Best Keynote Lines from Panos

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I could pick out certain lines. I liked his tone during the presentation, it came across quite honest.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
"Sometimes, subtlety can be the most impactful force."

I want that on a T-Shirt, with a nice big Windows logo on the back with "Surface" written underneath. I'm actually considering customer ordering it. Too bad all my cash is being devoted towards my upcoming Pro 2 :p

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The man has great vision...it's just too bad that the world around him (of tech journalism) is unable to comprehend it...at least until Apple apes his work.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The man has great vision...it's just too bad that the world around him (of tech journalism) is unable to comprehend it...at least until Apple apes his work.

Yeah, his presentation reminded me of Jobs in many ways. I don't know how to describe it, but watching him, I felt the same way I felt watching Jobs present stuff. I felt comfortable, like you would have no problem inviting this man into your home. And it didn't feel like someone trying to sell you something, bur someone who was genuinely seeking to make your life better.

The validity of such statements is not the subject of debate here, bur rather, he seems to have found that magical trait Steve Jobs always had. Granted, I think Steve still did a better job (no pun intended), but still, Panos comes close. Here's this guy who I hadn't even heard of a matter of weeks ago, and just because of this one event, he's one of my favorite people in the tech world. Now that's an impactful presentation.

I hope we can come to expect great things from this man, and I look forward to meeting him at my local MS Store.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, his presentation reminded me of Jobs in many ways. I don't know how to describe it, but watching him, I felt the same way I felt watching Jobs present stuff. I felt comfortable, like you would have no problem inviting this man into your home. And it didn't feel like someone trying to sell you something, bur someone who was genuinely seeking to make your life better.

The validity of such statements is not the subject of debate here, bur rather, he seems to have found that magical trait Steve Jobs always had. Granted, I think Steve still did a better job (no pun intended), but still, Panos comes close. Here's this guy who I hadn't even heard of a matter of weeks ago, and just because of this one event, he's one of my favorite people in the tech world. Now that's an impactful presentation.

I hope we can come to expect great things from this man, and I look forward to meeting him at my local MS Store.
I must've seen a different presentation than you guys did. This guy simply droned on and on. Almost sounding shrill as he attempted to describe the impact of what he was saying to a dead audience. I didn't see it as an "impactful presentation". The pacing was glacially slow with very little use of multimedia where it would've been appropriate to demonstrate what he was actually talking about.

There were times where it was clear applause was anticipated and expected... it was painful to hear the 5 Microsoft guys clap and cheer in an otherwise dead space. Have thunderous applause, or none at all.

Why didn't he have a Surface 2 side-by-side a Surface RT running the same tasks to demonstrate the performance improvement, comparative photos on the screen to show the improved resolution?

"46% improvement in color accuracy" is something he repeated a few times but never once showing the audience what that translates into actual usage.

The presentation was one marketing hyperbolic phrase after another and for anyone who has been around the block, that's a snooze fest. I was not impressed.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I must've seen a different presentation than you guys did. This guy simply droned on and on. Almost sounding shrill as he attempted to describe the impact of what he was saying to a dead audience. I didn't see it as an "impactful presentation". The pacing was glacially slow with very little use of multimedia where it would've been appropriate to demonstrate what he was actually talking about.

There were times where it was clear applause was anticipated and expected... it was painful to hear the 5 Microsoft guys clap and cheer in an otherwise dead space. Have thunderous applause, or none at all.

Why didn't he have a Surface 2 side-by-side a Surface RT running the same tasks to demonstrate the performance improvement, comparative photos on the screen to show the improved resolution?

"46% improvement in color accuracy" is something he repeated a few times but never once showing the audience what that translates into actual usage.

The presentation was one marketing hyperbolic phrase after another and for anyone who has been around the block, that's a snooze fest. I was not impressed.

Good and fair points, perhaps I'm letting my love of the Surface blind me. Not to mention, I watched it at 2 in the morning and was dead beat tired.

Maybe I'll give it another go. However, in some aspects, I still feel his calm demeanor was reminiscent of Jobs, even if Panos couldn't generate the same giddy Jobs could.

But yeah, I'll rewatch some parts, give a reevaluation. I will admit some of the forced applause (or lack of it altogether), was rather painful. And that Surface 2 video was rather dull.

We'll see what I think the second time 'round, but I still want that subtlety t-shirt.

EDIT: But you must admit the Red Dragon raw video demonstration was rather impressive.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Good and fair points, perhaps I'm letting my love of the Surface blind me. Not to mention, I watched it at 2 in the morning and was dead beat tired.

Maybe I'll give it another go. However, in some aspects, I still feel his calm demeanor was reminiscent of Jobs, even if Panos couldn't generate the same giddy Jobs could.

But yeah, I'll rewatch some parts, give a reevaluation. I will admit some of the forced applause (or lack of it altogether), was rather painful. And that Surface 2 video was rather dull.

We'll see what I think the second time 'round, but I still want that subtlety t-shirt.

EDIT: But you must admit the Red Dragon raw video demonstration was rather impressive.
Yes, the RED raw video demo was impressive. I had to temper my personal enthusiasm for the Surface RT as I was watching it. With 30+ years in the business I know how gadget lust can color my view of things.

I guess I came away frustrated from that video because the press has railroaded Microsoft with regard to Surface RT (which I only really discovered once I had my own RT in my hands to tinker around with) and this press announcement would've been the time to hold their hands (and hold their feet to the fire) by showing not only what the RT can do, but how much better the Surface 2 can do those things.

In my opinion, Sean Ong's "Why I love the Surface RT" video on YouTube was far more effective and impacting than anything I saw in that MS video.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the RED raw video demo was impressive. I had to temper my personal enthusiasm for the Surface RT as I was watching it. With 30+ years in the business I know how gadget lust can color my view of things.

I guess I came away frustrated from that video because the press has railroaded Microsoft with regard to Surface RT (which I only really discovered once I had my own RT in my hands to tinker around with) and this press announcement would've been the time to hold their hands (and hold their feet to the fire) by showing not only what the RT can do, but how much better the Surface 2 can do those things.

In my opinion, Sean Ong's "Why I love the Surface RT" video on YouTube was far more effective and impacting than anything I saw in that MS video.

Very valid points again. I only watched that video after the announced the new line-up was announced and I settled upon a Surface Pro 2, but despite me thinking I already knew what there was to know about the Surface RT, that video totally blew my mind, and it's incredible to think how the Surface 2 will only do it better.

I was personally impressed with them using all Microsoft Office apps and Halo side by side. As Panos said, that's an unrealistic scenario, more power than you could possibly need, yet it's there, available to you.

On the bright side, the new Surface ads are much better. Oh, and in an unrelated note, I'm baffled as to why they didn't include the improved cameras in the Pro. The Pro is supposed to be top of the line, why can't it have decent cameras, which are included in the more budget friendly model? Also would've been nice to get the Pro in the new magnesium color (as an extra option). I love the way the new color looks, and it stands out from the rest. I can settle for black, but magnesium would've been wonderful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos