11-16-2013 03:42 PM
86 1234
tools
    Just did a rundown for 90 mins. Only surfing, 10 mins video in IE, battery dropped 22%. This would be less than 7 hours. Screen brightness was 50%, 5 bars WiFi.

Would you think that something is wrong with my surface 2?
    That's drain more than I'm getting. I seem to be getting 5 to 10 % an hour. I'm not sure how much the battery will "settle" with time.
    11-02-2013 10:52 PM
    how poor? Less than 12 hrs heavy use?
    11-02-2013 11:32 PM
    Mine drains really fast in the beginning, but slower from 50 percent downwards.
    11-03-2013 01:49 AM
    I have a new l920 and my battery is poor I just have 3 days with the phone what should I do ?
    Check what's running in the background, shut off things you don't use, and give it some time.
    My Lumia's battery life improved with every day usage.
    Now i tend to have 1.5 / 2 days before i have to charge it again. At this moment i have 69% and still 21 hours and 13 minutes to go untill i have to charge it again
    kingdark485 likes this.
    11-03-2013 03:36 AM
    So, after my reinstall I am two hours in (I mostly watched stuff on Netflix) and have burned 28%. Better than yesterday, but still not good enough to get me near to the ten hour mark. I suppose there are things I could try to increase my battery life, but I really shouldn't need to go get close to what is promised by Microsoft. It's not quite a deal-breaker for me, but it's very disappointing.

Also I'm having a weird problem now: every now and then a bar of what appears to be nothing but a mess of pixels flickers on my screen for a single frame. It doesn't appear to be tied to any particular application either. Very puzzling.
    11-03-2013 12:28 PM
    Maybe better battery with use. That's how my phone was. I took mine off the charges yesterday morning and haven't charged it yet. Its been used quite a bit. more than 7 hours.
    11-03-2013 01:33 PM
    I chatted with MS support and they recommended an exchange. So that's what I will do. I will see how the next one is doing.
    11-03-2013 04:38 PM
    I'm curious: People who are getting 10+ hours of battery life, do you have Bluetooth turned off?
    11-03-2013 05:53 PM
    I'm curious: People who are getting 10+ hours of battery life, do you have Bluetooth turned off?
    Mine was on. I turned it off to see if there is any change.
    11-03-2013 06:29 PM
    So, after my reinstall I am two hours in (I mostly watched stuff on Netflix) and have burned 28%. Better than yesterday, but still not good enough to get me near to the ten hour mark. I suppose there are things I could try to increase my battery life, but I really shouldn't need to go get close to what is promised by Microsoft. It's not quite a deal-breaker for me, but it's very disappointing.

Also I'm having a weird problem now: every now and then a bar of what appears to be nothing but a mess of pixels flickers on my screen for a single frame. It doesn't appear to be tied to any particular application either. Very puzzling.
    Definitely starting to sound like you picked up an effective unit, that's worse battery life even than my Surface Pro 2, and the odd pixel thing only seems to support that theory.
    11-03-2013 06:39 PM
    My battery life also seems not to be like intended.
    I get 6-7 hours of expected battery life from powercfg /batteryreport.

When playing games (MS Solitair mostly) it leaches like 20-25% per hour.
    When only surfing and youtube it takes about 15-20% per hour.

Don't know what to think about those stats, seems like defective battery or something strange with software or apps.
    11-04-2013 02:36 AM
    So for me it appeared that my surface 2 was suffering from battery issues but I am much more hesitant to claim that now that I have turned brightness down to 50%. With max brightness before I was only getting 7hrs of active usage consistently. Now I am on pace for 10hrs.
    11-05-2013 12:02 AM
    That sounds much more in line with what you should be getting.
    11-05-2013 05:52 AM
    Noticed that my battery drains pretty fast too. I was dropping around 12-13% an hour. That's mostly from web browsing and Office. Also had a few games suspended in the background. With drainage like that I couldn't imagine getting anything more than 7-10 hours out of mines. I also don't employ any battery saving techniques either. WiFi and Bluetooth stays on. I also heavily use my Bluetooth keyboard as well. Screen brightness never dips below 100% either. I can't tell if that's common or if something's wrong.
    11-05-2013 10:21 AM
    Noticed that my battery drains pretty fast too. I was dropping around 12-13% an hour. That's mostly from web browsing and Office. Also had a few games suspended in the background. With drainage like that I couldn't imagine getting anything more than 7-10 hours out of mines. I also don't employ any battery saving techniques either. WiFi and Bluetooth stays on. I also heavily use my Bluetooth keyboard as well. Screen brightness never dips below 100% either. I can't tell if that's common or if something's wrong.
    notsureif.jpg
    11-05-2013 10:24 AM
    Okay, I exchanged my surface and am still only getting 5-6 hours: surfing, video conferencing with Skype, Netflix or YouTube. When skyping, the battery drops the fastest with 20-30% per hour. The screen brightness is only set to 50%. What am I doing different than all of you who get 7, 10 or even more hours of battery life?

I thought the surface 2 is an improvement battery wise over the RT, but mine isn't., even the replacement. Btw, Bestbuy said that this was the first return at their store, so I am glad to hear that, but bumped that there is something wrong here.
    11-05-2013 10:36 AM
    The Surface Pro 2 received a firmware update that improved battery life, so it seems Microsoft needs to do one for the Surface 2.
    11-05-2013 11:24 AM
    Typically, the battery life listed by a manufacturer is always 50% screen brightness or lower, because they know listing the results at 100% brightness won't be very impressive.
    11-05-2013 11:33 AM
    Are you guys using it outdoors or is the screen not very bright? I found max brightness on the RT and Pro 1/2 to be way too bright.
    11-05-2013 12:53 PM
    Are you guys using it outdoors or is the screen not very bright? I found max brightness on the RT and Pro 1/2 to be way too bright.
    The screen just looks dim to me when it's not at 100%
    11-05-2013 01:39 PM
    Update: I fear my battery life may be worse than previously imagined. This thing is dropping a percentage point every couple of minutes. I've lost nearly 20% with barely an hour of web browsing, and that wasn't even consecutive usage. The MS support page says that we should let the battery dip below 10% every so often. Wondering if I should do the same now or let it completely drain before the next charge.
    11-05-2013 09:18 PM
    Update: I fear my battery life may be worse than previously imagined. This thing is dropping a percentage point every couple of minutes. I've lost nearly 20% with barely an hour of web browsing, and that wasn't even consecutive usage. The MS support page says that we should let the battery dip below 10% every so often. Wondering if I should do the same now or let it completely drain before the next charge.
    I'm going on a week and a half of use, and I'm not seeing necessarily an increase in battery life (mines been good 10 +) but It has been up and down. as with the phones, and every other tablet I have owned, I bet it will take a bit for it to level off. That being said 20% an hour sucks. Nothing but up buddy.
    HeyCori likes this.
    11-05-2013 09:47 PM
    I haven't had time to do a proper test, but it seems even with Bluetooth off as Microsoft's tech support recommended to me and screen brightness sitting at around 25% I am still in the 6-7 hour range (extrapolating from two hours of near constant use).

I just don't get why this is. I suppose I should attempt turning off all of the synching just to see if that has an effect.

If not I'm going to have to drive to the Microsoft store and ask for an exchange.
    11-05-2013 10:07 PM
    Have you guys checked your services running in the background. I was doing a simple web browsing on ie and i ran task manager to see what was eating up my cpu and the search service was eating up a constant 25 percent of my cpu. When you guys are noticing the rapid drain, see if the back of the device top right in landscape mode is hot.

We should post a list of services that we can safety disable.
    11-05-2013 10:13 PM
    I have noticed that portion of the tablet gets warm, though not quite hot. But then again, my battery drain problem is not terribly severe.

And no, I have not actually looked at what services are running. Only applications to make sure that I hadn't left anything suspended. I'll have to check that... Hmm, I'm immediately noticing that Skype is eating up double the memory of anything else.... Stupid Skype! And then that's followe by Netflix, which apparently is also a hog. But even between the two of them it's only about 130MB of memory usage. The other gigabyte or so is all being eaten up by Windows. My CPU usage is unremarkable (hovering around 1%), and disk usage is likewise minimal. I'll try disabling some services and see if it gets me anywhere
    11-05-2013 10:32 PM
86 1234