Surface 2 Miracast support?

Javichu1984

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody.

Does anybody knows if the Surface 2 supports Miracast? I've searched over the Internet, and the Surface RT don't support Miracast, so... what about Surface 2 (non Pro)?

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
And this is a question actually answered by Microsoft...

"Will Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 both have Miracast support?

They will have the same Miracast support."

Javichu1984

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
And this is a question actually answered by Microsoft...

"Will Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 both have Miracast support?

They will have the same Miracast support."

Thank you very much! But as Miracast is based on Wi-Di, and Wi-Di is only available on Intel chips, how it will work on Tegra 4?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
wrong. WiDi is Intel's very proprietary Wireless Display technology. Miracast uses Wi-Fi Direct combined with Bluetooth to stream. Just look it up on Wikipedia. Nothing prevents the Surface 2 from doing Miracast....hell I bet even the Surface could have done it.

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I was really looking forward to this on the RT at final 8.1 RTM but alas it was just a dream...I guess i'll keep using my microHDMI

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think any modern wifi chipset should be able to support Miracast. If I remember correctly, it uses wifi direct which is a pretty standard feature.
There might be some other hardware limitation though, and even if not, MS have no incentive to add new features to the Surface RT. They would much prefer you to go out and buy an RT2. In fact, adding new features to the RT might *stop* you buying an RT2.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
what is this miracast I keep hearing about? Is this some form of wireless HDMI or something? Does my TV need a wireless adapter for this?

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think (no experience here) that Miracast is a lot like Apple's Airplay, but not locked in to one system (so if you have a tablet (say Microsoft) and a TV (say Samsung) that both support Miracast then you can wirelessly stream video from the tablet to the TV). I have no idea what things support Miracast, but I would imagine there is some type of device you could plug into your TV to get this functionality (Like Apple TV for Airplay).

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the Surface *Pro* 2 is working with the Netgear PTV3000 using Miracast. I'm actually using it right now on my living room TV and it works great. I don't have a regular Surface 2 though so I can't confirm that.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the Surface *Pro* 2 is working with the Netgear PTV3000 using Miracast. I'm actually using it right now on my living room TV and it works great. I don't have a regular Surface 2 though so I can't confirm that.

It should also work with the Surface Pro (1). I also have a PTV3000, but the image cuts on my tv. Do you have this problem? Do you know how to resolve this? On the Intel WiDi app you have the option to resize screen without changing the resolution, but on Win8.1, i can't figure it out.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
any news about it? Does the surface 2 work with the netgear pushtv 3000? Anyone tried?

While I can't guarantee that it works, it should work. Tegra 4 supports miracast and Win8 (full) also supports Miracast. MS said that the miracast feature is the same on both OSes, although they didn't go all out and say "Yes, Miracast works..." Annoying, I know.

Deep sleep works on WinRT and Win8 32bit, but not Win8 64bit... So, the OSes don't always include the same features.

peteco0403

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
While I can't guarantee that it works, it should work. Tegra 4 supports miracast and Win8 (full) also supports Miracast. MS said that the miracast feature is the same on both OSes, although they didn't go all out and say "Yes, Miracast works..." Annoying, I know.

Deep sleep works on WinRT and Win8 32bit, but not Win8 64bit... So, the OSes don't always include the same features.

Yeah I know, that makes sense. If I'm going to settings/display, there is an option "connect to wireless display" so hopefully should work.
I don't want to pay ?60 and not being able to use it :(

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys can anyone give me an example of how this would work in a real life scenario I'm interested? For example would this work with an Xbox? Or an Apple TV?

SleepingWeasle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Surface 2 works with the PTV3000. I tried it as soon as I got it. As far as the Xbox, It will stream videos and other media to it, but I don't think it can do Miracast.

Last edited:

GAdrian

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up a Surface 2. Maracas worked as soon as I applied the latest updates. Using it with the PTV3000. Works great to view screen on TV either in "Duplicate" or "Extend" mode. Movie steaming, PowerPoint all worked as though the TV was just a second screen. Really nothing to do, just add PTV3000 as a Device and it works. Fantastic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers