Surface 2 is already dead :(

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
No, i don't think it's dead. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release. Press power button briefly, and it should boot up.

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I just got the Surface 2--my wife picked it up for me as it was sent to my office in US and then brought it to me in Munich. She has a Surface RT and so she knew at least how to charge it and then just picked my basic settings. But then put my type cover (from surface rt) on it and then turned it off. I took it out in Munich and dead. I think it is just the screen as the windows key vibrates and if I hold the power button down for 6 seconds, the windows key doesn't vibrate anymore. And then if I click the power button, the windows key starts vibrating when i touch it. but nothing on the screen. and not a scratch on it (ie wife didn't drop it, etc).

I know this is just a one-off, bad luck, etc...but still painful that the thing only lasted a day.

heading back stateside on Monday and to a MSFT store I will go. luckily flying into dulles as otherwise it is a two hour drive to closest MSFT store from Baltimore.

so be it!

anybody else had one essentially DOA?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It may not be dead. My RT does this every now and then including receiving haptic feedback from the windows button - have to hold the power button down for about 30 seconds - seems to reset itself and turns back on after a normal power on button press.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
No, i don't think it's dead. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release. Press power button briefly, and it should boot up.

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
MartinMC--your trick worked. Volume Up + Power button for thirty seconds and then release and then power button. now turns on. Thanks! But what is this all about?

The simple hold power button for 6 seconds and then reset only turned off machine.

Is it hardware or software? I have only had it for like 24 hours and am excited, but should i be asking msft to replace?

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Every device seems to have a special way in which to do a full hardware-initiated reboot. This is built into the design for those times when the software causes a hard lockup. I wouldn't be too worried unless it keeps happening. If you ever find a way to consistently reproduce a hard lockup, definitely report it to MS through official channels.

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Every device seems to have a special way in which to do a full hardware-initiated reboot. This is built into the design for those times when the software causes a hard lockup. I wouldn't be too worried unless it keeps happening. If you ever find a way to consistently reproduce a hard lockup, definitely report it to MS through official channels.

Thanks--i always thought that this was the 6 second hard press, but have learned a new one. Much obliged and will let you know. Thought that it might be that i used the old type cover on the new surface, but am hoping that this is a ludicrous idea.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the Surface 2 this afternoon and mine does this all the time, Every time the screen times out or I press the power key to lock the tablet then the screen won't come back on and I have to reset the surface which is very annoying and I am worried this might damage the tablet ? Should I return it to the shop and get s replacement or should I contact Microsoft or should I wait for a update?.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I got the Surface 2 this afternoon and mine does this all the time, Every time the screen times out or I press the power key to lock the tablet then the screen won't come back on and I have to reset the surface which is very annoying and I am worried this might damage the tablet ? Should I return it to the shop and get s replacement or should I contact Microsoft or should I wait for a update?.

Make sure you do all of the updates. I believe there is a firmware update for the Surface 2 and some other 8.1 updates available. If your Surface continues to lock up frequently, I would definitely exchange it.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Its 8.1, it has been doing this to Surface's since the preview came out!

No. It happened to 8.0 as well. In fact, 5 instances since I bought the Surface RT in October 2012, no instance of it in 8.1 Preview, no instance in 8.1 RTM, and one instance on 8.1 GA, for me.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So far mine has been AMAZING :D this thing is a beast... Currently typing on it with twitch on the side watching a stream.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Is the screen meant to be left on when not using it ? I just assumed it worked like WP etc that you could hit power button to lock it and turn off screen when not using and then press power button to wake it back up again ?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Is the screen meant to be left on when not using it ? I just assumed it worked like WP etc that you could hit power button to lock it and turn off screen when not using and then press power button to wake it back up again ?

Yes, exactly as you described. You can also make it sleep by closing the cover, wake it up by opening the cover, or pressing CTL or Windows key.

TheCodifier

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

By default, the Surface 2 goes into connected standby mode after 2 minutes of inactivity. You can also put it in standby instantly by pressing the power button.

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

can you let me know if updates fixed this for you? still happening for me.

Stephen Pate

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine worked great until 9+2 updates last night. I could not wake up this morning despite being plugged in. Tried the hold down power button, let go and touch Windows button. It works now. That's more or less the same three-step voodoo I went through with Lumia 920 last spring.

It's nice to find a community where people like their MS products.

whatup12

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine worked great until 9+2 updates last night. I could not wake up this morning despite being plugged in. Tried the hold down power button, let go and touch Windows button. It works now. That's more or less the same three-step voodoo I went through with Lumia 920 last spring.

It's nice to find a community where people like their MS products.

Indeed, it happened again and I pulled the trigger and asked for exchange from MSFT. They obliged and are sending new one out by Monday.

That said, I had a fascinating conversation with the MSFT CSR. Ok to be clear, I have drunk the MSFT Kool-Aid. but indeed, I think their products have always worked to have a good balance of productivity and fun. And I like them even more as the underdog. Ok, so that is clear. but the MSFT reps haven't just drunk the Kool-Aid, they skipped right to the absinthe. First of all, they know nothing about the surface 2 other than the very basics. Ok, I can deal with that. But then, I made a comment like good to see the surface 2 being out of stock at the stores. And then he starts telling me how he remembers how the Surface RT was a huge hit and was ever sold out and now the Surface 2 is going to be an even bigger hit. Now, many of us like our Surface RTs (and yesterday's news about 400 e6 in sales/2 times sales, etc is great), but we would all have a tough time that the surface RT was in the best case scenario a loss leader when given away for new win 8/rt products. He went on for like 5 minutes and I just said uhuh...
I don't know what Apple sales people are like, but my experience with MSFT store staff and now CSR/tech support is that they actually know very little about their products. I really think that all of us collectively on this site likely do more to functionally advertise msft products than many of their own front line staff. am i being over judgmental?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs