Anyone else with horrible backlight bleeding?

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
where are yOU? what store is this?

The one in Somerset Mall in Troy, Michigan. The employees were great about it. The one unit that was banged up, I didn't original notice. The employee, actually caught it first and said, "ohhh, you don't want this one". Many stores would have let me walk out with that.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I take a diferent line.
For this price I expect near perfect.
Three returns on my RT finally got the one I think I deserved for the price including no backlight bleed at all.

If you allow them to ship you crap they will.
I am reading about WAY too many problems with the Surface 2 right now and rethinking my purchase.

The rattling volume rocker on my first is total bush league.

Could you take a picture of your device that doesn't have the issue? I think I have it too, but it's mild and I just want to see if I'm being too sensitive, or if I should take it back. I have a Pro 1 btw, I just thought the light bleed was normal this whole time

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Could you take a picture of your device that doesn't have the issue? I think I have it too, but it's mild and I just want to see if I'm being too sensitive, or if I should take it back. I have a Pro 1 btw, I just thought the light bleed was normal this whole time
That was my original RT which I have already sold.
Best strategy for that time I think was to wait a few months while they get the kinks out.
The backlight bleed was only noticeable in black background apps like Tunein and movies.
Volume rocker will drive me nuts daily.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
For those chiming in with that backlight problem is horrible, take most cheap digital camera which includes every camera in virtually every phone, and point it at your tablet while it is on the start up screen. You will usually find it looks just as bad. Such devices cannot spot meter so it tries to average light exposure or emphasizes the dark which results in all light being over exposed. That includes the obvious logo exposure in the images. In this case, you can open that image in Photoshop and reduce the exposure by five full stops and while the side light is gone, the logo is still on the screen with clear evidence of over exposure/over saturation. It is not that they are faked by anyone, just that you are seeing images that tell you absolutely nothing given the limitations of the camera used.

By my estimation, if you reduce the exposure it will look like just about any other screen. From my perspective, I would ask the same question in this case as I have of others. Can you see the problem when you are actually using the device? If not then why are you complaining about what the display looks like on startup. All back and side lit displays do the same thing to some degree since it is simply a reality of the laws of physics. As to getting a second and finding it defective, if you choose to be an early adopter of ANY device, that is a risk you take. As a point of reference that applies to Apple's supposedly flawless devices as well. Take a look at any Best Buy's open box page and you will find the most available open box tablet is almost always the iPad. Sorry to be so blunt but as far as "I give up" goes, if you don't want to deal with early adopter problems then don't be an early adopter. So far there seems to be no greater frequency of defects in the Surface products than any others.

I have the first surface pro. Yes, it has "light bleed". So do most LCD monitors that I've seen. It's a quirk of the technology and how it is built to produce the intended effect. Monitors manufactured to not have light bleed run in the thousands and are usually used by professional graphic artists and are color calibrated. You are *NOT* getting that in a 1k laptop.

As for the "money I paid", I dunno about the rest of you, but I paid for a freakishly light laptop with good specs and WACOM support, not to stare at empty black screens and keep up with the iPad-using Joneses. Seriously, I never notice it after the bootup, even when there's a good deal of black on the screen. I think the reason this "defect" shows up so often is because most just don't consider it a "defect". I've worked PC repair jobs and I didn't even know people returned devices for that until I saw people here discussing it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm just trying to help. I meant for others to post the pictures of their problem.

My ipad mini bites when it comes to using it on forums. It caused a double post and I was clearing it out. Not directed at you. As soon as I can get rid of this crap mini I will.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I can agree that this looks a bit worse than what is normal, but it is really not a good idea to look at the boot screen and check for light bleeding. Particularily not on an overexposed photo in darkness. My Asus vivo tab looks absolutely atrocious in a darker room, if I look at it then, but as the tablet is up and running, all looks fine. The problem is that the brightness adjustment does not work during boot up, and hence the display is pushed to maximum brightness which in this case borders on 600 nits. If you got bad backlight bleeding, step one should always be to see if the brightness is not too high.

In actual usage, on my tablet there is a slight remaining backlight bleed in one corner which is only slightly visible in movies with letter boxing, and thus I do not care about it as you have to look for it.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just took a pic of that screen. Again, my decision that it was to bad to keep, was based on the fact that it was affecting my movie and TV watching on the device (which as I stated is about 50% of my tablet use). If I still had that device, I would take a picture during a movie. But as far as the backlight issue, I walked around the store while I was waiting, and pulled out the charm menu on about 5 model units. Not one had an ounce of backlight bleeding. If those all had it, id say that was normal and how it is intended. The fact that all five had NO bleeding, made me feel.better about my decision, and helped verify to me that there should be none with these units. Your also missing the point about what this thread has turned into. Forget the backlight issue, it is now a poor build quality issue. Numerous other devices exchanged for me and we had one that was non-bootable and another that looked like it had been dropped in the plant and boxed up anyway.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Give me a break, all IPS panels bleed. Amazon even puts a note on any device with one and essentially says f off in regards to returning it for that reason. if you look hard enough they all bleed. even on your surface that you claim it doesn't bleed.... it bleeds.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Give me a break, all IPS panels bleed. Amazon even puts a note on any device with one and essentially says f off in regards to returning it for that reason. if you look hard enough they all bleed. even on your surface that you claim it doesn't bleed.... it bleeds.
I'll give you a break, tiny tim. The store even agreed my first one was ridiculous and the one guy commented that it looked like to LCD flashlights shining from under the bezel. So go lecture someone else that is willing to humor you, and listen to your holier than thou crap.

Joris Timmermans

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree with inteller that all panels have it to a certain degree, the question is, what degree is acceptable. My Surface 1 didn't suffer so much, my surface 2 did suffer allot more, I exchanged it, not knowing what I would get, but the second Surface 2 is way better, at the same level of the Surface 1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6