Possibly Christmas gift to me! Questions..

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So I am impressed with what I have read! The nokia 2520 seems to disappoint me a little I am leaning towards this.... I would be using it for word, pp, etc. Web browsing and so forth. I have a 11" Asus laptop I like and use for class but looking for something to use that will get me by at home for at least two years..... Few questions....
Can I connect my external DVD drive to it? Also would you guys reccomend 32gb or 64gb? I know 8.1 takes up some space and especially this was the case with the original rt. From what I read each can expand to 64 tops, is that right? Plus usb? Not huge on apps I just want a computer/tablet that I can use to upload photos or throw on a USB drive and also be able to do the basic functions of a laptop. ITunes isn't an issue so I don't see the point for me of getting a pro, just hoping this has some future proof to it! Also those holding out for the nokia I would love to hear your reasons... And no I will not be taking pics with it ha! Skype at the most... Sorry for the newbie questions I'm coming from a useless Nexus 7 (imo) and then previous boring and again useless ipad! Thanks ahead of time!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can hook up a disc drive to them, as they are rt.

If you use microSD and like it, I suggest getting the 32Gb model.

The 2520 and surface pro 2 are both great, but it comes down to personal preference. You'll be satisfied with either one. But the 2520 only comes in cellular model, and not wifi only model.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
You can probably use the DVD, and I think 32 is enough since you can expand it with micro SD, if you don't use very many apps.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I must admit, I have no idea if an external disc drive would work. Everything I've plugged into it so far has worked, but that hasn't been a lot of things (an external HDD, a wireless mouse, a 360 controller, a flash drive, my Lumia 1020 and a camera).

Unfortunately there's not even a really good way to figure out what has drivers on Windows RT. Microsoft does have a compatibility, but it's not super helpful with Windows RT... Although I'm having trouble finding any external disc drives that work according to that list. (Windows Compatibility Center)

How much storage you need depends on how you use it. For what you're doing, the 16GB that are free on the cheaper model may be enough with all of your documents syncing to SkyDrive anyway. And yeah, you can add up to 64GB via MicroSD plus any external hard drive or flash drive you may have.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I must admit, I have no idea if an external disc drive would work. Everything I've plugged into it so far has worked, but that hasn't been a lot of things (an external HDD, a wireless mouse, a 360 controller, a flash drive, my Lumia 1020 and a camera).

Unfortunately there's not even a really good way to figure out what has drivers on Windows RT. Microsoft does have a compatibility, but it's not super helpful with Windows RT... Although I'm having trouble finding any external disc drives that work according to that list. (Windows Compatibility Center)

How much storage you need depends on how you use it. For what you're doing, the 16GB that are free on the cheaper model may be enough with all of your documents syncing to SkyDrive anyway. And yeah, you can add up to 64GB via MicroSD plus any external hard drive or flash drive you may have.

Here is an external disc drive that doesn't work, according to them. So yeah, sadly none work with rt.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...are%26tempOsid%3DWindows%2B8.1&token=8-TGD56K

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Here is an external disc drive that doesn't work, according to them. So yeah, sadly none work with rt.

Windows 8.1 compatibility for Samsung SE-S084C DVD Burner model
Are you certain that they don't say they are incompatible because Windows 8.1 RT doesn't support DVD "movie" playback...like maybe some of the other apps (e.g., VLC if it ever shows up) would provide DVD playback? Or do you think that it actually has no drivers that would work and won't even recognize that a drive is attached?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you certain that they don't say they are incompatible because Windows 8.1 RT doesn't support DVD "movie" playback...like maybe some of the other apps (e.g., VLC if it ever shows up) would provide DVD playback? Or do you think that it actually has no drivers that would work and won't even recognize that a drive is attached?

I'm not sure. And besides, vlc isn't on rt yet.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
So I am impressed with what I have read! The nokia 2520 seems to disappoint me a little I am leaning towards this.... I would be using it for word, pp, etc. Web browsing and so forth. I have a 11" Asus laptop I like and use for class but looking for something to use that will get me by at home for at least two years..... Few questions....
Can I connect my external DVD drive to it? Also would you guys reccomend 32gb or 64gb? I know 8.1 takes up some space and especially this was the case with the original rt. From what I read each can expand to 64 tops, is that right? Plus usb? Not huge on apps I just want a computer/tablet that I can use to upload photos or throw on a USB drive and also be able to do the basic functions of a laptop. ITunes isn't an issue so I don't see the point for me of getting a pro, just hoping this has some future proof to it! Also those holding out for the nokia I would love to hear your reasons... And no I will not be taking pics with it ha! Skype at the most... Sorry for the newbie questions I'm coming from a useless Nexus 7 (imo) and then previous boring and again useless ipad! Thanks ahead of time!
A Surface 2 w/TypeCover2 would definitely perform comparably to an Asus 11" netbook with regard to word, powerpoint, web, etc.

I've connected every USB device that I own and my RT has recognized it... including my Blue Yeti USB mic (which other tabs don't support, or don't support easily).

I have 17GB free on my 32GB RT. As others have said, a 64GB microSD card makes a great expansion option. If money isn't an issue, certainly go for the 64GB model and TypeCover2, and add a 64GB microSD card. If money is tight, go for the 32GB model and TypeCover2. In my opinion the TypeCover2 is a must-have purchase.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, Type Cover 2 is fantastic and really Surface is incomplete without a keyboard cover. The fact that these things exist is probably the one thing that makes Surface 'better' than other tablets. Without one it is just a slightly awkwardly-proportioned tablet without many apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes