Fair ZDNet article on Surface 2

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much spot on, I'd say. I even agree completely with the downsides stated - it's a tablet for grown-ups.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I am just glad that the guy has significant experience with it. If a product sucks, it sucks. If a product is great, it is great. I just want someone who ACTUALLY knows and can explain why. This guy seems to get it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Twitter is available, with a serviceable but not great app in the Windows Store. The Facebook app for Windows 8.1 just arrived and works great on the Surface 2.

Dropbox and Evernote, on the other hand, have pitiful Windows 8 apps. Spotify and Rdio aren't available at all. Instagram? Sorry, you'll need to use an unauthorized third-party app for that. Flipboard is supposed to be on the way but hasn't appeared yet.

I wonder if IE11's new website live tile feature will help alleviate the need for individual apps like Twitter, Dropbox.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if IE11's new website live tile feature will help alleviate the need for individual apps like Twitter, Dropbox.

For me, most websites are good enough on a tablet of this size. That said, apps for Twitter tend to be a lot easier to use then the website.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
If Microsoft would make one simple change, it would definitely alleviate the need for individual "site" apps...
Currently, when launching a website tile, it loads it as a tab within IE. This makes switching between app tiles different than switching between apps. If MS could allow website tiles to launch in a separate IE window, then using the visual task manager (swipe from left edge) would display the various websites. That would provide a seamless switching between apps and websites launched via a tile shortcut.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte