to. I think I will go with the Surface 2 since my 920 is still working fine. I hope I will be able to get the 10% student discount though. Also, I have this weird gut feeling that the Surface 3 will be a mind blowing upgrade and have much more innovations; the Surface 2 was mostly catch up - but oh well.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I would go with next gen Windows Phone, just because of performance upgrade. We all know the OS is super smooth but with next gen hardware like Snapdragon 800 processor Windows Phone 8.1 gonna soo good. you know sometime i really annoyed by slow loading time like when open the Nokia Pro Cam, and other heavy app.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Surface seems like a more worthy upgrade. While AT&T will make sure you suffer for as long as possible, you will eventually get Windows Phone 8.1, and any devices launching with it likely aren't going to way too astoundingly new.

I'd recommend upgrading your Surface, you'll get a lot more out of it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Unlike the original Surface RT, the Surface 2 isn't launching with year old tech. The Tegra 3 was first released in Nov. 2011 and it was great tech for the time.

Unfortunately, by the time the Surface RT dropped in late 2012, the T3 was already a year old and better SOCs were already on the market. Plus the T3 in the original Surface is actually under clocked, further hampering performance.

But as I sit here, with my Surface outputting 1080p to my external monitor, with Word open, several tabs in IE open and uploading files to SkyDrive, I personally believe that the T3 gets a bad rap. The T3 is a beast in terms of raw processing power and it’s capable of a lot.

But the tech world has moved on.

There’s a thing console gamers say called “lowest common denominator.” It basically means that when developers are creating multiplatform games they start with the weakest system and scale up (or make an identical port which is often what happens). Reason being, it’s easier to scale up then it is to scale back then.

I’m mentioning this because the Tegra 3 isn’t the lowest common denominator anymore. Developers are taking advantage of these newer chips and have been doing so for quite some time now. They don’t want to be bogged down by 2011 SOCs. Sure, the Tegra 3 will allow you to play any game on the market. However, I’ve been playing Asphalt 7 and I can clearly see Tegra 3’s age. The frame rate is serviceable but it could be a lot better.

Now that the Tegra 4, Snapdragon 800, A7 and Exynos chips are about to flood the market, devs won’t be thinking of the Tegra 3. Games will play on the Tegra 3 but they’re going to play much better on the Tegra 4. Of course, the same applies for all apps, not just games. Games are just an obvious example.

The Tegra 3 had a good two year run but it’s still 2011 tech. The Tegra 4 is 2013 tech, it’s a significant improvement over the T3 and I’m guessing that if you get a Surface 2 now, you won’t feel the need to upgrade again in 2014. Chances are, you’re going to get another solid 2 years out of the Surface 2. And let’s not forget about the RAM upgrade because that too is significant.

You can spend the next year running apps with ease on the Tegra 4 or continue to be hampered by the extremely outdated Tegra 3.

If you’re happy with the speed of the current Surface RT, that’s fine. And if you haven’t tried RT 8.1 then you’re in for a huge surprise because so much is improved. Still, if you’re worried about longevity then you’re better off with a Surface 2.

With regards to Windows Phone 8.1, it’s hard to say because no one knows the hardware specs of these next gen Windows Phone devices. It’s all conjuncture at this point.

However, unlike Android phones, the hardware in Windows Phone is tightly controlled. The hardware fragmentation isn’t as bad as Android. The SOC in the Lumia 920 may be old but I think devs will still consider that a “lowest common denominator” situation. Meaning that apps will load absolutely fine on a Lumia 920 but they might load a few seconds faster on next gen 8.1 devices.

TL;DR
It’s going to be a much much bigger jump going from a T3 to a T4
then from going from a Lumia 920 to a next gen Windows Phone

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
As an owner of the Surface RT and 920, like you, I would upgrade the Surface. The 920 works amazingly well and as others commented, it will get WP 8.1. The Surface is a good device, but it is a little slower than I would like for a tablet and made me envy the Pro. You will appreciate the performance boost of the new tablet.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Unlike the original Surface RT, the Surface 2 isn't launching with year old tech. The Tegra 3 was first released in Nov. 2011 and it was great tech for the time.

Unfortunately, by the time the Surface RT dropped in late 2012, the T3 was already a year old and better SOCs were already on the market. Plus the T3 in the original Surface is actually under clocked, further hampering performance.

But as I sit here, with my Surface outputting 1080p to my external monitor, with Word open, several tabs in IE open and uploading files to SkyDrive, I personally believe that the T3 gets a bad rap. The T3 is a beast in terms of raw processing power and it’s capable of a lot.

But the tech world has moved on.

There’s a thing console gamers say called “lowest common denominator.” It basically means that when developers are creating multiplatform games they start with the weakest system and scale up (or make an identical port which is often what happens). Reason being, it’s easier to scale up then it is to scale back then.

I’m mentioning this because the Tegra 3 isn’t the lowest common denominator anymore. Developers are taking advantage of these newer chips and have been doing so for quite some time now. They don’t want to be bogged down by 2011 SOCs. Sure, the Tegra 3 will allow you to play any game on the market. However, I’ve been playing Asphalt 7 and I can clearly see Tegra 3’s age. The frame rate is serviceable but it could be a lot better.

Now that the Tegra 4, Snapdragon 800, A7 and Exynos chips are about to flood the market, devs won’t be thinking of the Tegra 3. Games will play on the Tegra 3 but they’re going to play much better on the Tegra 4. Of course, the same applies for all apps, not just games. Games are just an obvious example.

The Tegra 3 had a good two year run but it’s still 2011 tech. The Tegra 4 is 2013 tech, it’s a significant improvement over the T3 and I’m guessing that if you get a Surface 2 now, you won’t feel the need to upgrade again in 2014. Chances are, you’re going to get another solid 2 years out of the Surface 2. And let’s not forget about the RAM upgrade because that too is significant.

You can spend the next year running apps with ease on the Tegra 4 or continue to be hampered by the extremely outdated Tegra 3.

If you’re happy with the speed of the current Surface RT, that’s fine. And if you haven’t tried RT 8.1 then you’re in for a huge surprise because so much is improved. Still, if you’re worried about longevity then you’re better off with a Surface 2.

With regards to Windows Phone 8.1, it’s hard to say because no one knows the hardware specs of these next gen Windows Phone devices. It’s all conjuncture at this point.

However, unlike Android phones, the hardware in Windows Phone is tightly controlled. The hardware fragmentation isn’t as bad as Android. The SOC in the Lumia 920 may be old but I think devs will still consider that a “lowest common denominator” situation. Meaning that apps will load absolutely fine on a Lumia 920 but they might load a few seconds faster on next gen 8.1 devices.

TL;DR
It’s going to be a much much bigger jump going from a T3 to a T4
then from going from a Lumia 920 to a next gen Windows Phone

Thanks! Also, I just watched this ad for the Surface 2 and the silver body with a black touch cover with backlit just looks freakin slick!! Surface 2: Thinner. Lighter. Faster. - YouTube

So I think I've decided I will get the Surface 2 and use the 920 for another year. I really wish Google made a Chrome app for RT cause I really want to use Chrome on the Surface 2. Also wish Gmail worked better on the RT cause at the moment it forces me to refresh for every click I make....Btw, I am using Windows 8.1 RT preview on my Surface at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)