09-17-2015 12:50 PM
48 12
tools
    Some day VLC will happen ...
    02-19-2014 10:57 AM
    I do not understand, why anyone would use an MPEG-4 codec (AVC) but not an MPEG-4 container (mp4). Just to be "different"?
    Ed Boland likes this.
    02-19-2014 12:31 PM
    It seems that there is no apps could support to ply MKV files directly on Surface. The best and easy way is to convert MKV to friendly format of Surface.
    Nope, PowerDVD Mobile works just fine natively outputting MKVs
    02-19-2014 12:31 PM
    I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in the thread, but....

If you have even a moderate collection of video files you want to manage, I can't recommend Plex enough. About a month ago I decided to try it and it's now my most used program on all my devices: PC, Surface 2, Lumia 520, Nexus 7, and Roku. Of course, with Plex the file format doesn't matter: It will just play on whatever device you're using.

Anyway, there ya go. :)
    02-19-2014 01:06 PM
    Yeah Plex IS pretty good....
    02-20-2014 11:12 PM
    Actually, PLEX is really REALLY good! I've never looked at my movie collection quite the same.. The only drawback is that it's $4.99 per app. $4.99 for the WP8 app, and another $4.99 for the Win8.1 app. So you've spent 10 bucks, but once you've set up the (free) PLEX server application on your host PC and tell it where your folders are with your movies, you're in for a treat as it finds "cover art" (or movie posters/covers) for all your movies and organizes all of them. You'll find movies you forgot you had.. and you'll be able to play them all! AVI, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, you name it, it'll play it.. and it plays them smoothly! That's another part of the PLEX magic; it streams your media from your "server" to your PLEX "client" apps instantaneously where latency is virtually non-existent.
    ShaneRay and WillysJeepMan like this.
    02-24-2014 08:55 AM
    i assume when vlc arrives for surface 2 it'll play iso images too like the desktop version. or am i assuming wrong?
    03-03-2014 12:32 PM
    Actually, PLEX is really REALLY good! I've never looked at my movie collection quite the same.. The only drawback is that it's $4.99 per app. $4.99 for the WP8 app, and another $4.99 for the Win8.1 app. So you've spent 10 bucks, but once you've set up the (free) PLEX server application on your host PC and tell it where your folders are with your movies, you're in for a treat as it finds "cover art" (or movie posters/covers) for all your movies and organizes all of them. You'll find movies you forgot you had.. and you'll be able to play them all! AVI, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, you name it, it'll play it.. and it plays them smoothly! That's another part of the PLEX magic; it streams your media from your "server" to your PLEX "client" apps instantaneously where latency is virtually non-existent.
    Plex is amazing. After dealing with so much frustration with Apple's solution (Apple TV, Apple iMac, Apple iPad, Apple iPhone), I switched Roku and Plex. Everything works amazingly well! With the Plex solution I now have a "personal Netflix" of sorts. Lots of fun. RT client works very well. iOS client as well.

i assume when vlc arrives for surface 2 it'll play iso images too like the desktop version. or am i assuming wrong?
    I think that assumption is at this point in time just that, an assumption. I'd hope that it would, but there are probably some WinRT-specific hurdles to overcome.
    03-03-2014 12:59 PM
    I bought mobile HD player and it works pretty well. Ofcourse...will replace it with VLC when and if it finally comes out.
    03-04-2014 10:47 PM
    didn't they say that it was submitted and approved, they should just release it.... its very important
    03-05-2014 03:54 AM
    does mobile hd play iso containers?
    03-05-2014 04:01 AM
    Hey,

I just set up my Plex server and downloaded the Plex App onto my S2. Playback on the S2 works like a charm but when I choose the "Connect to" option it won't find any players. I want to be able to control what's played on my big screen with the S2. The machine I want to play to is the machine that actually hosts the plex server! Just to make sure, I checked if the server is in the devices list of my S2 (it is!). Any thoughts?

This is kind of a bummer since that feature was the one I was looking forward to the most...

Any help is appreciated!
    03-06-2014 02:59 PM
    so the current VLC windows app wont work with Surface 2 (ARM based) tablets. They basically made an App for the Win8 machines that can already load the .exe install version of it...BASICALLY pointless to people who can only rely on owners of Surface 2 or Surface RT.

they said that this is the first major step into getting to ARM tablets...are you willing to wait that long?
    03-21-2014 03:22 PM
    Any thoughts?
    There are 3 preconditions:

1) The Plex app needs to support play-to
    2) The server/playback device needs to support acting as DLNA renderer
    3) The server/playback device needs to be Windows certified

...are you willing to wait that long?
    Why wait? There are a few apps which supporting playback of *.mkv files. Or better yet, use another container format like *.mp4
    03-21-2014 09:46 PM
    I wish MoliPlayer Pro would come to Windows RT.
    03-23-2014 04:34 PM
    You have 2 (and I guess I tested all).

This one is free and sometimes mess with some mkv https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=e2E9w53F

This one is paid and never let me down https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=JRM1fAT0

Both can read .srt
    Last edited by migueli2; 03-25-2014 at 10:05 AM.
    03-24-2014 06:39 PM
    Torrex Plays mkv files very smoothly and is free (or at least there is a free version).
    03-26-2014 10:54 AM
    I do not understand, why anyone would use an MPEG-4 codec (AVC) but not an MPEG-4 container (mp4). Just to be "different"?
    Plenty of reasons. Multiple audio tracks (like if you want to keep your movie commentary when ripping), subtitle support (important for many things, but as an example, needed in Game of Thrones), a wider variety of audio support (if you want to keep DTS, or Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD, or even encode to FLAC), chapters, etc.

Matroska is a far better container. It just unfortunately also has a reputation as being a "pirated content" container.
    03-26-2014 12:02 PM
    Just picked up "Metro Media Player Pro" ($1.49) and it's pretty nice. Plays MKV's just fine.
    03-27-2014 12:52 PM
    Windows Media Player, and the Video player that comes with Windows 8/8.1 dont play ".mkv" files?
    03-27-2014 01:03 PM
    Plenty of reasons. Multiple audio tracks (like if you want to keep your movie commentary when ripping), subtitle support (important for many things, but as an example, needed in Game of Thrones), a wider variety of audio support (if you want to keep DTS, or Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD, or even encode to FLAC), chapters, etc.
    All this is supported by mp4 (MPEG 4 part 14) as well. (with exception of FLAC maybe, but there are other lossless audio formats supported though)

Matroska is a far better container. It just unfortunately also has a reputation as being a "pirated content" container.
    Disagreed. MP4 is quite a bit more powerful, supporting all kinds of meta information on top of the features you mentioned above.
    And contrary to MKV MP4 is defacto standard in the industry.
    And yes, MKV is the container format for mostly pirated stuff due to the fact that there is much free and non-commercial tool support. So i guess the reputation is warranted.
    03-27-2014 03:50 PM
    Another solution is to use iDealshare VideoGo convert MKV to Surface more supported video format.
    07-28-2015 09:37 PM
    Another solution is to use iDealshare VideoGo convert MKV to Surface more supported video format.
    There was an update to the Video on Windows RT about 8-10 months ago that made it so the native video apps play MKV files.
    09-17-2015 12:50 PM
48 12