labels disappear on small tiles?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Any way to keep a label on a small tile?

It's up to the developer to do that, some tiles when reduced to the smallest size have
not only an icon but some letters or numbers on it -but there are limits for obvious reasons.
Is that what you mean by labels ?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I keep some bookmarks on the start screen and when I shrink the tile to smallest size to be able to keep it tidy I notice the label I gave the bookmark has disappeared. The "IE" symbol replaces it but I can no longer tell which is which. A small label of two or three letters would suffice. I was keeping different files on the desktop that contained frequently visited sites but it takes more steps to get them out and once out I'm unable to get back to the open file to get the next one. I seem to have to get back in to the desktop from the start screen all over again. I may be missing something there, but having the smallest tiles for bookmarks right on the start screen would be more convenient I think.
EDIT: I think I figured out what Microsofts solution is, just hover the cursor over each tile until it shows the label. This will work, just gotta get used to it.
FWIW: I'm going for the Nokia Lumia 929 when its released soon on Verizon and it will be my first windows phone. In preparation for this I put a windows phone theme on my android phone so I could get used to the UI . well, on the theme I was allowed to put labels on the small tiles. Worked great, so naturally I thought the dev got this from the actual windows interface. Ha,ha. I'm in transition mode, but I'm a quick study(usually) ;)

Last edited:

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I keep some bookmarks on the start screen and when I shrink the tile to smallest size to be able to keep it tidy I notice the label I gave the bookmark has disappeared. The "IE" symbol replaces it but I can no longer tell which is which. A small label of two or three letters would suffice. I was keeping different files on the desktop that contained frequently visited sites but it takes more steps to get them out and once out I'm unable to get back to the open file to get the next one. I seem to have to get back in to the desktop from the start screen all over again. I may be missing something there, but having the smallest tiles for bookmarks right on the start screen would be more convenient I think.
EDIT: I think I figured out what Microsofts solution is, just hover the cursor over each tile until it shows the label. This will work, just gotta get used to it.
FWIW: I'm going for the Nokia Lumia 929 when its released soon on Verizon and it will be my first windows phone. In preparation for this I put a windows phone theme on my android phone so I could get used to the UI . well, on the theme I was allowed to put labels on the small tiles. Worked great, so naturally I thought the dev got this from the actual windows interface. Ha,ha. I'm in transition mode, but I'm a quick study(usually) ;)
If you are using these tiles as shortcuts (bookmarks?) to other files, folders, or websites, you can find the reference to that tile within the file structure under your user account. There, you can (sometimes) change the icon for the file (if it is a desktop file) and change it to a custom icon or you can change the actual .png file for the tile (if it is a Modern UI shortcut). I have played around with this a bit, and unfortunately it is not consistent for all cases, i.e., some of the pinned IE sites I use will not allow the custom tile image to be used as I would like. Anyway, this may be a complicated method for you; I just used photoshop to make the custom icons/tiles that I want and can include text there if I like.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon