02-16-2014 12:55 AM
91 123 ...
tools
    we heard a lot of previews about surface 2 and how fast the tegra 4 is but for all of us to get a feeling, the ones who have access to the device could just collect and compare these results in this thread.
    Especially comparisons with older Surface models would be great (like Surface RT, Pro)..

I thought more of comparing real world usages e.g. app-loading times, boot-up, copying files, multitasking, battery rundowns, ...
    nakialj likes this.
    09-27-2013 06:45 AM
    Perhaps I'll go to the Microsoft Store at the Mall of America on Sunday and do some comparisons against my RT. But I dunno if that's worth driving 20 miles for... I guess I am personally quite curious though.
    09-27-2013 09:04 AM
    The Surface 2's available for demoing?
    09-27-2013 01:06 PM
    Yes, I was in a Mall in CT today and they had a few of them out on the tables to use. My brother came with me. He has a Surface RT. We plopped down his RT next to a Surface -- and WOW! what a difference! He put in a pre-order right at the store before we left. My mom will be the beneficiary of the older RT.

As far as the Surface Pro 2, I can see running Visual Studio, Photoshop and Lightroom on it with zero problems. The store employee noted that 128gig will be easy to find, the 256gig a little harder and the 512gig versions impossible unless you pre-order. I was going to purchase a new laptop but I am sure now that I rather have the surface because it is more mobile and that is what I want.

I popped in a USB with some photos that render color samples and the Surface Pro most definitely has better colors. Since I cannot calibrate one with X-Rite or Spyder I have no idea how much of the sRGB or aRGB space it can handle but there was noticeable differences with test targets.

Microsoft did a truly excellent job.
    Prabaharan D, fpostrow and Hoekie like this.
    09-27-2013 08:47 PM
    Yes, I was in a Mall in CT today and they had a few of them out on the tables to use. My brother came with me. He has a Surface RT. We plopped down his RT next to a Surface -- and WOW! what a difference! He put in a pre-order right at the store before we left. My mom will be the beneficiary of the older RT.

As far as the Surface Pro 2, I can see running Visual Studio, Photoshop and Lightroom on it with zero problems. The store employee noted that 128gig will be easy to find, the 256gig a little harder and the 512gig versions impossible unless you pre-order. I was going to purchase a new laptop but I am sure now that I rather have the surface because it is more mobile and that is what I want.

I popped in a USB with some photos that render color samples and the Surface Pro most definitely has better colors. Since I cannot calibrate one with X-Rite or Spyder I have no idea how much of the sRGB or aRGB space it can handle but there was noticeable differences with test targets.

Microsoft did a truly excellent job.
    Did you test out the dual kickstand? That's the one thing that's really keeping me from preordering because I'm not sure how well it holds in place.

Does the kickstand keep sturdy in the same place or does it just move easily?
    09-27-2013 08:50 PM

Surface RT/2 Benchmark thanks (nuprotocol)
    Last edited by Daylife; 09-27-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    09-27-2013 10:30 PM
    That is a really nice comparison that should be helpful to members considering either device. Thank you for sharing.
    09-27-2013 10:36 PM
    Yeah, this is wonderful to have and I think if I hadn't been impulsive and taken the dive already this would have sold me on it. Maybe this thread should get stickied though
    09-27-2013 10:42 PM
    wow that's incredible! Im stoked as hell to buy!
    09-27-2013 10:49 PM
    Wow, that's a crazy jump in RAM performance.
    jrodgers3 likes this.
    09-27-2013 11:22 PM
    I feel that this is already the Surface Pro of ARM. Great job, Microsoft.
    09-27-2013 11:36 PM
    Well it certainly is about as flexible of a device as you can get in terms of hardware design, and now it's backed by a SOC that can deliver a fast and smooth experience. I'd say that's a definite win for anyone wanting a tablet that can double as a backup PC/traveling companion
    Dare2Blink likes this.
    09-27-2013 11:42 PM
    Did you test out the dual kickstand? That's the one thing that's really keeping me from preordering because I'm not sure how well it holds in place.

Does the kickstand keep sturdy in the same place or does it just move easily?
    the kickstand is very stable in both positions, its got enough resistance in both positions that it doesn't move with normal force. Basically don't let the kickstand get in your way of buying the 2, its definitely an upgrade and the second position is fantastic.
    09-28-2013 09:36 AM
    As far as the Surface Pro 2, I can see running Visual Studio, Photoshop and Lightroom on it with zero problems. The store employee noted that 128gig will be easy to find, the 256gig a little harder and the 512gig versions impossible unless you pre-order.
    I can't help wondering if that guy is a little full of it. The only reason the 512-GB model would be hard to find is if few are made. It's $1,800 for that model, so it's not something I would expect many to want to throw money at. I'd preferentially get a thin external HDD and the 128-GB model (MAYBE the 256-GB one). The RAM shouldn't be a big need for many users (who can survive on 4 GB just fine), and the 256 GB extra on the SSD isn't worth the $500 for me (but that's me).
    09-28-2013 04:21 PM
    I was planning on buying a surface RT, but what I'm hearing on WP and the price I'm seeing I think I will wait for the surface 2. You guys have convinced me!
    Gergolos and BIGPADDY like this.
    09-28-2013 04:34 PM
    Yes, I was just playing with a Surface 2 and also a Pro at our local Msft store.
    09-28-2013 04:47 PM
    I was planning on buying a surface RT, but what I'm hearing on WP and the price I'm seeing I think I will wait for the surface 2. You guys have convinced me!
    If you've got the extra cash to drop on it then it's absolutely going to be worth the wait.
    09-28-2013 05:30 PM
    Man... I wanted to buy a Surface RT...and was hoping the 1 gen becoming cheaper after the Surface 2 release...but somehow I'm not quite sure any more if I should buy the first Surface or the second gen... I guess Im gonna wait for the second gen...

One question though:
    The first gen Surface RT dit not have the right display for the Pro Pen stylus. What about the Surface 2 display? Will it be the same? (So only the Pro 1 + 2 will work with the pen?)

Thanks in advance!
    09-28-2013 06:31 PM
    Man... I wanted to buy a Surface RT...and was hoping the 1 gen becoming cheaper after the Surface 2 release...but somehow I'm not quite sure any more if I should buy the first Surface or the second gen... I guess Im gonna wait for the second gen...

One question though:
    The first gen Surface RT dit not have the right display for the Pro Pen stylus. What about the Surface 2 display? Will it be the same? (So only the Pro 1 + 2 will work with the pen?)

Thanks in advance!
    The first generation surface rt is very slow.... A Nexus 10 is a much better purchase for consumer purposes, or productivity then get the asus t100. It's also 350 but triple the power and supports legacy applications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    09-28-2013 06:50 PM
    thx for your reply, coolqf, but I don't think that is an option for me ;) I really want a RT device (because of the battery power and no need for "full" windows 8 on my tablet). Would love to have a surface and had a few chances to try the first gen device. It was fast enough for me... But if it is not getting any cheaper, I am goingt to buy the second gen Surface...
    09-28-2013 06:56 PM
    The first generation surface rt is very slow.... A Nexus 10 is a much better purchase for consumer purposes, or productivity then get the asus t100. It's also 350 but triple the power and supports legacy applications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    I don't think Bay Trail is triple the power.
    09-28-2013 07:00 PM

One question though:

Thanks in advance!
    The pro pen has nothing to do with the display itself, it's the Wacom digitizer underneath in the Surface Pro

So in other words, even though the displays are now identical the digitizer is sadly absent
    BIGPADDY and Gergolos like this.
    09-28-2013 07:31 PM
    The only reason the 512-GB model would be hard to find is if few are made.
    Isn't it plainly obvious that this is what the store employee is eluding to? The stores aren't going to receive much (if any) 512GB stock because people won't be buying them. If you want one, you should pre-order online.
    09-28-2013 11:06 PM
    Isn't it plainly obvious that this is what the store employee is eluding to? The stores aren't going to receive much (if any) 512GB stock because people won't be buying them. If you want one, you should pre-order online.
    What I'm alluding to is that a pre-order isn't necessary because people aren't going to buy the things. Odds are, you'll have to specially order them online regardless, so pre-ordering it doesn't do a whole lot of good.
    09-29-2013 03:52 AM
    I don't think Bay Trail is triple the power.
    I think they quoted it as doubling the CPU power and tripling the GPU power, but the conditions for such increases weren't given during the presentation.
    09-29-2013 03:52 AM
91 123 ...