Surface RT/2 Performance Comparison

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
IE 11 is definitely better than IE10 on Surface RT. There used to be some places I flat out couldn't visit or it would lock up the the browser completely

However it is still slow and doesn't load in much beyond what's immediately visible on the page.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
IE 11 is definitely better than IE10 on Surface RT. There used to be some places I flat out couldn't visit or it would lock up the the browser completely

However it is still slow and doesn't load in much beyond what's immediately visible on the page.

That is my experience as well. Gmail and Google Apps would crash or lock up IE10, IE11 handles it better but if I open too many tabs it'll crash.

New drivers will soon be released by NVidia for the tegra 3 in the RT it is still under development in the beta process so expect surface speeds to increase once the new driver is released .. Please read this forum. http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi.../225788-can-surface-rt-go-faster-updates.html

I don't really have much faith in newer drivers to fix all the performance issues. They will probably help smooth things out a bit but not much else. Unfortunately though nowhere does it say that the new drivers will be released soon, all we have to go on is the note on the website about the RT support still being under development. In all honesty Microsoft should have gone with Qualcomm with the Surface RT.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
As I've mentioned before, I was quite pleased with the performance bump going from 8.0 to 8.1 RTM.

But this talk of potentially even better performance had me digging around. I then applied the following 3 tweak and the performance is significantly improved even above the bump provided by 8.1. I take no credit for these tweaks, nor do I take any blame. They're not exhaustive instructions... if you are unable to "fill in the blanks" on how to do it, then you probably shouldn't attempt it.

Reduce Touchscreen lag

1. Press Windows-R, and type: regedit
  2. In the registry editor locate: ?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? SOFTWARE/Microsoft/TouchPrediction
  3. Double click on ?Latency? and change the Value Data from 8 to 2.
  4. Double click on ?Sample Time? and change that Value Data from 8 to 2.

Disable SuperFetch

1. Press Windows-R, and type: services.msc
  2. In the Services panel, locate "Superfetch" and change it from "Automatic" to "Disable"

Disable PreFetch

2. In the registry editor locate: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
  3. Double click on ?Enable Prefetcher? and change the Value Data from 3 to 0.

Reboot the system

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it disables "search" features as well as reduces touch screen "hyper" sensitivity as you reduce processing time to allow the CPU to "zero in" or your fingers..

At least that's what I got from it. But I have a W7 machine.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
As I've mentioned before, I was quite pleased with the performance bump going from 8.0 to 8.1 RTM.

But this talk of potentially even better performance had me digging around. I then applied the following 3 tweak and the performance is significantly improved even above the bump provided by 8.1. I take no credit for these tweaks, nor do I take any blame. They're not exhaustive instructions... if you are unable to "fill in the blanks" on how to do it, then you probably shouldn't attempt it.

Reduce Touchscreen lag

2. In the registry editor locate: ?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? SOFTWARE/Microsoft/TouchPrediction

Disable SuperFetch

2. In the Services panel, locate "Superfetch" and change it from "Automatic" to "Disable"

Disable PreFetch

2. In the registry editor locate: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Reboot the system

This was in a post about Surface RT vs. Surface 2 re: performance tweaks. Maybe playing with the latency setting can help hone the stylus in. Couldn't hurt to try.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Reduce Touchscreen lag

Disable SuperFetch

Disable PreFetch

Reboot the system

This was in a post re: Surface RT vs. Surface 2. This is about performance tweeks. Perhaps fiddling with the latency setting can help hone that stylus in. Couldn't hurt. Just remember where you started..

8)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Here's a quick video that I took of my tweaked RT. In the background is the video of the Surface 2 performance that was posted earlier in this thread.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Got the RT been playing with it, did some of the tweeks some suggested absolutely no lag, idk what people were complaining about, a few bugs here n there that'll probably be fixed by the time 8.1 comes in, other than that I'm loving this!

Last edited:

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I had already tried the screen lag modification and it works better after I made changes (that's when I had my RT still). As far as Prefetch and SuperFetch goes, I wonder if it introduces side effects, bad ones. The two deal with learning your routine habits in launching apps and automatically load them in RAM so they are there to load up faster when you need them. In theory it should help, but now people are reporting disabling them boosts performance. I am interested to see how you guys feel after a week of using your RT with these mods. Good luck

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been using those tweaks for several months now. At the time I would say my RT definitely felt faster. However, I've been using the tweaks for so long that I can't even remember what performance was like before them. :grin:

Aaron Jones3

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
For anyone who's interested, i applied these same mods to my Surface 2 and it is indeed even faster. Beats both surfaces in the video and that's going off my delayed reaction time and from the second user in the video - so its even more amplified.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this has been posted yet

[video=youtube;NbAbTiGsJZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NbAbTiGsJZ8[/video]

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyone run 3dmark ice storm on their Surface RT and Surface 2 yet? I'd like to see how they compare with the competition. Seems like ipad air with A7 gets 14,000, Tegra 4 android devices get 15,000, and snapdragon 800 devices get 17,000

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Haven't gotten a chance to watch yet.

[video=youtube;L80nEEUG_Po]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L80nEEUG_Po[/video]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans