02-17-2014 12:31 PM
111 12345
tools
    Thank you for the link!
    11-20-2013 05:29 PM
    So just an update...

I received mine on Monday and have spent quite a few hours with it. Here are my thoughts:

PROS
    - This is one slick tablet (is it a tablet?). The screen is beautiful and everything works nicely.
    - This FINALLY makes Windows 8 make sense. I have Win8 on my desktop and pretty much don't use ANY of the newer UI features. But here--that's all I want to use.
    - Wow--this has completely replaced my laptop. I just need Word, a browser, some of the most popular apps (social media, Bible, etc) and I'm good--and I get all those here. Seamless, simple and non-distracting.
    - Multiple user accounts! Nice!
    - Plug into a second display! Super nice--it just became a full desktop!
    - Got a type keyboard. Wow--soooo slick.

CONS
    - I love the apps, but I hate it when it takes me out of the app experience. Why in the world does it throw me to a desktop when I start Word? I don't even want to see the desktop.
    - I like SkyDrive a lot, but I find SugarSync to be better when it comes to sharing my family's files between machines--especially the Surface. It won't just put shared folders together under SkyDrive unfortunately.
    - There's just not enough apps. And those available still feel first generation because they are. A lot of my iPad apps don't have alternatives here, so I can't replace my iPad just yet.
    - I want to love the cool music kit I got, but geez, could there be less documentation? LOL

Anyway, the long and short of it is that it replaces my laptop easy--and is better than my laptop was for what I used it for. But it doesn't replace my iPad yet. If developers would create better/more apps and if Microsoft would streamline the experience to completely lock the desktop out on the RT units, it would be perfect.
    11-20-2013 05:42 PM
    Nice! Glad to hear you like it! I really wish mine would get here... Still haven't received my shipping/tracking info email yet..

Maybe there's some documentation within the music kit app? I'm sure there's a pdf or user's guide online somewhere.
    11-20-2013 06:51 PM
    Maybe there's some documentation within the music kit app? I'm sure there's a pdf or user's guide online somewhere.
    I haven't been able to find documentation. There's some brief pop-up guidance when you start the app, but as someone who hasn't even used Garageband before, I'm a bit lost. That said, I have a feeling if I find a good Garageband tutorial online, it would teach me basically the same thing. I'll try that route.

Here's hoping yours comes soon!
    11-21-2013 08:22 AM
    - This FINALLY makes Windows 8 make sense. I have Win8 on my desktop and pretty much don't use ANY of the newer UI features. But here--that's all I want to use.
    agreed... now if only I could stop myself from touching the screens on my laptop/desktop.
    - Multiple user accounts! Nice!
    Got into work the other day, logged into the network and within 1hr, people came to find me to borrow it. They needed to run some authentication tests. Created an account for them and handed it off. They used it all day and gave it back to me with 79% battery left.
    - I love the apps, but I hate it when it takes me out of the app experience. Why in the world does it throw me to a desktop when I start Word? I don't even want to see the desktop.
    I thought the same thing UNTIL I found you could run the desktop along side a metro app. check that out.
    - I like SkyDrive a lot, but I find SugarSync to be better when it comes to sharing my family's files between machines--especially the Surface. It won't just put shared folders together under SkyDrive unfortunately.
    Ditto, but for me dropbox... though I like when all my docs/etc.. from all my machines with skydrive sync up.
    - There's just not enough apps. And those available still feel first generation because they are. A lot of my iPad apps don't have alternatives here, so I can't replace my iPad just yet.
    I now carry my iPad, Surface2, Surface pro 2 and cellphone whereever I go... hm...
    - I want to love the cool music kit I got, but geez, could there be less documentation? LOL.
    I would rather have better music. The selection of 4 songs to remix is awful. I hate hate hate linkin park so much. numetal sucks.
    11-21-2013 09:37 AM
    I would rather have better music. The selection of 4 songs to remix is awful. I hate hate hate linkin park so much. numetal sucks.
    Can it be used for more things other than using the sample songs they provided? Does it come with software where you could upload your own tracks and remix things?
    11-21-2013 02:44 PM
    Can it be used for more things other than using the sample songs they provided? Does it come with software where you could upload your own tracks and remix things?
    Yes. It does! From what I've read anyway...
    chezm likes this.
    11-21-2013 06:23 PM
    I haven't had time to try anything yet with it and whenever I come into work, people take it to borrow it for network testing.
    11-22-2013 08:25 AM
    11-22-2013 11:05 AM
    I got my surface 2 and music kit today. Pretty awesome stuff. It'll replace my old surface RT
    HeyCori and chezm like this.
    11-22-2013 03:42 PM
    Yes. It does! From what I've read anyway...
    Ok cool, if you get around to trying it out let us know...I am really pumped about this blade and would like to better understand the software flexibility.
    11-23-2013 11:56 AM
    I got my surface 2 and music kit today. Pretty awesome stuff. It'll replace my old surface RT
    I'm totally jealous.. Why can't I have mine yet? Sniff sniff...
    11-23-2013 12:22 PM
    Ok cool, if you get around to trying it out let us know...I am really pumped about this blade and would like to better understand the software flexibility.
    will do! If mine ever comes...
    11-23-2013 12:23 PM
    Mine is great!! So smooth and fast. Only problem is the speakers are quieter than my old Surface. Apparently the only fix to this is to exchange it.
    11-23-2013 04:05 PM
    Mine is great!! So smooth and fast. Only problem is the speakers are quieter than my old Surface. Apparently the only fix to this is to exchange it.
    Well that's not good to hear.. :(
    11-23-2013 08:53 PM
    give us a very depth review of the product, then give it to me as a Christmas present. Thank you in advance!
    11-24-2013 04:51 PM
    wait are you people winning the music kit?! I want to buy my own already!!!
    11-24-2013 04:52 PM
    wait are you people winning the music kit?! I want to buy my own already!!!

Yeah, I won my music kit. I haven't used it and plan on selling it on eBay it Craigslist.
    11-24-2013 05:50 PM
    Jeez... this wait is killing me.
    11-24-2013 07:46 PM
    Yeah, I won my music kit. I haven't used it and plan on selling it on eBay it Craigslist.
    wow if you sold it prior to release you'd make some serious cash...man i want one so badly.
    11-25-2013 12:48 PM
    wow if you sold it prior to release you'd make some serious cash...man i want one so badly.
    I'm not sure how much to sell the cover for though. I was thinking $130-150. But I have no idea.
    11-25-2013 05:34 PM
    I'm not sure how much to sell the cover for though. I was thinking $130-150. But I have no idea.
    I think you could get $130-150...does it come with pre-loaded software or a usb of some sort? Without that you might not get much cause im guessing it'd be useless without it?
    11-26-2013 01:49 PM
    I think you could get $130-150...does it come with pre-loaded software or a usb of some sort? Without that you might not get much cause im guessing it'd be useless without it?
    It downloads and installs the app from the store automatically when you click in the Music Blade keyboard.
    11-27-2013 08:34 PM
    I'm keeping mine.. Can't wait to play with it!
    11-27-2013 08:54 PM
    They just opened a new Microsoft Store here in town (Jacksonville, FL.), so I stopped in to check it out and play with the new Surfaces. They had one of the Remix Music Blades there; played with it briefly, (there was a crowd) but also got to have a good sit down with a Surface2 to see what it could do. Wow! Thing's pretty fast! This is really an impressive device.. even the RT version! I'll be quite happy once mine arrives.

I was also wanting to feel just how thick the Surface2 was with a Type Cover 2 on it... Without all the cables and security devices holding down to the table like they have at Staples and Best Buy. No, the Microsoft salespeople were more than happy to allow me to hold the tablet freely and sit down with it to play.

So, by my visit, I got a good preview of what to expect when my Surface2 w/Music kit arrives as I hadn't really yet played with the Surface tablets all that much. And I am also like 99.99998789% sure, that I have no idea which color Type Cover2 I want... I like them ALL!!!
    11-27-2013 09:39 PM
111 12345