Surface RT/2 Performance Comparison

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
The first generation surface rt is very slow.... A Nexus 10 is a much better purchase for consumer purposes, or productivity then get the asus t100. It's also 350 but triple the power and supports legacy applications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I don't think Bay Trail is triple the power.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Man... I wanted to buy a Surface RT...and was hoping the 1 gen becoming cheaper after the Surface 2 release...but somehow I'm not quite sure any more if I should buy the first Surface or the second gen... I guess Im gonna wait for the second gen...

One question though:
The first gen Surface RT dit not have the right display for the Pro Pen stylus[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. What about the Surface 2 display? Will it be the same? (So only the Pro 1 + 2 will work with the pen?)

Thanks in advance!
[/FONT]
The pro pen has nothing to do with the display itself, it's the Wacom digitizer underneath in the Surface Pro

So in other words, even though the displays are now identical the digitizer is sadly absent

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Surface 2 - benchmarks & comparisons

The only reason the 512-GB model would be hard to find is if few are made.
Isn't it plainly obvious that this is what the store employee is eluding to? The stores aren't going to receive much (if any) 512GB stock because people won't be buying them. If you want one, you should pre-order online.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Surface 2 - benchmarks & comparisons

Isn't it plainly obvious that this is what the store employee is eluding to? The stores aren't going to receive much (if any) 512GB stock because people won't be buying them. If you want one, you should pre-order online.

What I'm alluding to is that a pre-order isn't necessary because people aren't going to buy the things. Odds are, you'll have to specially order them online regardless, so pre-ordering it doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm inclined to believe it, considering the new manufacturing processes being used here. Making the transistors both notably smaller and more efficient is going to mean that they can pack a lot more of them onto the die. That said, I really am no expert on this sort of thing, but the logic of it seems sound.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if the new color isn't too flashy? It looks white and it could get dirty easily. it looks like an ipad as well. hate the look. I wish it was black. damnit.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I had to bing "magnesium color" for a minute. it looks silverfish/gray. im going to a Microsoft store today and test it out.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Look at the other thread here comparing the surface rt to the surface 2. The difference, after you take everything into account is over a double improvement. I mean everything, even look at ram speed, etc.

Here's some specs showing the new bay trail in action.

Intel Bay Trail: Chipmaker doubles tablet performance as it takes fight to ARM | ZDNet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I honestly will stick with ARM, Bay Trail is nice and all...But i wouldnt want to run full x86 programs with it.

Last edited:

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
surface 2 hardware looks really bad compared to RT. don't get me started with the color. it looks scratchable.
the kickstand is really soft like it could bend easily. But the overall hardware look of 2 looks cheap. And it doesn't feel premium.
The Surface name also looked really tacky.

the only good thing is the touchcover 2. its sensors picked up the slightest drop of my finger. i'm using rt right now and I have to press down hard enough to get the keys to work. its good enough to work better than the type cover 2. I just wish they came out with more colors.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd think it would be less scratch-able if anything. It's the same material the first one was made of, just without the paint. On my RT all of the scratches expose the metal underneath.

I'll have to go give it a look myself sometime soon though.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
one good thing about it is that it will hide your oily finger prints. my hands gets pretty oily and sweaty. I cant wait!!

im more excited about the keyboard. I need to sell this RT soon. Theyre still going for 250+ on ebay.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I honest will stick with ARM, Bay Trail is nice and all...But i wouldnt want to run full x86 programs with it.

Exactly. This is what happened with Clover Trail. Intel hyped up it's ability to perform on par with ARM while still being power efficient. While Clover Trail-powered tablets were indeed almost as power efficient as the Surface RT the desktop performance was dreadful. I've seen a lot of benchmarks comparing Bay Trail to Clover Trail, and how much faster it performs etc. but if the Desktop is still as unusable then what's the point?

one good thing about it is that it will hide your oily finger prints. my hands gets pretty oily and sweaty. I cant wait!!

As much as I like the dark titanium of my Surface RT, it gets covered in fingerprints every time I use it, which is why I'm looking forward to the natural silver colour.

Last edited:

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
surface 2 hardware looks really bad compared to RT. don't get me started with the color. it looks scratchable.
the kickstand is really soft like it could bend easily. But the overall hardware look of 2 looks cheap. And it doesn't feel premium.
The Surface name also looked really tacky.

the only good thing is the touchcover 2. its sensors picked up the slightest drop of my finger. i'm using rt right now and I have to press down hard enough to get the keys to work. its good enough to work better than the type cover 2. I just wish they came out with more colors.

Then dont buy one? lol

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. This is what happened with Clover Trail. Intel hyped up it's ability to perform on par with ARM while still being power efficient. While Clover Trailed powered tablets were indeed almost as power efficient as the Surface RT the desktop performance was dreadful. I've seen a lot of benchmarks comparing Bay Trail to Clover Trail, and how much faster it performs etc. but if the Desktop is still as unusable then what's the point?

As much as I like the dark titanium of my Surface RT, it gets covered in fingerprints every time I use it, which is why I'm looking forward to the natural silver colour.

Wow at least one person gets me lol....People keep complaining about omg Bay Trail yay, but i can guarantee you that running legacy apps on that thing will be painful and not worth it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow at least one person gets me lol....People keep complaining about omg Bay Trail yay, but i can guarantee you that running legacy apps on that thing will be painful and not worth it.

That's what YOU say, though. I'd take less-than-ideal x86 support over none at all. It's not like we're talking about a meaningful tradeoff with the Bay Trail devices, either. They get comparable battery life, and they hit a similar price point, while including all of the software features that a Surface RT comes with. We ARE talking about a theoretical doubling of CPU performance from Clover Trail to Bay Trail. I'd imagine that it would therefore be close to (if not above) the i3 laptop CPU my brother-in-law got a couple of years ago, and it runs fine. The ONLY concern I have with an x86 machine is storage, as Windows 8 will likely involve a much-bigger install than RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon