Why can't the Surface 2 use an active Digitizer pen?

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I guess I want, in round 2, the device that isn't coming. An up to 10 inch devices, with RT and a Wacom pen. I very much want to use OneNote with a pen, and not a keyboard.
Same here. I can't understand why MS is seemingly so close with One Note on Surface, yet can't make this final design decision to seal the deal.

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can at least confirm what is already known. I tried to use my friend's Surface Pro pen with my Surface 2 - nothing whatsoever registered.

I think I'll get a normal stylus for writing's sake.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I can at least confirm what is already known. I tried to use my friend's Surface Pro pen with my Surface 2 - nothing whatsoever registered.

I think I'll get a normal stylus for writing's sake.

Just be warned, I've heard that, at least on the Surface RT, it was specifically calibrated for fingers, so using a stylus could actually reduce accuracy.

ca_meo

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Anybody saw the Adonit Script? Jot Script Fine Point Stylus for iPad & iOS - Evernote Edition

i asked them about their future plans on windows tablets because the surface community would love to see an optional stylus with a small tip and palmblocking....
thats what they replied:

Hi there ......;

Well I have test the Script on some windows tablets and it seems to work pretty well, if not exactly as good as it works on the iPad. However it's special features are specific to iOS devices for now. We are looking into expanding into other markets, but I couldn't really give you anything specific right now on when we might see integration outside iOS. There are some development barriers we have been working on getting past from what I understand. However once we do have information to share about that we will certainly be letting everyone know via our website and social media channels.

Chase
Adonit Support

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Anybody saw the Adonit Script? Jot Script Fine Point Stylus for iPad & iOS - Evernote Edition

i asked them about their future plans on windows tablets because the surface community would love to see an optional stylus with a small tip and palmblocking....
thats what they replied:

Hi there ......;

Well I have test the Script on some windows tablets and it seems to work pretty well, if not exactly as good as it works on the iPad. However it's special features are specific to iOS devices for now. We are looking into expanding into other markets, but I couldn't really give you anything specific right now on when we might see integration outside iOS. There are some development barriers we have been working on getting past from what I understand. However once we do have information to share about that we will certainly be letting everyone know via our website and social media channels.

Chase
Adonit Support
I was wondering about support for this as well. I didn't even realize this type of pen existed until I was out looking at styli for my surface 2 yesterday. Wacom also makes a blue tooth connected active stylus for capacitive devices:
https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CS500PK0?
The Wacom device seems more directed at having a lot of pressure levels than at high precision, but the concept seems similar. I think I like the Jot Touch and Jot Script better, though. Do you think if we start spanning Adonit it would help? I think a lot of people would welcome this.

ca_meo

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I think everybody who is interested in such a pen should write them a few lines. They have a very fast responding, gentle team...

grapeadv

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the robust reply.

My wife and I are Catholic, and there are some decent apps, on our Nokia 925's, that we bring into church for Eucharistic adoration. Printed prayer books just aren't available with some of our prayers. We have a Breviary, and access to certain web pages with amazing prayers, that are just not in written form.

I hear you about how it would appear to others. And yes, we do go to Mass at my University most Sundays, but also a few others depending on scheduling. And for us it would be much better to have a tablet. We could record the audio of a homily. We could take written notes (we've seen others taking notes on Paper). We could also have a checklist for preparing before mass. Heck, if we hit the Lottery, we even want to right THE DEFINITIVE Catholic app. But that aside, we are making the transition to electronic reading and this would be critical to a "personal" device that is the center of our days. Like the old Filofax or Day Planners. Carried everywhere, used all the time.

Imagine taking notes in OneNote with the Parish announcements, and adding the entry to the Family Room Calendar. Parish Picnic, Saturday, October 25, bring a cake. And done once, and everyone has it. No more "I didn't right down the day, time or needed item".

My wife and I went to a parish planning meeting, and the priest wanted to open with a prayer and the day's gospel reading. But noted that he forgot his bible. Out came my phone and I just started reading the passage. And all that would have been so much easier on my 8 or 10 inch modern day planner, aka a Surface 2, with a pen.

just my thoughts, but thanks for yours too.

grapeadv

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
My son takes his IPad to church every Sunday for just that reason. No one has said anything, the Pastor even have him the church wifi password so he could access his Bible.

sicunder36

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, Microsoft should consider a cheaper version of the Pro, one that uses Intel's i3 or i5 Y chips (mobile) but retains the Wacom digitizer, Windows 8 Pro, etc. Offer it from $599.

words of wisdom right there.
i believe, cheaper versions of flagships should not just mean compromise - but a different niche all together.

if a surface 3pro means powerfull and complete

so

a cheaper surface should have meant - 3G/4G connectivity, voice calling, exchangeable battery, efficient engine(may be less powerful ) and thus no heating issues and longer battery life, while preserving the same handwriting function and cheaper app market like that for android for casual yet creative students or housewives or doctors and lawyers which don't need all the functions of full featured expensive windows suites and applications which despite the prize are yet not great with security concerns.

but for those heavy duty office warriors management and ITgurus, online traders -
i think the they should go for the appropriately prized surface pro3.

for the rest of us productive busy people who need technology for making their general lives easier as our professional lives don't need much technology - we fall between these 2 groups-

casual people who want to play games, instagram or facebook in high resolution while in the subway or bus while commuting
and
the boardroom warriors,

a student just needs to take notes in class doesnt need professional softwares - for that he can use his family/school pc.
microsoft has left the possibilities totally unexplored probably considering a big niche market just as a fringe, and thus aiding the rise of android powered samsung note series and watchout for asus fonepad 6 note too (also wacom)

i am not planning to buy anything windows for a very long time, i morally can not support this attitude (they scrapped surface mini- unbelievable - an affordable surface with a pen which will never see the light of day).

i am now a proud owner of samsung note3 neo ( is cheaper version of note 3 flagship for the who don't need the extra juice and don't need to be reminded that they are poor and thus not deserving of a basic technology like handwriting to go paperless).

10 years back as a 16 year old i thought not so privileged people like me probably don't deserve sony portable computer, windows mobile and ipods now i look at these fads and think obviously i deserve more than an iphone or other such bloatware for my money.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb