Any Apps for Surface 2 that can play .mkv files smoothly?

samdrlvt

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I am expecting a Christmas Gift from VLC Team, to release this desired program!

I am having some issues too, with mobile.hd, because, some 1080p mkv movies are playing fine (the movie and aspect ratio, is ok), but others, show some weird aspect ratios, like not showing full movie on screen, but only part of it... also, subtitles (*.srt subtitles with same file name of movie), random work and randmon don?t work, wich is annoying... i am on trial period and, not wanting to pay for a half-working app... whowever, when the program works is gorgeous...

Edit: ok, i have managed to get mobile.hd corretly play all files. My Surface 2, needed some system updates, and after aplying them, all is working ok, now! Now the program plays every 1080p movies, with various sound formats (DTS included) and with correct aspet ratios. So, noobish, of me... so simple to solve! Now, i am really gonna buy the app :-D

Last edited:

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I also have a Surface 2 and when I want to play .mkv files on it, I often use Pavtube video converter to do the conversion first and then transfer it to my Surface 2 so that I can play the videos smoothly!

MobileHD plays MKV just fine and its like 3 bucks

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If the VLC Beta on Android is any indication of what it will bring to Windows 8.x it is disappointing. It stutters audio only (FLAC) and videos. In contrast, Media Monkey (also on Beta for Android) that became available in Windows 8.x first has flawless audio and video playback.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in the thread, but....

If you have even a moderate collection of video files you want to manage, I can't recommend Plex enough. About a month ago I decided to try it and it's now my most used program on all my devices: PC, Surface 2, Lumia 520, Nexus 7, and Roku. Of course, with Plex the file format doesn't matter: It will just play on whatever device you're using.

Anyway, there ya go. :)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, PLEX is really REALLY good! I've never looked at my movie collection quite the same.. The only drawback is that it's $4.99 per app. $4.99 for the WP8 app, and another $4.99 for the Win8.1 app. So you've spent 10 bucks, but once you've set up the (free) PLEX server application on your host PC and tell it where your folders are with your movies, you're in for a treat as it finds "cover art" (or movie posters/covers) for all your movies and organizes all of them. You'll find movies you forgot you had.. and you'll be able to play them all! AVI, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, you name it, it'll play it.. and it plays them smoothly! That's another part of the PLEX magic; it streams your media from your "server" to your PLEX "client" apps instantaneously where latency is virtually non-existent.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Actually, PLEX is really REALLY good! I've never looked at my movie collection quite the same.. The only drawback is that it's $4.99 per app. $4.99 for the WP8 app, and another $4.99 for the Win8.1 app. So you've spent 10 bucks, but once you've set up the (free) PLEX server application on your host PC and tell it where your folders are with your movies, you're in for a treat as it finds "cover art" (or movie posters/covers) for all your movies and organizes all of them. You'll find movies you forgot you had.. and you'll be able to play them all! AVI, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, you name it, it'll play it.. and it plays them smoothly! That's another part of the PLEX magic; it streams your media from your "server" to your PLEX "client" apps instantaneously where latency is virtually non-existent.
Plex is amazing. After dealing with so much frustration with Apple's solution (Apple TV, Apple iMac, Apple iPad, Apple iPhone), I switched Roku and Plex. Everything works amazingly well! With the Plex solution I now have a "personal Netflix" of sorts. Lots of fun. RT client works very well. iOS client as well.

i assume when vlc arrives for surface 2 it'll play iso images too like the desktop version. or am i assuming wrong?
I think that assumption is at this point in time just that, an assumption. I'd hope that it would, but there are probably some WinRT-specific hurdles to overcome.

vraev

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought mobile HD player and it works pretty well. Ofcourse...will replace it with VLC when and if it finally comes out.

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Hey,

I just set up my Plex server and downloaded the Plex App onto my S2. Playback on the S2 works like a charm but when I choose the "Connect to" option it won't find any players. I want to be able to control what's played on my big screen with the S2. The machine I want to play to is the machine that actually hosts the plex server! Just to make sure, I checked if the server is in the devices list of my S2 (it is!). Any thoughts?

This is kind of a bummer since that feature was the one I was looking forward to the most...

Any help is appreciated!

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
so the current VLC windows app wont work with Surface 2 (ARM based) tablets. They basically made an App for the Win8 machines that can already load the .exe install version of it...BASICALLY pointless to people who can only rely on owners of Surface 2 or Surface RT.

they said that this is the first major step into getting to ARM tablets...are you willing to wait that long?

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Any thoughts?

There are 3 preconditions:

1) The Plex app needs to support play-to
2) The server/playback device needs to support acting as DLNA renderer
3) The server/playback device needs to be Windows certified

...are you willing to wait that long?
Why wait? There are a few apps which supporting playback of *.mkv files. Or better yet, use another container format like *.mp4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb