Surface RT/2 Performance Comparison

katakulli

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
we heard a lot of previews about surface 2 and how fast the tegra 4 is but for all of us to get a feeling, the ones who have access to the device could just collect and compare these results in this thread.
Especially comparisons with older Surface models would be great (like Surface RT, Pro)..

I thought more of comparing real world usages e.g. app-loading times, boot-up, copying files, multitasking, battery rundowns, ...

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Surface 2 - benchmarks & comparisons

Perhaps I'll go to the Microsoft Store at the Mall of America on Sunday and do some comparisons against my RT. But I dunno if that's worth driving 20 miles for... I guess I am personally quite curious though.

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

The Surface 2's available for demoing?

Yes, I was in a Mall in CT today and they had a few of them out on the tables to use. My brother came with me. He has a Surface RT. We plopped down his RT next to a Surface -- and WOW! what a difference! He put in a pre-order right at the store before we left. My mom will be the beneficiary of the older RT.

As far as the Surface Pro 2, I can see running Visual Studio, Photoshop and Lightroom on it with zero problems. The store employee noted that 128gig will be easy to find, the 256gig a little harder and the 512gig versions impossible unless you pre-order. I was going to purchase a new laptop but I am sure now that I rather have the surface because it is more mobile and that is what I want.

I popped in a USB with some photos that render color samples and the Surface Pro most definitely has better colors. Since I cannot calibrate one with X-Rite or Spyder I have no idea how much of the sRGB or aRGB space it can handle but there was noticeable differences with test targets.

Microsoft did a truly excellent job.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I was in a Mall in CT today and they had a few of them out on the tables to use. My brother came with me. He has a Surface RT. We plopped down his RT next to a Surface -- and WOW! what a difference! He put in a pre-order right at the store before we left. My mom will be the beneficiary of the older RT.

As far as the Surface Pro 2, I can see running Visual Studio, Photoshop and Lightroom on it with zero problems. The store employee noted that 128gig will be easy to find, the 256gig a little harder and the 512gig versions impossible unless you pre-order. I was going to purchase a new laptop but I am sure now that I rather have the surface because it is more mobile and that is what I want.

I popped in a USB with some photos that render color samples and the Surface Pro most definitely has better colors. Since I cannot calibrate one with X-Rite or Spyder I have no idea how much of the sRGB or aRGB space it can handle but there was noticeable differences with test targets.

Microsoft did a truly excellent job.

Did you test out the dual kickstand? That's the one thing that's really keeping me from preordering because I'm not sure how well it holds in place.

Does the kickstand keep sturdy in the same place or does it just move easily?

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
eMCsbCT.png

vyOmKSK.png

Surface RT/2 Benchmark thanks (nuprotocol)

Last edited:

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, this is wonderful to have and I think if I hadn't been impulsive and taken the dive already this would have sold me on it. Maybe this thread should get stickied though

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well it certainly is about as flexible of a device as you can get in terms of hardware design, and now it's backed by a SOC that can deliver a fast and smooth experience. I'd say that's a definite win for anyone wanting a tablet that can double as a backup PC/traveling companion

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Did you test out the dual kickstand? That's the one thing that's really keeping me from preordering because I'm not sure how well it holds in place.

Does the kickstand keep sturdy in the same place or does it just move easily?

the kickstand is very stable in both positions, its got enough resistance in both positions that it doesn't move with normal force. Basically don't let the kickstand get in your way of buying the 2, its definitely an upgrade and the second position is fantastic.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

As far as the Surface Pro 2, I can see running Visual Studio, Photoshop and Lightroom on it with zero problems. The store employee noted that 128gig will be easy to find, the 256gig a little harder and the 512gig versions impossible unless you pre-order.

I can't help wondering if that guy is a little full of it. The only reason the 512-GB model would be hard to find is if few are made. It's $1,800 for that model, so it's not something I would expect many to want to throw money at. I'd preferentially get a thin external HDD and the 128-GB model (MAYBE the 256-GB one). The RAM shouldn't be a big need for many users (who can survive on 4 GB just fine), and the 256 GB extra on the SSD isn't worth the $500 for me (but that's me).

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I was planning on buying a surface RT, but what I'm hearing on WP and the price I'm seeing I think I will wait for the surface 2. You guys have convinced me!

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Man... I wanted to buy a Surface RT...and was hoping the 1 gen becoming cheaper after the Surface 2 release...but somehow I'm not quite sure any more if I should buy the first Surface or the second gen... I guess Im gonna wait for the second gen...

One question though:
The first gen Surface RT dit not have the right display for the Pro Pen stylus[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. What about the Surface 2 display? Will it be the same? (So only the Pro 1 + 2 will work with the pen?)

Thanks in advance!
[/FONT]

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Man... I wanted to buy a Surface RT...and was hoping the 1 gen becoming cheaper after the Surface 2 release...but somehow I'm not quite sure any more if I should buy the first Surface or the second gen... I guess Im gonna wait for the second gen...

One question though:
The first gen Surface RT dit not have the right display for the Pro Pen stylus[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. What about the Surface 2 display? Will it be the same? (So only the Pro 1 + 2 will work with the pen?)

Thanks in advance!
[/FONT]

The first generation surface rt is very slow.... A Nexus 10 is a much better purchase for consumer purposes, or productivity then get the asus t100. It's also 350 but triple the power and supports legacy applications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
thx for your reply, coolqf, but I don't think that is an option for me ;) I really want a RT device (because of the battery power and no need for "full" windows 8 on my tablet). Would love to have a surface and had a few chances to try the first gen device. It was fast enough for me... But if it is not getting any cheaper, I am goingt to buy the second gen Surface...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss