01-25-2015 11:53 AM
330 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I use a Surface Pro, and am considering getting my 10 year old a Surface RT for school. I'm a little scared of not going Bay Trail, but the Surface hardware is so nice, and the limitations of RT have some benefits (I don't have to worry about malware, some app hanging and chewing up the battery, etc.). Loss of Intel compatibility scares me a little, though, but with Flash support on the RT browser, and with Office built-in, right now she can run everything needed for school. (I mostly just fear something she'll need to do in the future of it needs a new browser plugin, Google chrome, a new desktop app, etc.) Once I got Win8.1 I realized how much better equipped it is now for doing work in the metro interface, with the 50/50 split view being really nice.
    Last edited by bsd107; 10-21-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    10-20-2013 06:45 PM
    lol BrRip.mp4 ya **** pirate. Good video. where are u flying to?
    I own this on Blu-ray but its much less effort to let someone else rip it for me :)

Sunny Spain (for work)
    nuprotocol likes this.
    10-20-2013 06:45 PM
    PEN SUPPORT: I know MS states that their pen is only for the Pro and Pro 2. Early reports for Surface RT were that the pen would work with it, but with limitations.

Has anyone with a Surface Pro tried their pen on the Surface 2 to see if it works at all, e.g. in OneNote and Fresh Paint?

Thanks!
    10-20-2013 06:48 PM
    Another video to demo the speakers and multitasking (abit).

Looking to see if I can construct a tripod or something to improve the shakes!
    Great to see Halo running on it well.

Does Halo render at1080p, or is it upscaling as it does on RT ?
    10-20-2013 06:49 PM
    bsd107, seems to support it. Alarm worked perfectly even after it turned it off.

The instant switch on is one of the things I love compared to my pro.
    bsd107 likes this.
    10-20-2013 06:51 PM
    PEN SUPPORT: I know MS states that their pen is only for the Pro and Pro 2. Early reports for Surface RT were that the pen would work with it, but with limitations.

Has anyone with a Surface Pro tried their pen on the Surface 2 to see if it works at all, e.g. in OneNote and Fresh Paint?

Thanks!
    Surface 2 works with OneNote and fresh paint.
    10-20-2013 06:54 PM

Thanks!
    You can only use a passive stylus, the same kind of rubbery tipped styli you find people using with iPads and other tablets, the kind that tries to emulate your finger. The Surface RT and Surface 2 both lack a digitizer, so you can't use a Wacom active stylus, unfortunately. This means you don't get the accuracy of an active stylus, nor do you get the ability to rest your hand on the screen.

Also, on the Rt anyways, the screen was configured for finger input, so using a stylus could actually lower accuracy in some cases.
    10-20-2013 11:28 PM
    dolphinparty,

Does the Surface 2 support InstantGo? I would assume yes, but can find no reference to it.
    I'm afraid not. Having got my Surface 2 on Saturday, and after trying several things, the Surface 2 doesn't come with InstantGo.
    bsd107 likes this.
    10-21-2013 03:30 AM

Thanks!
    Tried my friend's Pro Pen on my Surface 2 - doesn't work.
    bsd107 likes this.
    10-21-2013 11:42 AM
    I own this on Blu-ray but its much less effort to let someone else rip it for me :)

Sunny Spain (for work)
    oh I thought you were a teenager.
    10-21-2013 12:39 PM
    Tried my friend's Pro Pen on my Surface 2 - doesn't work.
    Impossible for it to work. The Surface Pro's stylus is an active stylus and requires a digitizer to work. Without that essential digitizer layer built into the screen, it's useless. Seeing as the Surface 2 lacks the aforementioned digitizer, it obviously won't work.
    bsd107 likes this.
    10-21-2013 03:38 PM
    I'm afraid not. Having got my Surface 2 on Saturday, and after trying several things, the Surface 2 doesn't come with InstantGo.
    Unless I'm missing something here, InstantGo is only another name for Connected Standby.

In which case, Surface 2 definitively supports it.

The Surface 2 is connected standby enabled. That is not the case for the Surface Pro 2 however.
    10-21-2013 04:08 PM
    Surface 2 works with OneNote and fresh paint.
    I know - I was specifically asking about pen support (especially the pen that MS makes for the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2)
    10-21-2013 05:33 PM
    You can only use a passive stylus, the same kind of rubbery tipped styli you find people using with iPads and other tablets, the kind that tries to emulate your finger. The Surface RT and Surface 2 both lack a digitizer, so you can't use a Wacom active stylus, unfortunately. This means you don't get the accuracy of an active stylus, nor do you get the ability to rest your hand on the screen.

Also, on the Rt anyways, the screen was configured for finger input, so using a stylus could actually lower accuracy in some cases.
    Thanks for the answer.

I am of course considering one of the many new 8" Bay Trail tablets and considering the pros and cons against the Surface 2. (I find everything better about the Surface 2, although I wish it had Bay Trail.)

I noticed that many of the new 8" Bay Trail Win8.1 tablets have a stylus as an option. This includes the Dell Venue 8 Pro as well as the Lenovo Miix2 product. Dell even calls their pen the "Dell Active Stylus". But are these still really passive stylus, with all the limitations you describe above?
    10-21-2013 05:38 PM
    Did you try the "Alarm" app (that comes with Windows 8.1)? The help system for that app explains that InstantGo is required for the alarm to wake from sleep. Specifically in that app, you should get a warning the first time you set an alarm if your S2 does not support InstantGo.

The warning will appear at the top of the app, and have a "more info" button linking to a web page explaining why InstantGo is required.

Note that the warning will only appear the first time using the alarm portion of the app. I only got the warning once on my Surface Pro, and have not seen it again...

Thanks!
    10-21-2013 05:42 PM
    Unless I'm missing something here, InstantGo is only another name for Connected Standby.
    I am not sure if that is the case or not.

It does bother me that nowhere can I find any reference from Microsoft of the Surface 2 supporting InstantGo. (Meanwhile, Toshiba, for example, specifically calls it out in the specs of it's new 8" Win8.1 Bay Trail tablet....)
    10-21-2013 05:44 PM
    I am not sure if that is the case or not.

It does bother me that nowhere can I find any reference from Microsoft of the Surface 2 supporting InstantGo. (Meanwhile, Toshiba, for example, specifically calls it out in the specs of it's new 8" Win8.1 Bay Trail tablet....)
    I agree it doesn't clearly states InstantGo / Connected Stanby in the specs of the Surface 2.

However, according to this battery report posted in this thread by dolphinparty, it is indicated that connected standby is supported. Another clue would be this page that says:
    Standby
    If you dont use Surface for a little while, the screen turns off and Surface goes into connected standby mode. Connected standby means that while Surface appears to be sleeping, Surface stays connected to your wireless network. This way you can get app notifications, such as an incoming Skype call.
    There is also this page:
    On, off, standby, restart
    There's really no need to turn off (shut down) Surface completely. If you dont use Surface for a few minutes, it goes into standby mode, and the screen turns off and locks. When this happens, Surface stays connected to your wireless network and app notifications (such as how many new email messages you have) appear on the lock screen.
    Those quotes are pretty much the definition of the connected standby feature.

For those interested, here is a white paper from Microsoft I found last week about that: Introduction to Connected Standby
    10-21-2013 07:07 PM

I even uploaded this one on the Surface 2.

Very stable the whole flight / movie.
    Does it work with srt subtitle file???
    10-21-2013 08:00 PM
    Those quotes are pretty much the definition of the connected standby feature.
    Understood - but I am still not clear that "InstantGo" is the same exact thing as "Connected Standby". Yes, it could be just a change in marketing terms, but this is not clear.
    10-21-2013 09:50 PM
    Woot!!! Rocking out my new Surface Pro!!!

It's too early to give a solid review yet, but I think I'm in love, and I haven't even used my Type Cover, the Pen, or installed any apps yet! Sure is a beast though, my old laptop seems incredibly sluggish now.
    10-22-2013 01:22 AM
    Just got mine, it's absolutely gorgeous...!
    10-22-2013 04:45 AM
    I should get mine at 3:00 PM (EST) it's out for delivery... I need to locate that UPS truck!
    10-22-2013 07:00 AM
    Understood - but I am still not clear that "InstantGo" is the same exact thing as "Connected Standby". Yes, it could be just a change in marketing terms, but this is not clear.
    Yes indeed. Personally, I didn't encounter the term InstantGo before reading this thread. At first, I wasn't sure either if it was the same. But after doing some research, here is what I found:

A document from Intel mentioning at the second page:
    Connected Standby is now Microsoft* InstantGo
    A web page mentioning:
    InstantGo (new name for connected standby)
    This makes me think that the original term was Connected Standby but Microsoft decided to create a brand and name it InstantGo.
    bsd107 likes this.
    10-22-2013 08:24 AM
    Yes indeed. Personally, I didn't encounter the term InstantGo before reading this thread. At first, I wasn't sure either if it was the same. But after doing some research, here is what I found:

A document from Intel mentioning at the second page:

A web page mentioning:

This makes me think that the original term was Connected Standby but Microsoft decided to create a brand and name it InstantGo.
    How do we verify the Surface2 has it? I'm still not sure what the difference is after scanning through that pdf. The surface does push/pull emails and data while in standby mode.
    10-22-2013 08:38 AM
    Right, think I'll chip in here.

From what I've read, I came to the conclusion that the Surface 2 didn't have InstantGo, because when I use the new Alarms app, I get this message at the top:

screenshot-8-.png

When I click that link, I am then told that if I see that message, then my device does not have InstantGo:

screenshot-9-.png

screenshot-10-.png

However, having used the Alarms app this morning, I find out that the alarm does go off if the device is asleep.

I'm confused.
    TheCodifier and bsd107 like this.
    10-22-2013 10:48 AM
330 ... 34567 ...