What can the Surface do that the iPad simply cannot?

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I saw the other forum discussion about a similar topic (though not as broad) about something the Surface does that the iPad cannot. I'm curious, but.. what functionalities can the Surface do that the iPad can truly not do at all? I'm not talking about doing something better or worse, just simply not an option for the iPad by any means.

I know side-by-side app viewing is a nonexistent functionality, but are there answers the iPad has for other things, even if it isn't as efficient as the Surface?

Flash?

Network drive support?
Lets just save everyone some time and point out that the surface is a computer. Not a tablet unlike the tablet

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
iPad is COOL! Girls love iPad while old guys buy Surface tablets and brag.
Yucks!

Hahaha sweet. actually if any one over 60 ask me which tablet or phone to buy I always point them to apple products. There nice and simple for senior citizens. I plug my S2 into a printer and printed something off in about 20 seconds. thank god.

:grin:

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I didn't expect this many responses already.

The reason I asked is because I wanted to see the capability gaps are that usually hush-hush in reviews, iPad user communities, etc. We don't hear a lot about iPad limitations from editors, and my obvious suspicion is because most are accustomed to viewing tablets through a single lens which fits the iPad's consumption model but ignores other tablet consumption models out there... like the Surface.

In reading a lot of these responses (which is helpful as I have never owned an iPad but have owned other iOS devices), it's clear that there are a ton of things that, current state, iPad could not do either well or at all because of an innate limitations. Though it seems that the Surface actually has the potential to do everything the iPad does plus more given that the missing apps were made available.

It seems pretty clear that critics are harsher on the Surface due to a limited app selection than they are about the iPad which has limitations that can never be fixed by apps.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I didn't expect this many responses already.

The reason I asked is because I wanted to see the capability gaps are that usually hush-hush in reviews, iPad user communities, etc. We don't hear a lot about iPad limitations from editors, and my obvious suspicion is because most are accustomed to viewing tablets through a single lens which fits the iPad's consumption model but ignores other tablet consumption models out there... like the Surface.

In reading a lot of these responses (which is helpful as I have never owned an iPad but have owned other iOS devices), it's clear that there are a ton of things that, current state, iPad could not do either well or at all because of an innate limitations. Though it seems that the Surface actually has the potential to do everything the iPad does plus more given that the missing apps were made available.

It seems pretty clear that critics are harsher on the Surface due to a limited app selection than they are about the iPad which has limitations that can never be fixed by apps.

I have noticed, as you stated, a lot of reviews assume the deciding factor is what ever the apple product does well. Apps is the measuring stick now, I remember when the iPhone camera was a big factor. every review I have read regarding he surface as it compares to an ipad does not really talk hardware (usb port, hdmi, memory card, etc) unless it is weight. that seems strange. I do think some ones needs could definitely point them to another tablet like an Ipad, but to totally ignore the functionality of the surface, or any other non ipad tablet for that matter, just tells you how much weight a tech review should hold.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but how is that a logical conclusion to come to based on the evidence in the previous posts and what you have seen in the real world - have you seen any old guys buying surface tablets to brag, and have you seen any girls that express their love towards iPads

Bearing in mind that a lot of girls are iSheep so that statement may hold some weight, but still, last time i checked girls didn't judge guys on their tablet lol.

Please could you come up with some proof to backup your argument before coming on here and blurting out stuff
Am I the only one who thinks he was just being funny/sarcastic?

timanderson

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
To me the main things are USB 3.0, Office, and the ability to have multiple apps on view together, which I use more in the desktop environment than in "Metro". Finally, skateboarding :)

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Who said one can't be productive on the Surface? I can't run traditional desktop apps, true, but yes I can SSH / RDP / VNC and that's all I need :)

2013_11_02_17_57_40_HDR.jpg

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The surface might actually be a really good granny computer today just because you have the ability to plug it in like that and get a lot of the basic functionality of a desktop PC. If you don't use much more than the browser and email, I could definitely see myself recommending it to someone older just because they then can't mess up everything with malware and tool bars.

Given that my grandmother, who used to work as a secretary, complains about the keyboard on her 17 inch laptop, I can only imagine the reaction if someone tried to get her to do the occasional writing on an iPad...

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This is my current rig, working on a School prodject, talking to my Group(facebook), and a friend(skype) and typing in my report in Word while using a full desktop browser (IE11) checking up a finans formula which Im using in Excel, while running OneNote to show me which Group room we're going to use tomorrow for the Group prodject while Reading email in Outlook and checking up on background data from a pdf in Adobe Reader touch. for those who were counting, I'm using 8 apps, at the same time split over two screens....in my lap....in a Chair.... oh! and I have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse Connected (although, only the Logitech Bluetooth dongle is viseblue in the frame)

This is what makesd the ipad a toy in compairason, this is PC grade ADD Multitasking abilities...

Attachments

• 2013-11-12-6904.jpg
    2013-11-12-6904.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte